Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The DWR saved a life today at Willard 4/6/23
(04-11-2023, 05:01 PM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote: Wow!!! Glad you are ok. Just goes to show ya that you never know what can happen. Glad all the DWR folks were there.

Thanks, it was something I was never concerned about until it happened to me, then it got real very quick. The DWR made a difference for sure.
(04-07-2023, 12:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I met Robert( liketrolling) at the North marina of Willard today. Robert had some new toys he wanted to check out, an underwater drone and a new transducer for his Livescope. We got his boat launched and Ira and I walked out the boat dock to get in his boat. That's when it happened, I took one step into Roberts boat and the next thing I know I'm in the water, head first. I was upside down trying to figure out which way was up, it seemed forever but I finally figured out which way was up and I came up, fighting for my life. In the cold water with all my heavy cloths on I struggled to make it to the boat dock and I remember Ira saying to work my way down the dock until I can touch the bottom but that only worked for about 20 ft before I froze up and could not move any more. The big guy upstairs must have been watching out for me because the DWR folks were launching just then and saw what had happened and jumped into action, three of them and Ira reached down and grabbed me and pulled me up onto the dock. I was totally drained and just laid there for a minute before they got me up and helped me to the end of the dock and shore where Ira had gone down a minute earlier to get my truck. I was soaking wet and one of the guys, Taylor, encouraged me to take off all my cloths and get into the cab to warm up. A big thanks goes out from me to those four that likely saved me life today, their names are Chante' Lundskog, Taylor Stewart, Matt McKell and of course my lifetime fishing partner Ira( wiperslayer). Once in the cab and warming up I called my wife and ask her to bring me a change of clothes. After a hour and a half or so and a change of clothes, I went out fishing, taking care and getting in the boat from the side, instead of the bow. We ended up with two cats and a new outlook about fishing at Willard in 40 degree waters. By the way, the water has now come up 6 ft since last Fall but water temps a still very cold for this time of the year. I'll add some pics of the ramp area in a few minutes after I upload them from my phone.

[Image: Boat-ramp-at-Willard.jpg]

[Image: boat-dock-at-Willard.jpg]

[Image: mountsins-above-Willard.jpg]

Wow Curt!!! Glad you are ok. Just goes to show you how fast things can go bad. Glad the DWR folks were there.
I'm glad you are OK.
(04-11-2023, 06:57 PM)percheye Wrote: I'm glad you are OK.

Thanks

Damn Curt , I'm glad your alright . That would scare the hell out of anybody .
(04-12-2023, 06:49 PM)AFDan52 Wrote:  
                             Damn Curt , I'm glad your alright . That would scare the hell out of anybody .

Thanks Dan, it was a scary time for sure.
(04-07-2023, 12:31 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I met Robert( liketrolling) at the North marina of Willard today. Robert had some new toys he wanted to check out, an underwater drone and a new transducer for his Livescope. We got his boat launched and Ira and I walked out the boat dock to get in his boat. That's when it happened, I took one step into Roberts boat and the next thing I know I'm in the water, head first. I was upside down trying to figure out which way was up, it seemed forever but I finally figured out which way was up and I came up, fighting for my life. In the cold water with all my heavy cloths on I struggled to make it to the boat dock and I remember Ira saying to work my way down the dock until I can touch the bottom but that only worked for about 20 ft before I froze up and could not move any more. The big guy upstairs must have been watching out for me because the DWR folks were launching just then and saw what had happened and jumped into action, three of them and Ira reached down and grabbed me and pulled me up onto the dock. I was totally drained and just laid there for a minute before they got me up and helped me to the end of the dock and shore where Ira had gone down a minute earlier to get my truck. I was soaking wet and one of the guys, Taylor, encouraged me to take off all my cloths and get into the cab to warm up. A big thanks goes out from me to those four that likely saved me life today, their names are Chante' Lundskog, Taylor Stewart, Matt McKell and of course my lifetime fishing partner Ira( wiperslayer). Once in the cab and warming up I called my wife and ask her to bring me a change of clothes. After a hour and a half or so and a change of clothes, I went out fishing, taking care and getting in the boat from the side, instead of the bow. We ended up with two cats and a new outlook about fishing at Willard in 40 degree waters. By the way, the water has now come up 6 ft since last Fall but water temps a still very cold for this time of the year. I'll add some pics of the ramp area in a few minutes after I upload them from my phone.

That is scary! Glad you are ok!!!!
(04-13-2023, 06:28 AM)muirco Wrote:
That is scary! Glad you are ok!!!!

Thanks, it was a tough way to start off the day,

OMG! Glad all ended well and your right the big guy was watching out for you. Thanks for the water report and looks like he helped you get a few fish to boot.
(04-13-2023, 05:07 PM)fishinfool Wrote:
OMG! Glad all ended well and your right the big guy was watching out for you. Thanks for the water report and looks like he helped you get a few fish to boot.

Thanks Tony, life is good.
Glad your ok Curt. Happy to hear there was a few guys there to help you out. We all need to just slow down and take an extra second when we are doing things like this. one little slip. Fortunatly you didnt smack your head and things could have been way different. Praise God!
(04-16-2023, 08:40 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: Glad your ok Curt. Happy to hear there was a few guys there to help you out. We all need to just slow down and take an extra second when we are doing things like this. one little slip. Fortunatly you didnt smack your head and things could have been way different. Praise God!

Thanks Mark, you are right, better to take our time than to end up in trouble, I won't be doing that again, slow and steady is the way to go. I have little doubt the Lord was looking after me on that day.

Man that scariest as heck! A few years back I pulled a guy out of Mantua that had overturned his Canoe. Same thing happened to him, the body just locked up and he was completely helpless. Glad you made it out OK!
(04-17-2023, 12:35 AM)WiperMac Wrote:

Man that scariest as heck! A few years back I pulled a guy out of Mantua that had overturned his Canoe. Same thing happened to him, the body just locked up and he was completely helpless. Glad you made it out OK!
Thanks Trevor, it has been a while since we have heard from you, glad you were able to get back on the site. I hope all is well with you.