Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Magpies don’t like me much.
We learned the first year in this house that if you don’t net the cherry trees and go away camping for Father’s Day weekend when you get back you won’t have any cherrys left. So every year since I met them as soon as they start to turn red.
[Image: IMG-1134.jpg]
(06-14-2023, 08:42 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: We learned the first year in this house that if you don’t net the cherry trees and go away camping for Father’s Day weekend when you get back you won’t have any cherrys left. So every year since I met them as soon as they start to turn red.

Those look pretty ripe already, do you also spray your trees? We had a cherry tree for over thirty year but a couple of years ago a cherry tree disease came through our area and wiped out all the cherry trees within 2 miles, it didn't matter if they were young or old trees, they all died.
(06-14-2023, 08:53 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-14-2023, 08:42 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: We learned the first year in this house that if you don’t net the cherry trees and go away camping for Father’s Day weekend when you get back you won’t have any cherrys left. So every year since I met them as soon as they start to turn red.

Those look pretty ripe already, do you also spray your trees? We had a cherry tree for over thirty year but a couple of years ago a cherry tree disease came through our area and wiped out all the cherry trees within 2 miles, it didn't matter if they were young or old trees, they all died.
I spray all my fruit tree with dormant oil spray when I prune them in February and March.

(06-14-2023, 10:04 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I spray all my fruit tree with dormant oil spray when I prune them in February and March.

I lost one of my cherry trees 2 years ago when the neighbor had an irrigation leak that drowned my tree.

I lost one of my cherry trees 2 years ago when the neighbor had an irrigation leak that drowned my tree.

I’m pretty lucky I bought my house 9 years ago it was built in 97 and they planted 3 apple 1 pear 3 cherry and 1 peach and an apricot that are a mature and producing. We got no apricots last year as a freeze killed all the blossoms but so far so good this year.

I’m pretty lucky I bought my house 9 years ago it was built in 97 and they planted 3 apple 1 pear 3 cherry and 1 peach and an apricot that are a mature and producing. We got no apricots last year as a freeze killed all the blossoms but so far so good this year.
We also have thornless blackberry, grapes, strawberries. My wife made strawberry rhubarb jam and pie filling last weekend with our rhubarb and strawberries on sale at winco.

Now that they are netted we will wait a few weeks to harvest when they are really ripe.
I read the end reply to your post yesterday but today I went back and saw all the replies you added above the last reply. I remember seeing some of those trees when I came over to your place, that is amazing you have enough room for all those plants and trees. I would likely have more fruit trees too but I park my boat under a awning in my back yard, so I barely have enough room as it is to park my boat. That being said, I do have three peach trees and two english walnut trees in my back yard.
Are your cherries all done for the year?