Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Fish Stocking Plans
Please note that I have not and will not say anybody else's preferences are wrong. I am merely observing that fish management in Utah is changing. Some may say for the better and some for the worse, but it IS changing.

What I fish FOR and what I'm happy to fight can be two different things.
Pound for pound wipers are the hardest fighting fish around, and I’d love to see more around. I do like catching trout, but mostly on flies in rivers and streams. I too grew up where it was flat and the allure of catching trout in cold, clear streams was strong. I love the smell of willows and sage brush alongside streams and longed for the chance to fish for trout. Eventually moved to UT to be able to do that, among other things. I still love to catch trout on the fly - there are few things better when the stream you are fishing is in the middle of a mountain valley. I don’t get that same feeling catching them out of a boat, but I’ll never take that away from anyone else.

I guess what I’m saying is I’d take wipers over trout in a lake, but I love trout on a fly rod in the river. As far as table fare goes? Wipers hands down!
I've been checking stocking records off and on for several years. In the last couple of years I got interested in finding out about kokanee and wipers. What I have seen is a blossoming of stocking in new places. I've learned about some excellent fisheries that are somewhat off the beaten track but not really too far to go to. I might have to break out of my rut and go to a couple of these lakes. I'll leave it up to you to do the research and find what you are looking for. I'm not saying these places are big secrets but I didn't know about them and I suspect the pressure is lower at these less-known spots.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.