Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport
Hey BFT,  
    I appreciate all the reports you guys have on here, so I thought I'd add one of my own.  My 15-year-old son and I took a viewer and his daughters up to Rockport Sunday.  His 16-year-old daughter is in a wheelchair and hasn't been fishing for years.  I told him it was damn time we got her out.  They didn't want to deal with cold temperatures, she has a hard time regulating her body temp, so the Berry was out, Rockport was our best bet.  Launched at 6:00 am and while we were getting our first rod ready for the downriggers we got a bite.  It was our first rainbow of the day about a 16-inch fish.  It was pretty steady for 14–16-inch rainbows from 6-10 a.m.  We were hoping to pick up a few kokanee and we did latch into three, only boated one.  It was fairly small, about 10 inches and not hooked deep, so we returned it.  We caught somewhere near 20 rainbows before we left around noon.  One was a hefty 4-pound brute that the kids wanted to take home, so it and another was invited for dinner.  A couple of observations.  Most of the fish on the graph and the ones we caught were shallow, 15-20 feet deep.  Lots of fish marked, but due to the water clarity you had to put it right in front of their face.  There is a lot of debris in the water, from floating tree trunks to a plastic culvert that was floating near the dam.  I had planned to use planner boards but with that much stuff floating in the water, it wasn't possible.    Water temperature was 55 early 58 when we left.  There were only about 10-12 boats on the water, only one wake boat and plenty of shore fisherman and the fish cleaning station was up and running.  Good fishing guys.  We are off to Lake Powell for our yearly June trip.  Hopefully plenty of laughs and maybe a few fish as well.  Cheers!  

Adam
Thanks for the report. How full is RP? The ramp was high and dry a few weeks ago but hopefully it's close to full now?
I think I read that it is 70% full. Lots of water coming in!
Thanks for the report Adam, good to see you haven't forgot about us, lol. With all the water coming in it's not surprising there is so much debris in the water but good to hear you guys did well and got that gal on some fish. Wow, a 4 lb bow, that must have put up a good fight. I was surprised last year when you told me about the kokes you caught there, after my disappointing trip there, so it's good to hear there are still a few left in there. Were the kokes at the same depth as the bows?
That's a great report. Very nice fish. Thanks for sharing.
(06-05-2023, 07:17 PM)fstop2 Wrote: Hey BFT,  
    I appreciate all the reports you guys have on here, so I thought I'd add one of my own.  My 15-year-old son and I took a viewer and his daughters up to Rockport Sunday.  His 16-year-old daughter is in a wheelchair and hasn't been fishing for years.  I told him it was damn time we got her out.  They didn't want to deal with cold temperatures, she has a hard time regulating her body temp, so the Berry was out, Rockport was our best bet.  Launched at 6:00 am and while we were getting our first rod ready for the downriggers we got a bite.  It was our first rainbow of the day about a 16-inch fish.  It was pretty steady for 14–16-inch rainbows from 6-10 a.m.  We were hoping to pick up a few kokanee and we did latch into three, only boated one.  It was fairly small, about 10 inches and not hooked deep, so we returned it.  We caught somewhere near 20 rainbows before we left around noon.  One was a hefty 4-pound brute that the kids wanted to take home, so it and another was invited for dinner.  A couple of observations.  Most of the fish on the graph and the ones we caught were shallow, 15-20 feet deep.  Lots of fish marked, but due to the water clarity you had to put it right in front of their face.  There is a lot of debris in the water, from floating tree trunks to a plastic culvert that was floating near the dam.  I had planned to use planner boards but with that much stuff floating in the water, it wasn't possible.    Water temperature was 55 early 58 when we left.  There were only about 10-12 boats on the water, only one wake boat and plenty of shore fisherman and the fish cleaning station was up and running.  Good fishing guys.  We are off to Lake Powell for our yearly June trip.  Hopefully plenty of laughs and maybe a few fish as well.  Cheers!  

Adam
Does the 16 year old girl in a wheelchair hunt big game?
Does she want to hunt big game?
Willing to get her Hunters Safety card?
I run a Disabled Hunters group, if she is interested and has not killed a Deer before I will cover all costs except butchering and take her and her Dad out for her first Deer.
Thanks, Shane
(06-05-2023, 07:17 PM)fstop2 Wrote: Hey BFT,  

Adam
That's a great report, glade to have you aboard. How were you catching the kokanees?