Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Strawberry Jello Chicken
Okay, I tried this out and now I'm a believer.  I fished Utah Lake last night and started out with two santee cooper rigs with 6/0 circle hook in the water, one with cut white bass and the other with strawberry jello chicken. I caught a catfish within minutes on the strawberry jello chicken. Nothing on the white bass. Eventually switched both over to strawberry jello chicken and ended up catching 12 channel cats and 1 mud cat, all from shore at Lincoln Beach, and all on strawberry jello chicken. I'm a believer.

Recipe is basically just chicken breast (I used one that got lost in our freezer for a few months) and strawberry jello. Cut in pieces (roughly size of your thumb), add with jello in a ziploc baggie, massage to make sure all pieces are in contact with jello. I let mine marinate overnight.

Anybody else tried it?

jack of all tackle, master of none
(05-18-2023, 02:09 AM)joatmon Wrote: Okay, I tried this out and now I'm a believer.  I fished Utah Lake last night and started out with two santee cooper rigs with 6/0 circle hook in the water, one with cut white bass and the other with strawberry jello chicken. I caught a catfish within minutes on the strawberry jello chicken. Nothing on the white bass. Eventually switched both over to strawberry jello chicken and ended up catching 12 channel cats and 1 mud cat, all from shore at Lincoln Beach, and all on strawberry jello chicken. I'm a believer.

Recipe is basically just chicken breast (I used one that got lost in our freezer for a few months) and strawberry jello. Cut in pieces (roughly size of your thumb), add with jello in a ziploc baggie, massage to make sure all pieces are in contact with jello. I let mine marinate overnight.

Anybody else tried it?
How was the size on the cats? I’ve always gone with cut bait as I feel it gives me the best chance at a big fish. I will try the strawberry jello chicken sometime this year just to see what I find. Sounds like a fun experiment.
Yes it really does work. I've had good success this spring using it out at Willard , wear rubber gloves though ,man that stuff is sticky .
Never tried the "good parts" of a chicken for catfish, but living back in PA chicken LIVER was our #1 bait for channel cats by far (striped bass too). Purdue was the best (stayed on hook the best).
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Do you let it set out and get stinky or just use it fresh?
(05-18-2023, 02:19 AM)TrickyFish Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 02:09 AM)joatmon Wrote: Okay, I tried this out and now I'm a believer.  I fished Utah Lake last night and started out with two santee cooper rigs with 6/0 circle hook in the water, one with cut white bass and the other with strawberry jello chicken. I caught a catfish within minutes on the strawberry jello chicken. Nothing on the white bass. Eventually switched both over to strawberry jello chicken and ended up catching 12 channel cats and 1 mud cat, all from shore at Lincoln Beach, and all on strawberry jello chicken. I'm a believer.

Anybody else tried it?
How was the size on the cats? I’ve always gone with cut bait as I feel it gives me the best chance at a big fish. I will try the strawberry jello chicken sometime this year just to see what I find. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Not sure on size.  I caught two at 27.5 inches and 28" is usually the longest I catch from shore at UL. Not enough data yet.  I will try it while trolling on Saturday for the flotilla

(05-18-2023, 07:15 PM)Catfishhunter19 Wrote: Do you let it set out and get stinky or just use it fresh?

Fresh, not stinky. That being said, I had a full batch that I froze a few weeks ago, and that was what I used. Just frozen, not "ripened" or "fermented". I just made a batch for trolling on Saturday (at the flotilla) and have it in the fridge. Hoping for good penetration of the flavor by then, like a smoke ring.

Basically just figuring it out as I go!

jack of all tackle, master of none
We use to use strawberry jello chicken and also let it marinate in garlic salt, anymore though I just prefer carp or whitebass meat, hotdogs and velveta cheese also work good!
I've use jello chicken for 4 years as my primary bait with great success. We've caught up to 29" with limited fishing. We also use CBMIGP as they call call it back east, chicken breast marinated in garlic powder. I find I have bester success with jello chicken though. I bring towels and wash my hands after baiting up because as somebody said it's sticky but salmonella poisoning from raw chicken is possible. So be careful. Oh do not add water, the jello pulls moisture from the chicken and before you know it your bag a will be 1/3 full of liquid.