kokanee strawberry fish stocking information
[Image: strawberry-fish-stock.jpg]

strawberry had two dumps on 2 21 23 of kokanee

2022   rainbows    286,160
          Cutthroats  441,687

2021    Rainbows  369,633
           Cutthroats   760,996
Thanks for the update.
Any idea how they get that make kokes into the lake with so much ice on the lake, even the streams are frozen aren't they?
Robert, Were you able to get your boat trailer repaired?
(03-28-2023, 10:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Any idea how they get that make kokes into the lake with so much ice on the lake, even the streams are frozen aren't they?

put two new tires on and two new springs 

need to put right fender on and new right tail light
(03-28-2023, 10:18 PM)liketrolling Wrote:
(03-28-2023, 10:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Any idea how they get that make kokes into the lake with so much ice on the lake, even the streams are frozen aren't they?

put two new tires on and two new springs 

need to put right fender on and new right tail light

Great, glad you almost got it back together. Let me know when you got it finished, so we can try Willard again.
Thanks for letting me know how many kokes they have planted this year.
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated

Yeah how do they plant with this much ice and snow?
Cut a hole in the ice and pump them in!!
(04-05-2023, 02:51 AM)UTFISHING Wrote: Cut a hole in the ice and pump them in!!

That would be possible if the ramps were plowed and accessible but this winter with over 5 feet of snow on the ramp I'm curious how they would even get a tanker truck anywhere near the reservoir?
Just curious, but can they plant them in the creek where they catch them during the spawn? I suspect it would be accessible just off the road and pretty sure it's not frozen solid... but would it be deep enough to carry the fish into the reservoir? When I've been up after steelhead on the salmon river we will have times when clouds of minnows come flowing through and they told me that the fish and game were planting the fish upstream and letting them wash to the ocean... Seems to be working for them... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Just a wild guess, but I suppose aerial stocking might not work with an ice cover on the lake.

[Image: Aerial-Stocking-Utah.jpg]

Always good to go to the source when one has a question. I asked Alan Ward how they planted the kokanee when Strawberry was frozen and this was his reply:

"Kent,

The bulk of our Kokanee get stocked into the streams at any time that they are stocked, so we cut a hole in the ice at the bridge on the Strawberry River by the Visitors Center, and ran the pipe straight through the hole into the water. We have done this in the past as well, and the fish held for observation have done very well going in that time of year. These fish also move out of the streams and into the reservoir very quickly.

The long version is that we are conducting some studies on kokanee survival when stocked at different times. There is some evidence that stocking them early (under the ice) may be advantageous, and another study that indicated later stocks (early summer) may actually do better. Therefore, we are stocking our kokanee this year at three different time periods (with three distinct marks on them) to see if there is a clear advantage to any specific stocking time. Hope that helps.

Alan"
(04-05-2023, 05:53 PM)Kent Wrote: Always good to go to the source when one has a question.  I asked Alan Ward how they planted the kokanee when Strawberry was frozen and this was his reply:

"Kent,

The bulk of our Kokanee get stocked into the streams at any time that they are stocked, so we cut a hole in the ice at the bridge on the Strawberry River by the Visitors Center, and ran the pipe straight through the hole into the water.  We have done this in the past as well, and the fish held for observation have done very well going in that time of year.  These fish also move out of the streams and into the reservoir very quickly.

The long version is that we are conducting some studies on kokanee survival when stocked at different times.  There is some evidence that stocking them early (under the ice) may be advantageous, and another study that indicated later stocks (early summer) may actually do better.  Therefore, we are stocking our kokanee this year at three different time periods (with three distinct marks on them) to see if there is a clear advantage to any specific stocking time.  Hope that helps.

Alan"

Thanks Kent for reaching out to Alan, to get the rest of the story. I had feeling that was likely what they did, cut a hole in the ice there at the river, nothing else makes much sense. I wonder if they used a chain saw or just an ice auger hole Undecided, not that it matters much.
I'm wondering how they mark the different stocking groups so you know which group you caught fish from????
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-05-2023, 01:47 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 02:51 AM)UTFISHING Wrote: Cut a hole in the ice and pump them in!!

That would be possible if the ramps were plowed and accessible but this winter with over 5 feet of snow on the ramp I'm curious how they would even get a tanker truck anywhere near the reservoir?

They do it in the river where they will come back to spawn.

Atleast that's what my understanding is.