Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Willard South Marina
Drove to south marina today and noticed that there was still no water coming out of the baffles! Got to the marina and there was a truck and trailer by the ramp looked like it said fisher on the trailer. He was out where the buoys are at the mouth of the channel but couldn't see who it was. the ice seems to be breaking up in the marina I am wondering why they stopped the water from flowing. I think curt is right might be able to get on soon if the weather stays warm. Still a big sheet of ice out there. COME ON SUNSHINE!!!!
I also drove out to see what it was looking like. Water level looked good for launching.
[Image: 20230311-083955.jpg]
Thanks for the info and pic you two, I had a feeling after this warm spell and that wind, it would open up some more.
(03-12-2023, 01:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info and pic you two, I had a feeling after this warm spell and that wind, it would open up some more.

Curt does anyone know why they have stopped the flow of water at the so. marina? Are they diverting it at 12th street and sending it out to the great salt lake? Yesterday there was no water at the baffles.
(03-12-2023, 07:18 PM)oldguy Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 01:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the info and pic you two, I had a feeling after this warm spell and that wind, it would open up some more.

Curt does anyone know why they have stopped the flow of water at the so. marina? Are they diverting it at 12th street and sending it out to the great salt lake? Yesterday there was no water at the baffles.

If I were a betting man I'd say that's exactly what they are doing, wasting that water by putting it into the GSL. If I had a say in it, I'd say fill the lakes we need first before putting any water into the GSL. Soon there will be so such water melting in the mountains that they can't put it all into the GSL and they will start putting some of it back into Willard, at least I hope so. Undecided
(03-12-2023, 07:53 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 07:18 PM)oldguy Wrote:

If I were a betting man I'd say that's exactly what they are doing, wasting that water by putting it into the GSL. If I had a say in it, I'd say fill the lakes we need first before putting any water into the GSL. Soon there will be so such water melting in the mountains that they can't put it all into the GSL and they will start putting some of it back into Willard, at least I hope so. Undecided
Or - you could call Weber Basin Water tomorrow and ask them.  Just sayin'.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-12-2023, 08:00 AM)Pennyfarmer2 Wrote: I also drove out to see what it was looking like. Water level looked good for launching.   

Approx 5' in the marina out from the northern most ramp. Channel depth topped out around 13' in the center. Clarity was less than a foot in the channel, marginally better in the bay. Water temp crawled over 40 for a short while in the marina, a few less in the bay, and 34  next to the ice sheet. I did my part in clearing the ice out faster. I made several high-speed wave making passes near the icebergs.
[Image: 20230312-160155.jpg]

[Image: 20230312-163614.jpg]
(03-13-2023, 01:46 AM)EyLayo Wrote:
(03-12-2023, 08:00 AM)Pennyfarmer2 Wrote: I also drove out to see what it was looking like. Water level looked good for launching.   

Approx 5' in the marina out from the northern most ramp. Channel depth topped out around 13' in the center. Clarity was less than a foot in the channel, marginally better in the bay. Water temp crawled over 40 for a short while in the marina, a few less in the bay, and 34  next to the ice sheet. I did my part in clearing the ice out faster. I made several high-speed wave making passes near the icebergs.

Well, well good on you for starting the boating season
Thanks for getting out there and checking it out Shawn. Once you were out into the Bay about how big is the area that is open from East to West, is it over a 1/2 mile long? Looks like that ice will be gone very soon.
Alan, the twitch in my left eye was starting to make driving unsafe. Glad i was finally able to soothe that itch. Curt, not sure on distance, but the island was still under ice if that helps. The one picture is pointed right at the light pole in the distance
Speaking of the island, can someone give me the lat/long numbers for it? I shamefully admit that since getting a boat, I have been unable to positively find the darn thing.
(03-13-2023, 04:00 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Speaking of the island, can someone give me the lat/long numbers for it? I shamefully admit that since getting a boat, I have been unable to positively find the darn thing.

Just troll straight out of the south marina for a ways and you should find it just like I did on my first trip ever to Willard last year. Didn't quite beach the boat but it was close, went from 12 feet of water to less than 2 feet right out in the bay so I assume that's the island your looking for?

I believe this might be the gps coordinates: Lat: N 41degrees 22.018 minutes and Lon: W 112 degrees 05.423 minutes
(03-13-2023, 01:46 AM)EyLayo Wrote:

Thanks for the report Shawn Hope to get out later in the week!
(03-13-2023, 04:00 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Speaking of the island, can someone give me the lat/long numbers for it? I shamefully admit that since getting a boat, I have been unable to positively find the darn thing.

Not sure if this is the same location but it's a start, hopefully someone else can confirm these cords:
https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...?tid=58596

I've never heard it called a sunken island but there are normally buoys on or close to it. I do know it is 1.1 miles from the mouth of the channel going to the South marina. The way I find it early in the Spring before they put buoys on it, I line up the ramp in the South marina through the channel, as long as I can see the ramp I know I will run into it after I leave the South marina.
Thanks!
(03-12-2023, 09:58 PM)dubob Wrote: Or - you could call Weber Basin Water tomorrow and ask them.  Just sayin'.  ?

Talked to Bob this morning and he said he called weber basin water and found out why the water was shut off going to the South channel, they are installing a new pump. Ira and I noticed they were bringing in that new pump last Friday, so they should be about done now and will hopefully open the water gates back up, very soon. Thanks Bob for reaching out to them and getting the low down.
(03-15-2023, 04:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Talked to Bob this morning and he said he called weber basin water and found out why the water was shut off going to the South channel, they are installing a new pump. Ira and I noticed they were bringing in that new pump last Friday, so they should be about done now and will hopefully open the water gates back up, very soon. Thanks Bob for reaching out to them and getting the low down.
Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I went to the South Marina Sarurday for a look. Seen the baffles were up and running hard.. Lots of water comming in.
Looked out to the North West and seen open water as far as my eyes could see. There was some ice at the far end at the north.. without driving over for a look I would suspect it is all broken ice piled up on the rocks..
Also seen a few light boats putting in at the ramps..and all the docks were floating..
Very promising.