Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Tank Project
The month of March kept me busy with all of the weather nearly on a daily schedule doing snow removal. I was hoping for a 3-4 day break to start on my next truck project, but no love from nature. Had it planned for last week, still no love. Again, planning got shoved off to the sidelines, no cooperation with exception of warmer temps this next week. As I put in a previous post, I was going to do a sump modification to my diesel fuel tank. The idea behind this is to eliminate the 2 in tank screens which requires drilling a large hole in the tanks lowest point to install a sump kit rerouting fuel into a pre-pump filter to catch any crud that could damage a very expensive pump which I have already replaced once since age was the factor. Instead of the fuel being pumped from the top as is the normal position, it would be more of a gravity feed thru the bottom. The sump would protrude below externally mounted on bottom of tank. All it would take is a foreign object from any type of road debris hit this sump causing to leak. Also, the fuel supply line is routed from bottom at sump. These 2 items stayed on the burner simmering in my mind which I decided to go into a different direction. Some trucks have a 4x4 off road pkg protecting the tank which the sump idea is a successful way to go, my truck doesn't have a 4x4 off road pkg, which I don't have a need for anyways. However, a more popular way in which is eliminating the sump idea is using existing system of the fuel tank float system utilizing the fuel intake tube but still eliminating the 2 in tank screens. This leaves the fuel being extracted from current top of tank port. The mod in the tank I will be making when I remove the 2 screens, I will have to extend the supply line 4" down to the bottom of the tank with a union compression fitting using existing fuel intake end that has a metal mesh type screen which is a stock item on the current system preventing possible large floating items into line. The 4" extension added is approx. size of the 2 screens being removed. 

[Image: Fuel-Tank-sending-unit.jpg]
This image of the float is same as what 

is installed in my tank. 

[Image: Fuel-Intake.jpg]
This is the existing stock intake screen. The 

2 screens I'll be removing are inline above intake,
I have purchased a new intake not taking any 
chances with possible aging issue of current screen

[Image: Fuel-Filter-Mod.jpg]
New filter setup ready to install. I made an 

aluminum mounting bracket for filter mount 
and predrilled a hole into frame between 
tank & pump. Filter is a 10micron which will 
be accessible for replacement. Have new 
fuel line with new quick disconnects to install
on existing points located at pump and tank
float assy  

Now, if the weather would just play right for a couple of days. I can have it done in one day but there is always a chance something could get derailed temporary.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Here is a video of the mod I'm doing with my fuel tank.

Ford 7.3 Powerstroke fuel tank mods. Harpoon and Hutch - YouTube
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
UPDATE

[Image: P4260041.jpg]
Finally got a good day, so I took
the plunge removing fuel tank

[Image: P4260042.jpg]
Removal of sending unit

[Image: P4260043.jpg]
Upon removal found intake screen
broken away but was held in place with
sender holding against tank bottom

[Image: P4260044.jpg]

[Image: P4260045.jpg]
Remove housing cover for inline

screens. Right side completely clogged,
left was about 80%+ clogged

[Image: P4260046.jpg]

[Image: P4260047.jpg]

[Image: P4260048.jpg]
This is what they should look like
after cleaning

[Image: P4260049.jpg]
Then I started on the modification

[Image: P4260050.jpg]
The intake pipe added is 4" with new 
intake screen at the bottom. The "Z"
pipe is added to extend beyond 
float, this is fuel return from engine
after heated
Harrisville UT
Wow, that is quit the project Roger, how long did it take you to get the tank out? I'm guessing you drained the tank before removing it, other wise it would be way too heavy, depending on how full it was.
Curt, removal wasn’t difficult. I drove around until I got to 1/4 tank but still drained 5gal leaving some still in the tank. Weight wasn’t an issue at all. 
Harrisville UT
Hope that all works out for you buddy. Your a pretty talented mechanic!
Mark, all is good. Did a good run today without issues. Its fishing ready  Big Grin
Harrisville UT