Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good day at Willard 6/7/23
Ira and I got out there yesterday around 6:30 am. We headed over to the West dike and started marking a lot a fish around the light pole but trolling did not produce any fish but we did mark a water depth of 27 ft in one spot. Finally after trolling for over a mile we caught two but then nothing, so we headed back North. We were just getting ready to pull up our gear when we got a double. We ended up staying in that area for the rest of the day, this was the fish we kept.

[Image: june7th-catch.jpg]

After the filleting was done and we were leaving, I remembered two more in the live well, another perch and eye. This year I started bleeding my fish, then putting them on ice, all the fish in my cooler were the ones I filleted but forgot those last two because they were cut just before we went in, so I never put them on ice but they seemed fine. Met a member by the name of Farm Boat at the fillet station and he was nice enough to help me fillet some of those fish, nice meeting you and your wife and thanks for the help.
We trolled at 2.5 to 2.7 mph using a wide variety of chartreuse lures. They seemed to be fairly shallow early then later they were caught deeper. We caught them using lead core line fishing near the bottom and on side planners and likely lost at least 4 more that came off just as they hit the surface. We were using #7 flicker shad with 175 ft setbacks on the side planners fishing in 21 to 22 fow. Most of the eyes were smaller around 15" but we did get three that were bigger including one that was over 21". In addition we also caught a couple of wipers and a cat. Ira caught a nice wiper that was 23.5", he posted a pic of it on the contest board. The water temp got up to 72 before we left yesterday around 2 pm
(06-08-2023, 08:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got out there yesterday around 6:30 am. We headed over to the West dike and started marking a lot a fish around the light pole but trolling did not produce any fish but we did mark a water depth of 27 ft in one spot. Finally after trolling for over a mile we caught two but then nothing, so we headed back North. We were just getting ready to pull up our gear when we got a double. We ended up staying in that area for the rest of the day, this was the fish we kept.

[Image: june7th-catch.jpg]

After the filleting was done and we were leaving, I remembered two more in the live well, another perch and eye. This year I started bleeding my fish, then putting them on ice, all the fish in my cooler were the ones I filleted but forgot those last two because they were cut just before we went in, so I never put them on ice but they seemed fine. Met a member by the name of Farm Boat at the fillet station and he was nice enough to help me fillet some of those fish, nice meeting you and your wife and thanks for the help.
We trolled at 2.5 to 2.7 mph using a wide variety of chartreuse lures. They seemed to be fairly shallow early then later they were caught deeper. We caught them using lead core line fishing near the bottom and on side planners and likely lost at least 4 more that came off just as they hit the surface. We were using #7 flicker shad with 175 ft setbacks on the side planners fishing in 21 to 22 fow. Most of the eyes were smaller around 15" but we did get three that were bigger including one that was over 21". In addition we also caught a couple of wipers and a cat. Ira caught a nice wiper that was 23.5", he posted a pic of it on the contest board. The water temp got up to 72 before we left yesterday around 2 pm

Good work guys, Randy and I will be out there tomorrow giving it a go and then I'm making my first trip of the season to the Berry with my wife and daughter on Saturday.
(06-08-2023, 09:01 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(06-08-2023, 08:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got out there yesterday around 6:30 am. We headed over to the West dike and started marking a lot a fish around the light pole but trolling did not produce any fish but we did mark a water depth of 27 ft in one spot. Finally after trolling for over a mile we caught two but then nothing, so we headed back North. We were just getting ready to pull up our gear when we got a double. We ended up staying in that area for the rest of the day, this was the fish we kept

Good work guys, Randy and I will be out there tomorrow giving it a go and then I'm making my first trip of the season to the Berry with my wife and daughter on Saturday.
Thanks Shawn, hope you and Randy do good tomorrow and at the Berry this weekend. Sure haven't been a lot of good reports coming from the Berry this year, so hopefully you figure it out.