Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Deer Creek
New member, first time posting.  Fished Deer Creek today.  What a great day to get out and be on the water.  Arrived about 6:00 am and had a 2 1/2 lb rainbow in the boat by 6:15 am.  Had about 20 hits between 6:00 am and 12:00 pm.  Between two of us, we landed six rainbow, all between 2.5 and 3 lbs.  We start the day with squids and shifted to minnows after it warmed up.  Most fish were caught on downrigger at about 10 feet.  There were a couple caught with pop gear.  The water temp was 50 degrees when we started and 53 degrees when we left.  There were about 30 boats total on the water while we were there.
Welcome to the site, great post. It's amazing how good the fishing is at DC right now. How fast were you trolling?
(05-04-2023, 03:51 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Welcome to the site, great post. It's amazing how good the fishing is at DC right now. How fast were you trolling?

Started the morning at 1.2 - 1.4 mph.  As it warmed up, increased to 1.5 - 1.7 mph.

One thing I forgot to mention is the amount of debris in the water. The south end wasn't bad, but it got worse as I trolled north of Rainbow Bay.
thanks for sharing! I've had similar experiences recently up there. when you switched to minnows, were you trolling with them? did they stay on the hook?
Good to see someone still drags pop gear. I have all of my Dads but don't use them as much as I would like.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-04-2023, 05:38 PM)chubby chaser Wrote: thanks for sharing! I've had similar experiences recently up there.  when you switched to minnows, were you trolling with them? did they stay on the hook?

Chubby Chaser, we were trolling with the minnows and we were able to land them.