Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good day at Strawberry 5/31
Arrived Soldier Creek 7:00 and left 4 hours later.  Beautiful weather, but a cool 34F when we arrived.  Eight small kokes all about 12” and several cuts, maybe 5 or 6.  Overall, water was only slightly discolored, but there were a few weed/debris lines that needed to be avoided.  Started with 2 rods w/ squids and 2 w/ small Kokanee spinners.  All hits on squids so changed spinners to squids.  Nearly all caught on combinations of pink/white.  Solid colors did not work.  Made up some new Arrow Flashers to experiment with.  I think they made a difference b/c others I talked to had a slow day using sling blades.  Heading to FG next week and will do some more experimenting with flashers.  Will advise more on
[Image: IMG-0215.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0216.jpg]
Thanks for the report I was wondering how fishing was up there
Great report, too bad the kokes are so small this year, sure hope it isn't a sign of what to expect this year but maybe it's just the SC side. I like that setup you have on your boat, with those in the boat type rod holder. I've been using that style of dodger for kokes for many years, with good results, 
Good luck at the Gorge, sure not hearing of many good reports from there this year.
(06-01-2023, 01:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, too bad the kokes are so small this year, sure hope it isn't a sign of what to expect this year but maybe it's just the SC side. I like that setup you have on your boat, with those in the boat type rod holder. I've been using that style of dodger for kokes for many years, with good results, 
Good luck at the Gorge, sure not hearing of many good reports from there this year.

I've noticed that Soldier Creek tends to hold a lot more 1.5 year old Kokes. I catch more of the 2.5 year olds on the Strawberry side as the water warms. I do not have a competent explanation for why this is.

But there are still some VERY nice 2.5 year old fish on the Soldier Creek side. I caught two 20" on Monday, and a guest of mine lost the biggest early season Koke I've ever seen right at the net (my record early season Koke is 23" from Memorial Day 2021).  Agree though - it's concerning for next year seeing all of these young Kokes being hauled out.
(06-01-2023, 04:41 PM)BYUHunter Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 01:43 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report, too bad the kokes are so small this year, sure hope it isn't a sign of what to expect this year but maybe it's just the SC side. I like that setup you have on your boat, with those in the boat type rod holder. I've been using that style of dodger for kokes for many years, with good results, 

I've noticed that Soldier Creek tends to hold a lot more 1.5 year old Kokes. I catch more of the 2.5 year olds on the Strawberry side as the water warms. I do not have a competent explanation for why this is.

But there are still some VERY nice 2.5 year old fish on the Soldier Creek side. I caught two 20" on Monday, and a guest of mine lost the biggest early season Koke I've ever seen right at the net (my record early season Koke is 23" from Memorial Day 2021).  Agree though - it's concerning for next year seeing all of these young Kokes being hauled out.
That is what I was thinking, they were younger fish. Wow, a 23" koke this early in the year, that would be amazing to catch, too bad your buddy did not get that bigger one into the boat, to see how big it really was.
(06-01-2023, 04:41 PM)BYUHunter Wrote:

I did have a couple of large kokes on, but lost them because the divers didn’t trip.  I forgot to change the tightness which was set last year for kings and silvers offshore.  Loosened them up and no more lost fish.  About the flashers…I haven’t seen these before.  They are 4 1/2” and heavy.  Where did you get yours.
I started the day on the Strawberry side but after 2.5 hours of cutts only, I decided to make the run to Soldier Creek where I have been finding some kokanee. Ended with 3 all decent fish about 17". Had one more to the boat, but I was solo and messed up the netting job (pole in one hand, net in the other) - missed him 3 times before he came off.
(06-01-2023, 11:11 PM)trueblue2 Wrote:  About the flashers…I haven’t seen these before.  They are 4 1/2” and heavy.  Where did you get yours.

They might not be exactly the same but they are Brad's killer wobbler, here is a pic of the one I like, they are only 3 1/2"

[Image: Brads-killer.webp]

I just take off the hook and put a snap swivel on.
Will your flasher come in different colors or will any be the hammer type?
Any idea of the surface temp on the soldier creek side?
Water temp on Friday was 49*. I know that was a couple days ago.
(06-05-2023, 02:44 AM)brookie Wrote: Water temp on Friday was 49*. I know that was a couple days ago.

Thanks
(06-03-2023, 01:13 PM)Kwiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 11:11 PM)trueblue2 Wrote:  About the flashers…I haven’t seen these before.  They are 4 1/2” and heavy.  Where did you get yours.

They might not be exactly the same but they are Brad's killer wobbler, here is a pic of the one I like, they are only 3 1/2"

[Image: Brads-killer.webp]

I just take off the hook and put a snap swivel on.
Will your flasher come in different colors or will any be the hammer type?
My blank is 4 1/2” and heavy.  It’s similar, but not the same as Poulsen Arrow Flash.  No hammered finish.  Send me a pm with address and I’ll send you a sample to experiment with.  Looking for a good source of blanks.  Haven’t found one yet.
(06-08-2023, 11:02 AM)trueblue2 Wrote: My blank is 4 1/2” and heavy.  It’s similar, but not the same as Poulsen Arrow Flash.  No hammered finish.  Send me a pm with address and I’ll send you a sample to experiment with.  Looking for a good source of blanks.  Haven’t found one yet.

Thanks, PM sent.