Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The DWR saved a life today at Willard 4/6/23
(04-07-2023, 05:05 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote:
(04-07-2023, 01:19 AM)Fishin_Fool78 Wrote: Wow! Glad your ok! Impressed that you went back out fishing after that!!

I'm impressed that your wife brought you dry clothes! Mine would have made me come home and write "I will not fall in freezing cold water" on a blackboard 500 times...

Right after I got into the cab of my truck and called my wife, I was so shook up that my wife could hear it in my voice and wanted to come get me. Because I was so traumatised by the experience, she said in the 44 years we have been together she had never heard me talk like I did on that morning.
Dam, glad everything turned out ok. Don't take much to have things go bad, I filled up a pair of chest waders retrieving a duck in a deep river hole one afternoon.
(04-07-2023, 06:18 PM)Ahi1953 Wrote: Wow Curtis Scary for sure. Glad are ok  and was able get some fishing in. I think you owe the wife a night out.

Thanks John, good idea on taking the wife out.
(04-07-2023, 06:52 PM)oldguy Wrote: Thank God you are  OK curt!!! Chante is my bosses niece she is always helping people out with lots of stuff.

Thanks. If you see Chante tell her thanks for me, she seemed like a very helpful person and a good leader.
(04-07-2023, 08:46 PM)Gonefishing71 Wrote: Glad you were not alone and you are ok, I often fish alone and this will remind me to be extra cautious.

Thanks and me too about not being alone, you just can't be too careful when fishing alone.
(04-08-2023, 08:58 PM)jjannie Wrote: Remember my trip INto Willard just under 3 yrs ago - at least the water was warmer but still chilly and a shock. I did have my PFD vest on - it worked, Jeff rescued me and little Rosie. It ended our day that day. Luckily we'd already caught something so calling it a day wasn't too painful.... Rosie now dons her life vest too anytime on our boat along with Annie. 

Glad you're ok. Glad Roxy could bring some dry clothes and you still caught some fish too.  Whew, always an eye opener for sure...

Thanks Jil, it's never fun falling over board, no matter what time of the year it is, unless your going water skiing Wink
(04-08-2023, 11:31 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Dam, glad everything turned out ok. Don't take much to have things go bad, I filled up a pair of chest waders retrieving a duck in a deep river hole one afternoon.

Thanks Lyle, getting wet when It's cold never feels good but going under the water made it all the worse.
Glad you are ok! Crazy day!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the water.
(04-09-2023, 04:52 AM)Redrebel Wrote: Glad you are ok! Crazy day!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the water.
Thanks, it won't be long now until the catching improves.
Soooo! Are you going to start your own annual Willard Polar Plunge?   Big Grin
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-09-2023, 01:37 PM)Bduck Wrote: Soooo! Are you going to start your own annual Willard Polar Plunge?   Big Grin

LOL, I don't think so, unless the DWR wants to do something so anglers are aware of the cold water dangers. You never know, they do it at Bear lake in the middle of Winter but this would be totally different than that.
Wow Curt, glad you're okay... Sorry I missed seeing the report until now... but sure glad you had someone watching over you and sending help to save the day... Take care and glad it was just a scare and not a tragedy... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-10-2023, 02:20 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Wow Curt, glad you're okay... Sorry I missed seeing the report until now... but sure glad you had someone watching over you and sending help to save the day... Take care and glad it was just a scare and not a tragedy... Later Jeff

Thanks Jeff, no doubt the Lord was looking after me on that day, otherwise the outcome could have been much different.
Curt, glad you made it through. I recommend the floating life suits for anyone that boats in the cold weather! I remember fishing the Gorge down at Mustang Ridge after Clarke Sabey's brother went missing when launching his boat. We looked for him while fishing. It was kind of a weird feeling. After that, I retired my Carhartts and always wear my Striker float suit on the boat (when it is cold) or on the ice. They found him about two weeks later.
Our adventures can turn dark really fast- I'm glad you were being watched over that day!
All my best- Josh
Thanks Josh, I've heard of self inflating life jackets but what are the advantages to the Striker float suit?  Does the whole suit inflate or just the vest part? Would the bottom part keep you warm, even when wet?
There are a number of different brands out there; Striker is just the one I have. I know Clam makes a good one. Coat with overalls is what I have. They are really lightweight for the warmth they provide! They cut the wind and are water resistant (wo when kneeling down on the ice, they don't soak straight through). They are NOT self inflating suits- they are just supposed to help keep you afloat if you fall in the water! But they are warm and provide more freedom of movement than the Carhartt type coats and bibs!

I have to add- a buoyancy suit is no substitution for a PFD!
(04-10-2023, 05:46 PM)joshomaru Wrote: There are a number of different brands out there; Striker is just the one I have.  I know Clam makes a good one.  Coat with overalls is what I have.  They are really lightweight for the warmth they provide!  They cut the wind and are water resistant (wo when kneeling down on the ice, they don't soak straight through).  They are NOT self inflating suits- they are just supposed to help keep you afloat if you fall in the water!  But they are warm and provide more freedom of movement than the Carhartt type coats and bibs!

I have to add- a buoyancy suit is no substitution for a PFD!

OK, thanks.
WE lost a good friend some 30 years ago in an accident at Deer Creek. He tied up his rig to get the truck and when he came back it had pulled free and drifted off. He stripped down and swam to it and when he was climbing on board, he slipped, hit his chin on the cowling of the big motor and was knocked out. Did not have his jacket on, it was still in the boat when he tied it up. This was late at night, he was chasing walleye ( he and another friend set the state record on consecutive nights the week before ) by him self. I still wear my jacket when getting into and out of the boat now and try to have someone with me. That second part is getting harder and harder as I am retired and most of my fishing buddies still work. Glad this turned out positively for you Curt !! Hope you had a Happy Easter !!
(04-10-2023, 11:26 PM)Therapist Wrote: WE lost a good friend some 30 years ago in an accident at Deer Creek.  He tied up his rig to get the truck and when he came back it had pulled free and drifted off.  He stripped down and swam to it and when he was climbing on board,  he slipped,  hit his chin on the cowling of the big motor and was knocked out.  Did not have his jacket on,  it was still in the boat  when he tied it up.  This was late at night,  he was chasing walleye ( he and another friend set the state record on consecutive nights the week before ) by him self.  I still wear my jacket when getting into and out of the boat now and try to have someone with me.  That second part is getting harder and harder as I am retired and most of my fishing buddies still work.  Glad this turned out positively for you Curt !!  Hope you had a Happy Easter !!
Thanks, me too, I've heard too many stories like your friend, just can't be too careful, this scare will make me change my ways that's for sure, might not get a second chance.
Wow!!! Glad you are ok. Just goes to show ya that you never know what can happen. Glad all the DWR folks were there.