Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Floor Replacement
The floor in my boat is rotted and I need to replace it.  Does anyone know where I can get marine grade plywood locally?
(03-14-2023, 11:14 PM)mjlevie Wrote: The floor in my boat is rotted and I need to replace it.  Does anyone know where I can get marine grade plywood locally?

I'm sure you can get it no matter where you live but I got mine from Wheelwright lumber in Ogden. If you don't live up here, 
I'd suggest you just call around to your local lumbers stores.
(03-15-2023, 12:30 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 11:14 PM)mjlevie Wrote: The floor in my boat is rotted and I need to replace it.  Does anyone know where I can get marine grade plywood locally?

I'm sure you can get it no matter where you live but I got mine from Wheelwright lumber in Ogden. If you don't live up here, 
I'd suggest you just call around to your local lumbers stores.

Curt is right, I replaced mine 5½ years ago getting marine treated plywood at Wheelwright. They have a couple of different size thickness. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I don't know how you feel about home Depot lumber but my son in law got his from them he did have to order it as well

MacBeath Hardwood
 Lumber store
1576 S 300 W · (801) 484-7616
SLC UT
Look into carbon fiber board instead of marine plywood. Also, when you go to re carpet, check out Sea Deck ! The carbon fiber sheets may be a bit more expensive, but it does not rot !! Sea Deck is fantastic, wish I knew about it when I re carpeted my rig !!
Thanks for the input. I'll look into those. Definitely looking into the Sea Deck instead of carpet.

(03-15-2023, 03:47 PM)Therapist Wrote: Look into carbon fiber board instead of marine plywood.  Also, when you go to re carpet, check out Sea Deck !  The carbon fiber sheets may be a bit more expensive, but it does not rot !!  Sea Deck is fantastic, wish I knew about it when I re carpeted my rig !!

Where do you get your carbon fiber board?  What thickness would you use?

Thanks.
(03-15-2023, 07:18 PM)mjlevie Wrote: Thanks for the input.  I'll look into those.  Definitely looking into the Sea Deck instead of carpet.

(03-15-2023, 03:47 PM)Therapist Wrote: Look into carbon fiber board instead of marine plywood.  Also, when you go to re carpet, check out Sea Deck !  The carbon fiber sheets may be a bit more expensive, but it does not rot !!  Sea Deck is fantastic, wish I knew about it when I re carpeted my rig !!

Where do you get your carbon fiber board?  What thickness would you use?

Thanks.

If this is a fishing boat, my suggestion is use a marine grade vinyl flooring over the wood. Carpet holds a lot of dirt and when your dealing with scents & bait's it can't destroy the carpet sooner. A washdown helps if one is not installed. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-15-2023, 07:42 PM)Bduck Wrote:

If this is a fishing boat, my suggestion is use a marine grade vinyl flooring over the wood. Carpet holds a lot of dirt and when your dealing with scents & bait's it can't destroy the carpet sooner. A washdown helps if one is not installed. 

That's exactly what I did with my last boat, used vinyl flooring over the wood.
I to got my marine grade plywood from Wheelwright lumber. I used a roll on flooring called Duraback. I think I did it over 5 years ago and it looks as good as the day I put it down. It comes in several different colors.
(03-15-2023, 10:01 PM)nofish2 Wrote: I to got my marine grade plywood from Wheelwright lumber. I used a roll on flooring called Duraback. I think I did it over 5 years ago and it looks as good as the day I put it down. It comes in several different colors.

I've used Durabak in mine as well. I didn't use Marine Grade plywood, just basic stuff. Bombproof! My boat gets 130 days a year of use in all kinds of Flaming Gorge weather. Durabak for the win. I coated the bottom of the plywood with epoxy to seal it.
It has been years since I looked into it so I can't remember the outfit (early on set Alzheimer's, can't remember a thing !!) I know there were at least two outlets in SLC that carried it. It was a corrugated composite that came in various thickness'. They also carried the resin for it. Sea Deck is sold by the guys at the Snow Dog/ Minn Kota repair outfit in Orem ( name????).
Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.
I believe you are talking about Backwater. They are the snowdog outfit in Orem
Wheelwright lumber is where I got mine , it's pricey.