Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 3/26
Headed to strawberry in the morning anyone have any recent reports on conditions? Today or yesterday? Taking the sled out and it’s old and track is down to an inch or so, so my hope is the slush isn’t bad with the new snow and cold overnight temps. Any info welcome!!
Fished Strawberry this morning. Someone said to bring an extension for my auger. Spot on. Never seen ice/snow so deep. Ended up breaking my Milwaukee drill! Keep pulling up to get rid of the snow/ice/slush so the auger won’t get too bogged down. Had to dig a little hole for the drill because the ice is so thick. Extension would have been nice. The road in was sooo bad. I got there before the plow. It’s better now but was still blowing and drifting when I left. The parking lot also had big drifts. A few got stuck. The lake is great. My nephew’s sled is older with a short track and smaller lugs, he did just fine. It is deep but we never hit slush sledding. We were also pulling heavy sleds with big insulated tents and didn’t get bogged down. Fishing was great. Fished in 60 ft, caught them on the bottom and around 30’.
(03-26-2023, 01:36 AM)Troutster Wrote: Fished Strawberry this morning. Someone said to bring an extension for my auger. Spot on. Never seen ice/snow so deep. Ended up breaking my Milwaukee drill! Keep pulling up to get rid of the snow/ice/slush so the auger won’t get too bogged down. Had to dig a little hole for the drill because the ice is so thick. Extension would have been nice. The road in was sooo bad. I got there before the plow. It’s better now but was still blowing and drifting when I left. The parking lot also had big drifts. A few got stuck. The lake is great. My nephew’s sled is older with a short track and smaller lugs, he did just fine. It is deep but we never hit slush sledding. We were also pulling heavy sleds with big insulated tents and didn’t get bogged down. Fishing was great. Fished in 60 ft, caught them on the bottom and around 30’.

I appreciate the info, sounds like you guys had a great day!! I’m hoping for the same thing tomorrow. Headed south I think so I have an extension to add another 10/12”  so hopefully that will get me where I need to be! Wish me luck
Arrived to the lake about 7:15 temperature was -22 out. Went to the south end of the lake and had it all to myself. After shoveling through 3 feet of snow I got a hole cut that had my auger at its length limit (28in). Tent up, heater on, and lines in by 8 am in 64 FOW marked fish all through the column with the majority 75% of them 30’ and up. Couldn’t get any kokes to play today but ended the day with 30 cutts landed with the biggest just a whisker shy of 20”. Fishing was fast enough I had several fish swimming in my mini pond before finding the exit back to the depths. Picked up and left at 1 when the wind picked up. Great day and there’s lots of ice fishing life left on the Berry yet. Road into the marina goes down to one lane in multiple spots as they grapple with the snow load but I didn’t have any issues as traffic was light.
[Image: 8-AACECCB-24-DB-4-CA7-93-AD-B02353-E90265.jpg]

[Image: A4-A82-BE5-A7-F7-41-FF-AA7-C-D5-A7536880-DB.jpg]

[Image: B4-ED0-D30-9-A9-C-4578-ACD1-677-C63-C0327-B.jpg]
(03-27-2023, 12:51 AM)T-Boz Wrote: Arrived to the lake about 7:15 temperature was -22 out. Went to the south end of the lake and had it all to myself. After shoveling through 3 feet of snow I got a hole cut that had my auger at its length limit (28in). Tent up, heater on, and lines in by 8 am in 64 FOW marked fish all through the column with the majority 75% of them 30’ and up. Couldn’t get any kokes to play today but ended the day with 30 cutts landed with the biggest just a whisker shy of 20”. Fishing was fast enough I had several fish swimming in my mini pond before finding the exit back to the depths. Picked up and left at 1 when the wind picked up. Great day and there’s lots of ice fishing life left on the Berry yet. Road into the marina goes down to one lane in multiple spots as they grapple with the snow load but I didn’t have any issues as traffic was light.
[Image: 8-AACECCB-24-DB-4-CA7-93-AD-B02353-E90265.jpg]

[Image: A4-A82-BE5-A7-F7-41-FF-AA7-C-D5-A7536880-DB.jpg]

[Image: B4-ED0-D30-9-A9-C-4578-ACD1-677-C63-C0327-B.jpg]

Sounds like a fun time.  Did you catch any rainbows?
Unfortunately no rainbows were harmed this trip