Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This and That Observations
Drove past Mantua on Wednesday and there was still ice on 3/4 of the lake, the SE quad was open and the rest of the ice looked really grey, I don't expect it to last much longer, might be gone by Saturday...

Noticed two folks fishing on floaties on Hyrum yesterday one was a tube or toon the other a boat...  If you're one of those two how did it go?  Hoping for a report even if it was poor fishing... Just want to know how it went...  That DamCam really can drive a guy nuts while he's stuck working and can see folks fishing and having fun...  

Wednesday Willard was looking pretty slow for numbers fishing, but I expect with nice warm temps I'll bet that has changed.... Looking for some good reports out of there this weekend...  I'm on the bubble as to whether I'll be farming or fishing... I know what I'd rather do, but if I can farm I've got to get er done... still a little wet yet, but getting closer...

Got the Terrova mounted on the boat, just need to make sure my wiring is right before I hook anything up... My boat has a four wire power cables from back battery bay to the bow plug in, but my motor is a two wire power leads... Anyone know why the boat would have 4 heavy gage wires?  Before I cut anything to hook it up, just curious what that is all about?  Thanks and Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff I fished Willard Thursday. Still a little slow on the crabkbait bite but did get a couple wipers and 1 walleye  we fished mostly deepdivers .  Water temp was 49 at 7am but when we left it got to around 53.found most active fish in  the so west corner. Hope this helps. Bill
Thanks for the report Bill. I'm still trying to figure that pond out. Could you be more specific about the lures you used? Or lures in general that work there?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(04-28-2023, 01:11 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Got the Terrova mounted on the boat, just need to make sure my wiring is right before I hook anything up... My boat has a four wire power cables from back battery bay to the bow plug in, but my motor is a two wire power leads... Anyone know why the boat would have 4 heavy gage wires?  Before I cut anything to hook it up, just curious what that is all about?  Thanks and Later Jeff

Is it possible that it was once wired for 12/24 volt front troller?  My switch up front to select 12 or 24 Volts has four wires. Also requires two batteries that it may once have had.
(04-28-2023, 02:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the report Bill. I'm still trying to figure that pond out. Could you be more specific about the lures you used? Or lures in general that work there?

So as not to hijack this thread, I will post some info on Willard in a new post.  Hope it helps.
(04-28-2023, 02:20 PM)oldguy Wrote: Jeff I fished Willard Thursday. Still a little slow on the crabkbait bite but did get a couple wipers and 1 walleye  we fished mostly deepdivers .  Water temp was 49 at 7am but when we left it got to around 53.found most active fish in  the so west corner. Hope this helps. Bill

Thanks Bill, sounds like you found some fun anyway... Hope they were good sized fish for you... Man I wish I could come over and join you on the pond this weekend, but pretty sure I can't... May have to take a day off work and not tell my wife and take the boat instead.... Terrible when you have too many things that need to be done when the fishing is picking up... Wife keeps my priorities straight for the family rather than the fishing... Oh well... later Jeff

(04-28-2023, 02:59 PM)Fowl-Hook Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 01:11 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Got the Terrova mounted on the boat, just need to make sure my wiring is right before I hook anything up... My boat has a four wire power cables from back battery bay to the bow plug in, but my motor is a two wire power leads... Anyone know why the boat would have 4 heavy gage wires?  Before I cut anything to hook it up, just curious what that is all about?  Thanks and Later Jeff

Is it possible that it was one wired for 12/24 volt front troller?  My switch up front to select 12 or 24 Volts has four wires. Also requires two batteries that it may once have had.

There is a good chance it could have been wired that way... I think the boat is a 1999 so it was probably wired for that era of motors.  I don't have a switch to go between 12 or 24 volt though. I'm going to look over the wires today and make sure they didn't do something between the battery bay and the front.  Hopefully that will help me figure out how to hook things up.  The boat was originally designed with only two batteries, I assume the motor starting battery and one for the trolling motor, so I'm going to have to add another battery... I'd kind of like to put it up front so the wires aren't so long to get to the motor and also to even out the weight... But that makes wiring the batteries a little more difficult if one is in back and one up front... Maybe that is where the four wires comes in handy...  Thanks for your tips, I think you're pointing in the right direction... Jeff
(04-28-2023, 03:23 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(04-28-2023, 02:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the report Bill. I'm still trying to figure that pond out. Could you be more specific about the lures you used? Or lures in general that work there?

So as not to hijack this thread, I will post some info on Willard in a new post.  Hope it helps.
Yep we caught them on mystic deep dives going 2.3
Skunkedagain! Is your Terrova a 12V or a 24V motor?? NOt sure I know what type of boat you have though. You should be able to find a wiring diagram for your boat on the internet. The manual for your Terrova should also have a diagram to show how to set it up !!
Jeff, it's possible that the second set of wires went to a backup battery, so if one went dead they could just switch over to the second battery. You should be able to figure it out just by finding where the two sets of wires run to. You said at least one set runs to the back, if you have both sets back in the back, maybe one was hooked to the main starting battery and the second was hooked to the trolling motor battery. If you don't find both sets of wires back there, try looking for a hole in the center area of the boat, maybe under the left of right console or even right in the center, where it steps up to the bow area of the boat. They could have taken the battery out and pushed the wires back down into the hole where the wires were run up from.
I have a 1996 Bayliner it sounds like mine was wired the same as yours. I put a 24 volt Minn Kota power drive on my boat. They recommend 6 gage wire going from the batteries to the motor. The 2 wires put together as one was bigger than the 6 gage wire so I figured I'd be ok. WRONG!! I melted the wires inside the motor and fried the circuit board. Minn Kota said to rewire it with 6 gage wire and I haven't had a problem since.
Boats on Mantua yesterday, Hyrum is really stained with the run off coming in, pig has open water along the dam. Quite the crowd at Willard in the north marina when I went by. Saw a pic of Newton and it looked to be way up.
The pig is over 1/2 open. Could be gone directly. The road around though was another story.
(04-30-2023, 03:54 PM)packfish Wrote: The pig is over 1/2 open. Could be gone directly. The road around though was another story.

Just drove up an it’s all open, 1 boat and float tube out on it
Yes i just got back. water coming out is clear and then the side creek below starts pumping mud.
(04-30-2023, 08:57 PM)2knots Wrote:
(04-30-2023, 03:54 PM)packfish Wrote: The pig is over 1/2 open. Could be gone directly. The road around though was another story.

Just drove up an it’s all open, 1 boat and float tube out on it

Wow, that was quick, did it look like they were able to get back to the first launch to get that boat in the water?
Yes it was, the pic I saw on Thursday showed a lot of ice left but from what Packfish saw and then my drive up today I was somewhat surprised, Mantua went real quick also. I didn’t drive back past the top of the dam so I don’t know where they launched but they were pretty close to the 1st cove launch when I saw them so they could of just launched or were headed in

Did you try driving to the back?
(04-28-2023, 11:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Jeff, it's possible that the second set of wires went to a backup battery, so if one went dead they could just switch over to the second battery. You should be able to figure it out just by finding where the two sets of wires run to. You said at least one set runs to the back, if you have both sets back in the back, maybe one was hooked to the main starting battery and the second was hooked to the trolling motor battery. If you don't find both sets of wires back there, try looking for a hole in the center area of the boat, maybe under the left of right console or even right in the center, where it steps up to the bow area of the boat. They could have taken the battery out and pushed the wires back down into the hole where the wires were run up from.

I agree, a back up battery makes sense.  My boat is a 2001 so a little newer and the wire that was run from the back to the front was way too small.  It did not fry wires but sure lost a lot of battery power.  I rewired my boat to have a starting battery in the back and two batteries at the passenger center console to run the 24 volt trolling motor. 

The wire was stiff, but I got some multistrand 2 gage for the trolling motor, 6 gage for the starting motor, ran wires from my new on board charger to the three batteries.  So, 6 wires from the charger, two to the starting motor, two to to each trolling battery (which are hooked up in series for the trolling motor).  Charger hooked in parallel.  

As you can see, there can be lots of wires, depending on what the boat was wired for originally.  Perhaps the best way is to get a multimeter, set on OHMS, with long long leads.  Disconnect the battery(s) and trace the wires down.  Diagram the wires and then plan on a "New Plan".  If you can utilize the existing wires, great, if not, best to get new wires and work from there.

I am a bit toooooo old to climb around a boat and pull wire (found that out recently) but PM me with the wiring diagram and perhaps, just perhaps, I can help.
(04-28-2023, 11:04 PM)Therapist Wrote: Skunkedagain!  Is your Terrova a 12V or a 24V motor??  NOt sure I know what type of boat you have though.  You should be able to find a wiring diagram for your boat on the internet.  The manual for your Terrova should also have a diagram to show how to set it up !!

My motor is a 24 Volt and my boat is an older Tracker Targa... I opened everything up and it appears there are four separate wires that go from back to front. I decided to use one pair to supply my 24 volts to the motor.  It seemed to work pretty well, except I need a new battery for the big motor so I can use my deep cycle pair for the electric. That motor really pulls the boat nice, but I'm going to have to learn how to drive it in manual mode... I about took out the docks while I was trying to learn how it works... Glad i wasn't at too busy of a ramp... Thanks for the interest... Jeff

(04-28-2023, 11:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Jeff, it's possible that the second set of wires went to a backup battery, so if one went dead they could just switch over to the second battery. You should be able to figure it out just by finding where the two sets of wires run to. You said at least one set runs to the back, if you have both sets back in the back, maybe one was hooked to the main starting battery and the second was hooked to the trolling motor battery. If you don't find both sets of wires back there, try looking for a hole in the center area of the boat, maybe under the left of right console or even right in the center, where it steps up to the bow area of the boat. They could have taken the battery out and pushed the wires back down into the hole where the wires were run up from.

Hey Curt, I think I explained this in my last reply, but I do have two sets of wires and I did some modifications to them.  I cut the red and black wire off the connector and wired them into my new quick disconnect plug... It seemed to work for me... Thanks for the tips.. Jeff

(04-29-2023, 01:11 AM)Tackle Junkie Wrote: I have a 1996 Bayliner it sounds like mine was wired the same as yours. I put a 24 volt Minn Kota power drive on my boat. They recommend 6 gage wire going from the batteries to the motor. The 2 wires put together as one was bigger than the 6 gage wire so I figured I'd be ok. WRONG!! I melted the wires inside the motor and fried the circuit board. Minn Kota said to rewire it with 6 gage wire and I haven't had a problem since.

Wow so now you're making me nervous, I'm not sure what gauge my wire is, it's pretty heavy duty, but I better check and see what it is.  I think the chart said to use 8 gauge on my motor for lengths less than 20' and my boat is 18' with not much added to reach the battery, I figured 8 gauge would be okay...  The QD connection was just verily big enough to allow the wires to fit in the socket, so I probably can't use bigger wire without getting a different connector and this was rated for 24 volt 60 Amps so I think it's a right one.  But you bring up a really important issue I better check into before I fry something... Thanks for the heads up... Jeff

(04-30-2023, 01:15 PM)2knots Wrote: Boats on Mantua yesterday, Hyrum is really stained with the run off coming in, pig has open water along the dam. Quite the crowd at Willard in the north marina when I went by. Saw a pic of Newton and it looked to be way up.

I heard some good stories about Mantua over the weekend... Almost makes me want to take my toon for a float... Thanks for the update Alan, hope your trip today to Willard will be a good one... Later Jeff

(05-01-2023, 01:04 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote:

I agree, a back up battery makes sense.  My boat is a 2001 so a little newer and the wire that was run from the back to the front was way too small.  It did not fry wires but sure lost a lot of battery power.  I rewired my boat to have a starting battery in the back and two batteries at the passenger center console to run the 24 volt trolling motor. 

The wire was stiff, but I got some multistrand 2 gage for the trolling motor, 6 gage for the starting motor, ran wires from my new on board charger to the three batteries.  So, 6 wires from the charger, two to the starting motor, two to to each trolling battery (which are hooked up in series for the trolling motor).  Charger hooked in parallel.  

As you can see, there can be lots of wires, depending on what the boat was wired for originally.  Perhaps the best way is to get a multimeter, set on OHMS, with long long leads.  Disconnect the battery(s) and trace the wires down.  Diagram the wires and then plan on a "New Plan".  If you can utilize the existing wires, great, if not, best to get new wires and work from there.

I am a bit toooooo old to climb around a boat and pull wire (found that out recently) but PM me with the wiring diagram and perhaps, just perhaps, I can help.
I"m actually in pretty good shape with the wiring on these batteries as far as lack of complication, it's four wires from front to back and nothing in between.  Now I just need to make sure I have adequate sized wires so I don't burn my boat down... Once I decide how I'm going to do this I'll have to get an on board charger set up.  I'll have 3 batteries, does anyone have a good charger recommendation, and can this same charger be used for LiFePO batteries?  I think when this set of batteries bites the dust, I'm going to try saving up and changing over to Lithium... I love them for all my ice gear, so I think that's the direction I want to go, but they sure are expensive, but sounds like they will pay that back over a longer lifetime... Man I sure wish I had lots of money, I'd sure be good at spending it... Later Jeff
Noco gen pro has been good for me. So far, other than bulk, no complaints about it. Works on my lithiums, and has a recover mode too. Helped squeeze a for more months out of some tired lead acid rv batteries.

[Image: 20230501-074623.jpg]