Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Bust
Wanted to try a trip up to Bear River Bird Refuge.  Beautiful morning, nice weather forecast. 

Past the Refuge Wildlife Center, first bridge over the irrigation channel... water higher than I've ever seen it. All along next stretch of road water up to the edge of road and all the flood planes out from the main river are full. 

First high water warning area is flooded all the way across the road. I'm guessing at about a foot deep.  I watched a truck cross that flooded area, water up to the bottom of it's lower door frames, and it had a higher ground clearance than my truck.  I sat there for several minutes then decided it was smarter for me to turn around than attempt to drive thru.  The risk just wasn't worth the possible / probable skunk of catching nothing.  

Will go back up to Willard tomorrow. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Been watching all the flood stuff on line from down in Corinne area, this is definitely different than last year... Hope it's a good thing... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Probably a wise choice. I crossed a flooded channel in Vegas years ago during a flash flood. I was young and dumb and had to get back to the office. I knew the road well and how deep it was there and I was driving a Ford Superduty diesel truck. So even though there were several cars stopped there waiting, I went around them and plowed right in to the river. I made it but in my rearview mirror I saw one of the guys who was waiting there and saw me cross who decided to follow. He was in a Toyota truck smaller and lighter than my Ford and I watched him literally get washed down the river sideways floating in the current.  Since then I have learned a little and now I would have made the same decision you came too and turned around.
Depth is one thing, but any amount of cross-current, and forget it. It only takes few inches of water flowing 10 mph to push most cars off the road. Add unsee-able hoies or obstructions and debris, and I'm out, too.
I've been getting through that flooded part of the road ok Forest. but with this warm up I suspect they'll be closing the refuge down soon.
Fishing down there has been hit and miss . getting a few 27-29 inchers.
[Image: IMG-0657.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0658.jpg]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
(05-17-2023, 12:53 PM)Ahi1953 Wrote: I've been getting through that flooded part of the road ok Forest. but with this warm up I suspect they'll be closing the refuge down soon.
Fishing down there has been hit and miss . getting a few 27-29 inchers.
[Image: IMG-0657.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0658.jpg]

Those Cats look like they have been eating quite well over the winter.  
You be careful out there John.  I think I'll just stay fishing at Willard till that water level drops down off the road again.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool