Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
not sure if this stuff will work here jigging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXXF9jqgk4&t=163s

look at his YouTube channel he has some good live scope videos
Unfortunately we don't have WB like that! All he is doing is adapting the size of his Jig hd to conditions. Lots of wind, heavier hd!! I am not to anxious to go out on Utah Lake or Willard Bay in that kind of wind, to dangerous. Nice video though!! Oh to be able to afford such a toy!!!
(03-20-2023, 05:32 PM)liketrolling Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bXXF9jqgk4&t=163s

look at his YouTube channel he has some good live scope videos

It could work - nasty weather for this guy but sounds like he was having a fun time nonetheless. 

Thanks for sharing this....
(03-20-2023, 05:53 PM)Therapist Wrote: Unfortunately we don't have WB like that! All he is doing is adapting the size of his Jig hd to conditions.  Lots of wind, heavier hd!!  I am not to anxious to go out on Utah Lake or Willard Bay in that kind of wind,  to dangerous.  Nice video though!!  Oh to be able to afford such a toy!!!

His conditions are different than ours. But we can adapt. He's fishing in 35 ft and some of his fish were whipers,  we have big wipers here.  
When wipers school up I have caught them fast.  I was surprised to see the water temperature was 35 degrees. Maybe that's where our wipers are now in this cold water, the deepest water on the lake.
Thanks for the youtube link.
While I love the different opportunities here in UT, sometimes I really miss the fishing back home in OK. This was a couple years ago using live shad. We had multiple fish on, guys unhooking fish, fish flopping in the boat…it was complete chaos until our bait ran out in about 1.5 hrs. We were fishing 22 FOW and it was thick from 5 feet down to the bottom. Lots of good 4 -6 pound fish that day. Still one of my best outings for wipers!
[Image: 07-D1-E79-A-6-B28-4-FCC-A9-B3-89-A58-FF87-D29.jpg]
Yes, the technique can work, in the right conditions. The white bass in Utah Lake are like that when they spawn, and I have found that in the correct locations on UL it is just that fast. Normally I use small spinners instead of jigs, but sometimes I do use jigs.

Keep in mind, the fish need to be schooled up, they need to be active, and this means they either are spawning, pre-Spawn, or school feeding on minnows. The UL white bass are pre-spawn and spawn. In Lake Powell, it is schools feeding on shad and Stripers are the fish. I have seen schools of Crappie do this on schools of perch minnows, but in my 60+ years, maybe twice or three times. Perch often school up that way when just feeding as a large school, but most of the time bait works better.

The method shown is not new, nor is it unique, but it is JUST A TOOL. No tool is right all the time, not even Tube Dudes fligs. LOL Sorry Pat.
So right now, WB in the midwest and South are moving into rivers and creeks to spawn. What this guy is doing is hitting them where they are staging at the mouth of a creek, river, etc. When the water temps hits about 40-45 they will move into the river and spawn. Same thing happens at UT Lake. They will stage at the mouth of the Provo, Spanish Fork, Battle Ceek, and inlet stream with running water. If they are able to run up the river( Provo & Spanish Fork) they will, otherwise they will hit the nearest gravel bed and spawn. It will be interesting to see how the new Provo River Delta will affect the WB spawn. They utilize the Hobble Creek project, you just can';t access it from the lake very well. The big ditch that drains the Provo water tx plant is always a big spawning area ! Any place there is water entering the lake will attract the WB & walleye for spawning. DWR collects male WB in the ditches around Provo Airport to use in the Wiper program. They can set a trap in the mouth of the ditch and capture all the WB they want, separate the males from the females, then hold them till the Stripers at Powell go into their spawn and they collect the eggs they need. The males are then injected with hormones to make them ripe, the milt is collected, and voila, you have Wipers !! quite the process !! This year there will be alot of small streams entering Utah Lake, so the WB (and walleye) will tend to scatter out more. Walleye also will spawn on clean gravel around the lake, where WB tend to spawn in the running water. Again, it will be interesting to see how the Provo River Delta project will affect the WB spawn as the flow in the river below the project is going to be cut.

By the way MWScott72, sand bass fishing in OK is ok, but it is much better on the rivers in MO!! 2-3lb average during the spawning run !!
Therapist-
“Sand bass”…don’t hear that around here too often. Sounds like you do have a better fish further east. Our OK fish where I grew up fishing (Canton and Sooner Lakes) probably averaged 14-16” and about 2 lbs. There were bigger for sure, but that was the average. Now, the hybrid fishing - that has really took off in the last 20 years. Lots of 20”+ fish and size range between 4-6 lbs average with the occasional 8 or 9+ pounder.
Good info, Therapist. I just can't figure out what and where the "big ditch that drains the Provo water tx plant" are. Could you please clear that up for me?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(03-26-2023, 07:58 PM)catchinon Wrote: Good info, Therapist. I just can't figure out what and where the "big ditch that drains the Provo water tx plant" are. Could you please clear that up for me?

One good wastewater treatment inflow is about 1 mi. NW of Lindon Harbor.  Almost always some white bass there.  And depending on water level and flow there can be walleyes and kitties too.

[Image: WATER-TREATMENT.jpg]  [Image: WASTE-WATER-INFLOW.jpg]

(03-20-2023, 09:30 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 05:53 PM)Therapist Wrote: Unfortunately we don't have WB like that! All he is doing is adapting the size of his Jig hd to conditions.  Lots of wind, heavier hd!!  I am not to anxious to go out on Utah Lake or Willard Bay in that kind of wind,  to dangerous.  Nice video though!!  Oh to be able to afford such a toy!!!

depth was 35ft that is what was showing on screen. Air temp was freezing, not sure he mentioned the water temp, we get freezing temps here with water temp in 50’s sometimes.
Mildog out!

His conditions are different than ours. But we can adapt. He's fishing in 35 ft and some of his fish were whipers,  we have big wipers here.  
When wipers school up I have caught them fast.  I was surprised to see the water temperature was 35 degrees. Maybe that's where our wipers are now in this cold water, the deepest water on the lake.
Thanks for the youtube link.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Glad TD got involved in this!! His knowledge of Utah Lake is better than mine. The drainage "ditch" for the Provo Water Tx Plant goes under I15, south of the South University exit. There are two canals, one for the Tx Plant and another to drain water from the golf course. Both empty into Mud Lake, with the ditch for the Tx Plant providing a channel out into Mud Lake. There is a small launch ramp for this canal, which is the first one that you hit on the "frontage rd". Get off on the 1st Springville exit, turn rt, the rt again. That dirt rd will go about a 1/2mile on the west side of I15. There is a small parking area and you can launch a small boat, raft, kayak, etc there. You have about a mile of canal till you hit Mud Lake, then you are on you own as far as navagation ! Mud lake should be good this year with all our water. You can also go under I15 through the culvert, IF the water is low enough. There is usually a pretty good current in both culverts, attracting lots of WB. I avoid fishing there any more due to the vandalism of vehicles that are parked there. I may take a trip or two into Mud Lake this spring, coming into it from the main Lake. Have caught some great LMB there, up to 5lbs flippin worms ( use a black gator tail w/chartruse tail w/pegged 1/4 oz. wt, 25lb mono, flipping stik ).

When UVU won the Western Collegiate finals about 10 yrs ago, the kids from AZ that won it fished this area both days. They ran in at full bore, on plane till they got to their area to fish, caught their 5 fish, then spent the rest of the day on their electric and w/a push pole to get back out. You could not put the big motor down, to shallow. They would have to start out by 10 AM as it would take them 3 hours or more to get to where they could get back on plane. It was a great strategy as they ran away with the event by over 5lbs in two days. Their total weight was around 15 lbs for two days.

So the fish are there, but hard to reach! It will be interesting to see how the new Provo River Delta will affect fishing. Right now, if the water is high enough, you should be able to access the Delta area and Powell's Slough. You still can't get the the Hobble Creek Restoration from the lake due to shallow water. Only access there is from the land side of the project !!

PS: I got introduced to Wipers in the lakes around OK City and Norman OK while attending Grad School at OU. Was very surprised when I caught my first Wiper !! This was before they began stocking them here !!
(04-03-2023, 07:04 AM)Therapist Wrote: Glad TD got involved in this!! His knowledge of Utah Lake is better than mine.  The drainage "ditch" for the Provo Water Tx Plant goes under I15, south of the South University exit.  There are two canals, one for the Tx Plant and another to drain water from the golf course.  Both empty into Mud Lake, with the ditch for the Tx Plant providing a channel out into Mud Lake.  There is a small launch ramp for this canal, which is the first one that you hit on the "frontage rd".  Get off on the 1st Springville exit, turn rt, the rt again.  That dirt rd will go about a 1/2mile on the west side of I15.  There is a small parking area and you can launch a small boat, raft, kayak, etc there.  You have about a mile of canal till you hit Mud Lake, then you are on you own as far as navagation !  Mud lake should be good this year with all our water.  You can also go under I15 through the culvert, IF the water is low enough. There is usually a pretty good current in both culverts, attracting lots of WB.  I avoid fishing there any more due to the vandalism of vehicles that are parked there.  I may take a trip or two into Mud Lake this spring, coming into it from the main Lake.  Have caught some great LMB there, up to 5lbs flippin worms ( use a black gator tail w/chartruse tail w/pegged 1/4 oz. wt, 25lb mono, flipping stik ).
I thought that might be the area you were referring to.  A lot of "regulars" refer to it as "Mill Race".  And, yes, it does attract both whities and harvesters.
[Image: MUD-LAKE-LAUNCH.jpg]

There is also the "new and improved" Hobble Creek inlet to the lake.  June suckers have been using it well, along with all of the other "usual suspects".
[Image: HOBBLE-CREEK.jpg]