Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice surprise at Dmv
Made a trip to my favorite guv building yesterday. To my surprise they now are issuing non expiring boat trailer plates. Only cost 7 bucks and it's good to go til I decide to sell it. I asked about ones already titled and require yearly renewal. She said it can easily be switched over to non expiring ones. It's a similar process they are doing with retro issuing atv's that need plates due to new legislation
This sounds really good to me. I just did my annual registration in March. I guess I can save myself a headache from standing in line until next year.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Not all boat trailers are required to be licensed, single axle are not required, just tandem axle or larger. So I can understand them only charging $7 but but for tandem axle trailers that's a deal.
What is this you are talking about, with ATV's needing license plates?
Here you go curt

https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...pid1142251
(04-04-2023, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Not all boat trailers are required to be licensed, single axle are not required, just tandem axle or larger. So I can understand them only charging $7 but but for tandem axle trailers that's a deal.

So tandem  axle trailers can do this also for $7?
Yep this post was pertaining to a plate for a tandem axle boat trailer. I do not know if it applies to other utility or enclosed tandem trailers. I'll find out as those registrations expire in the coming months. Got my fingers crossed
[Image: Screenshot-20230404-145136-Outlook.jpg]
(04-04-2023, 07:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Not all boat trailers are required to be licensed, single axle are not required, just tandem axle or larger. So I can understand them only charging $7 but but for tandem axle trailers that's a deal.

That is correct ATVs now get plates instead of decals.
(04-04-2023, 08:25 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Here you go curt

https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...pid1142251
LOL, that's funny that I already took that ATV test but haven't licensed my ATV, guess I was just wondering if they will give us a license plate but that question has now been answered, thanks.
(04-04-2023, 08:55 PM)jjannie Wrote:

I just did mine and only got the sticker not a plate is the plate only for new ones?
(04-05-2023, 12:00 AM)oldguy Wrote:

I just did mine and only got the sticker not a plate is the plate only for new ones?

Did they tell you that you needed to put a decal number on your ATV like a license plate number?

Curt, just an fyi and to hopefully keep you out of trouble, but any trailer (does not matter how many axles) that weighs more than 750lbs must be registered in Utah.
I know, we really get bent over in Utah.
ElLayo’s post has given me hope though!
(04-05-2023, 02:58 AM)MrShane Wrote:

Curt, just an fyi and to hopefully keep you out of trouble, but any trailer (does not matter how many axles) that weighs more than 750lbs must be registered in Utah.
I remember this conversation from many years back and I know that's what the law says but very few, if any, single axle trailers weigh over 750 lbs. I know I was very curious about that, so I took my boat off my trailer and had it weighed at that check station just North of Willard, mine has an extended Tongue and it only weighed 550 lbs. Thanks for the reminder Shane.
(04-05-2023, 02:26 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 12:00 AM)oldguy Wrote:
No they just sent the sticker to put on  .They just said that I had to take the atv course.

Did they tell you that you needed to put a decal number on your ATV like a license plate number?
(04-05-2023, 12:45 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 02:58 AM)MrShane Wrote:

I remember this conversation from many years back and I know that's what the law says but very few, if any, single axle trailers weigh over 750 lbs. I know I was very curious about that, so I took my boat off my trailer and had it weighed at that check station just North of Willard, mine has an extended Tongue and it only weighed 550 lbs. Thanks for the reminder Shane.
I am one of the lucky ones with a single axle boat trailer that weighs over 750lbs.
Really pizzes me off every year to pay to register it.
Good luck at Willard this year. I think it is going to be a great year!
(04-05-2023, 03:04 PM)MrShane Wrote: I am one of the lucky ones with a single axle boat trailer that weighs over 750lbs.
Hey Buddy - you ain't alone.  The trailer under my ThunderJet is a single axle that weigh's in at over the 750 limit.  SO yes, I LIKE the new change to life time.  It will also work for my enclosed Snowdog trailer.  Life is getting better. ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-05-2023, 03:13 PM)dubob Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 03:04 PM)MrShane Wrote: I am one of the lucky ones with a single axle boat trailer that weighs over 750lbs.
Hey Buddy - you ain't alone.  The trailer under my ThunderJet is a single axle that weigh's in at over the 750 limit.  SO yes, I LIKE the new change to life time.  It will also work for my enclosed Snowdog trailer.  Life is getting better. ?
 Hey Bob, ours too is a single axle, just not sure of its weight though.  Is your snowdog trailer the 6x12 as well? If so, life might just may be getting better!

(04-05-2023, 03:48 PM)jjannie Wrote:
 Hey Bob, ours too is a single axle, just not sure of its weight though.  Is your snowdog trailer the 6x12 as well? If so, life might just may be getting better!
 Maybe not..... this shows the weight being well over the 750 limit. Oh well it was fun for few minutes to consider it, Sorry... 

Transport V-Nose (haulmark.com)
So does anyone find that all this whoha about plates for this, decals for that to be a royal pain in the DORSAL POSTERIOR !! Why does it all have to be so complicated? Flat rate for a car, flat rate for camper, flat rate for boat, flat rate for everything, Cut the crap and make it SIMPLE!! Guess that makes to much sense and it would put a bunch of people out of work !! Oh Well !!
You are right on the money .They need to simplify  the process. Make it as easy as they can we all pay taxes for these things .
(04-05-2023, 06:41 PM)Therapist Wrote: So does anyone find that all this whoha about plates for this, decals for that to be a royal pain in the DORSAL POSTERIOR !!  Why does it all have to be so complicated?  Flat rate for a car, flat rate for camper, flat rate for boat, flat rate for everything, Cut the crap and make it SIMPLE!!  Guess that makes to much sense and it would put a bunch of people out of work !!  Oh Well !!
Dude - it's all about the revenue!  ???
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Maybe not..... this shows the weight being well over the 750 limit. Oh well it was fun for few minutes to consider it, Sorry... 

Transport V-Nose (haulmark.com)

It is my understanding that the boat trailer itself needs to weigh 750 lbs or less, not the weight limit. My boat trailer is a single axle and weighs less than 750 lbs but my boat is around 1700 lbs. Have not had a plate on it for several years. I could be wrong but have never been ticketed?