Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 CAT CHAT
Welcome to the 2023 year of the catfish portion of the contest. Talking with Jeff It's going to begin on April 1st and that is when you all can start reeling in your 34"er but Lynn still has reservations on 36"er. Jeff has the rules and what not coming there was just an unfortunate computer mishap that slowed things down so I said I would break the ice. This thread is going to be like last couple of years where we can write anything about cats, chat, or a little light hearted razzing of the the north vs. south. So let's have fun both in chat and in the contest.
So I've been lazy until Craig mentioned the Flotilla. Then I got my buns in gear and started bringing 6 rods in the house at a time and cleaning prior year chicken, worm, shrimp, and catfish slime off the rods and reels and if the reels needed new line I replaced that. I'm wasteful I only keep line on a couple years but once it starts fraying or fading and I have to change it, it drives me nuts. Anyway I have 34 rods I need to clean, that is what I have for catfishing. Not sure why I bought so many other than I'm an addict.

Now I have to polish my boat and clean the seats with a conditioner. The trailer needs a light fixed and both bunk boards replaced still. I have the wood in my shed and the carpet, glue, and staples, I just need a warm day to put it together. I was going to do it last year just didn't get around to it.

Anybody else dusting off the catfish rods. I know many of you are putting away the ice rods so I guess we can give you a break.....
Hey Justin, thanks for getting things up and running... One thing I'm still working with is the north south competition... I'm not sure how I'm going to plow that into the new contest, but I'm still working on that... Just a heads up we will be having multi species contest this year, but the cats will be in a bracket all by themselves to keep the cat contest still alive... More later... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Cookie and I were pulling line off our cat reels the last couple days in prep to respool fresh.. I may be the last of mono line cat hunters. I spool up some 20 lbs mono - cause - that is what I always do...go figure. Since I use mostly circles hooks for cats I don't have to worry about hook set strech or the need to double sumo throw an over-the-shoulder wham bam rod bending drive the point home set. Ya, I have broke the 20 lbs line before but mostly due to my knots or not changing out frayed leader.

I may string my smaller ( Tube dude fliggn) cat rods with some braid this year. I normally have 10lbs line on them and I have been know to throw the spurs to that line on a hook set

Speaking of line... I normally spin it on myself but took all my light reels down to sportsman last week cause I just did not want to spin them. You all put your own line on or let the kind lady at the counter do the work for ya?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Lance I have a spooler that helps me. It's a plastic thing that is shaped like a hook that you put the reel on like a fishing rod and the line clips in a clamp. You tie your knot and begin reeling down and it spins the line on. It's made by piscifun and got it on Amazon for $29.95. It does spinning reels as well as baitcasters.

Your not alone on the mono. I get a lot of problems when I put braid on baitcasters so I use 30lb mono on them. I use 30lb braid on my spinning reels for catfish. Well most of them I do have 25lb spool of braid so apparently I use it occasionally

[Image: 46-AFD27-E-1-A91-4-AB3-9610-EF643-B286-A9-F.jpg]
Just for a little incentive to those in the catfish category I bought a few things that maybe somebody may use or may not your choice lol.... I have

1) whisker seeker tackle orange 30 lb mono 500 yards
2) kastking yellow 30lb mono 600 yards
3) gamakatsu 25 count 5/0 size

1 prize for first 30" catfish first person who records it
1 prize for first person who records 32" catfish
1 prize for first youth who records a 28" catfish
Thought I'd move this up to the top so it doesn't get lost.. Thanks to Justin for the point prizes he's offered for the catfish prizes... Looks like Richard almost claimed one of them... Somebody needs to follow Richard and Vi around, they have those cats dialed in spring or summer or fall... Hey I'm just looking for some feedback on your thoughts on the contest so far? We're seeing a good amount of interest (36 signed up so far) and we're starting to get some entries scattered through the different categories.. What are your thoughts so far? Is it fun to participate in?, is it fun to watch results? How can I make it better? Just curious... we'll probably start some random prizes when we get good weather for maybe a week or so, so we start to get more folks on the water... Was going to do a tax day challenge, but with this storm stirring things up and cooling down the temps, I think we may save that for April 22nd... In fact if I can get a prize lined out, lets start getting the word out for an April 22nd challenge... Maybe all that enter a fish in two categories that day will be entered in a drawing for the prize... Are you game for that contest 2 on 22 gets a tutu... Okay maybe not a tutu.... I'll work on a better prize... later Jeff
I'm enjoying it. Now that several people are getting after it it's fun to watch as leads change. My one issue is that not all the scoreboard displays. I can't see the last two categories. Anyone else have this problem?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(04-14-2023, 08:53 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm enjoying it. Now that several people are getting after it it's fun to watch as leads change. My one issue is that not all the scoreboard displays. I can't see the last two categories. Anyone else have this problem?

Look up top of that post right under the green text. It’s small but will pull up when you click on it.
Thanks, found it.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Cool to see Phong move up in the rankings today, he's been working hard pulling in lots of different species and some really big ones along the way... Nice job, but just noticed he's still tied with Richard that has done all that with one incredible cat... Interesting how diversity or excellence puts you in the same spot... Great job both of you guys... Jon's big carp and solid other fish keep him in first place, lots of ways you can do well in this contest... fun to watch it evolve... Thanks everyone for keeping things interesting, your little insignificant sucker could make the difference between who is #1 or #2, what one does can effect several others... Keep an eye on the changing horizon and it's never too late to catch a few and enter the contest... I'm aware of the first 30" cat of the season being caught and they weren't signed up for the contest... Too bad you missed out on one of Justin's prizes, so sign up if you haven't and get a placard to take with you... Later J
Dont' have time to make a post, but Justin and the boys really shook things up and put Richard back on top of the overall contest... Crazy and one of Justins boys won the first youth over 28" prize, he'll have to let us know who got the prize... Crazy day, but I'm going fishing so catch up tomorrow... Be on Willard in an hour or so... Later Jeff
Im giving both of my kids a pack a hooks because they both caught a 28"+ fish on the same day and I was in the boat. But..... That seems funny to me and I love to support the youth coming up so for the youth only I will throw in "1" more prize of hooks that go to the next youth that catches a 28" or bigger catfish.....they will be gamakatsu 25 pack 5/0 size just as before.

For the adult it will be the first posted 30" and first posted 32" catfish in the contest. Whoever posts first gets to pick between kastking yellow or whisker seeker orange mono line and then the next person gets what left. Both are 30 lb I believe.
Thanks Justin, that's great to take care of your boys and provide another prize on the board... That was great fish for those two to catch, congratulations... You guys really shook things up again... Fun for me to watch how the placements change... Had a few new entries today, but they pretty much just helped the individuals scores, but didn't change any rankings... Sure wish I could catch something besides catfish, but I'm sort of stuck on kitties.... Anyway hope some of the rest of you can get out and add some fish to your scores, sure makes the contest more interesting... later Jeff
Heads up everyone, we are in the last week of April, there is a really good chance we will have a drawing for everyone that has posted a fish to the contest during April, so if you want to qualify for the drawing this is your week to make sure you are part of the drawing... If you need help figuring out how to get entered please let us know sooner rather than later.. J
It has been a while since I have been on here. Where do we join the Cat contest for 2023? Last year my wife and I were out since our son decided to join this world 6.5 weeks early. He is now just over a year old. Took him out fishing for the first time this morning. Lol he didn't much care for the life jacket, but we will have to work on that. It is time to get back in the game.
[Image: IMG-4050.jpg]
Yeah, we missed you last year and I wondered what happened. It's good to see your soon looking so healthy. That must have been scary and hard.

(04-30-2023, 08:44 PM)catchinon Wrote: Yeah, we missed you last year and I wondered what happened. It's good to see your soon looking so healthy. That must have been scary and hard.

Yes it was a scary event. We were out of town for a family reunion and got another kind of a reunion. I wouldn’t wish for anyone to need a nicu, but I am sure glad we are at one of the best in the state. Lol just wish it wasn’t in st George and closer to home.
(04-29-2023, 09:43 PM)Acsendingcats Wrote: It has been a while since I have been on here. Where do we join the Cat contest for 2023? Last year my wife and I were out since our son decided to join this world 6.5 weeks early. He is now just over a year old. Took him out fishing for the first time this morning. Lol he didn't much care for the life jacket, but we will have to work on that. It is time to get back in the game. 
[Image: IMG-4050.jpg]
I’ll get you entered into the contest. We’re doing a new contest so check out the changes this year. Glad you got a new addition. Way to start him right. Later Jeff
Hey everyone time for the first random, sort of, drawing for contest participants.  I have assigned all 18 folks that entered fish during April a number and I have asked Jim (Pisco) to use a random drawing calculator to come up with a number which I will match with my list and we will get back with you with the winner of this months prize.  The winner will be able to choose between 3 great prizes.  I'll get the full details out when I do the winning post, but just so you know what they are, a fishing trip with Piscophillic, a set of flaits or an Ugly stick fishing rod... Prizes that are not selected will roll into future drawings where some additional prizes may be added.  Anyway start crossing your fingers so you'll get lucky in the drawing... More Later... Jeff

PS the sort of random refers to this was a monthly drawing and sometimes we will out of the blue do a drawing, so not all will be periodic... In order to allow Jim and I to participate in the drawings we have had me assign a number and Jim selects which number is chosen so we have two levels of randomness so you'll know we haven't been cheating... hope this works for everyone..