Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My electric nightcrawler getter
Using the instructions in the video "How to make the ultimate electric worm getter" (I used 1" PVC instead of 3/4" that the guy uses in the video.), I made a nightcrawler shocker.  I have owned them before, but they were really cheaply made and I wanted some that were higher quality.  I gave them a try and got 31 nightcrawlers (without moving the prongs) that were large enough for bait.  A fishing buddy told me that he had heard that shocked nightcrawlers died in short order.  I didn't recall experiencing that, but I will keep them separated and see if I notice any problems.  Be aware these can be dangerous to use and I would never use them around young children or pets.  They will also not work on a GFI outlet.

[Image: Shocker.jpg]
Make sure you only use water that doesn t have chlorine in it. And I also like to feed my nightcrawlers corn meal and mix in a few coffee grounds . Tear up the filter and through it in also makes some more bedding.
When i was a kid i used to do that with my grandpa. 6 or 7 year old me got lit up a time or two but its something i'll never forget. Crawler still seemed to catch fish!
(06-19-2023, 07:09 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: Make sure you only use water that doesn t have chlorine in it.  And I also like to feed my nightcrawlers corn meal and mix in a few coffee grounds .  Tear up the filter and through it in also makes some more bedding.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so no coffee grounds to give them.  I did give them some of this to eat.

[Image: Worm-food.jpg]
(06-19-2023, 06:42 PM)Kent Wrote: Using the instructions in the video "How to make the ultimate electric worm getter" (I used 1" PVC instead of 3/4" that the guy uses in the video.), I made a nightcrawler shocker.  I have owned them before, but they were really cheaply made and I wanted some that were higher quality.  I gave them a try and got 31 nightcrawlers (without moving the prongs) that were large enough for bait.  A fishing buddy told me that he had heard that shocked nightcrawlers died in short order.  I didn't recall experiencing that, but I will keep them separated and see if I notice any problems.  Be aware these can be dangerous to use and I would never use them around young children or pets.  They will also not work on a GFI outlet.

Do you have a link to the instructions that tell you how to make it?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(06-19-2023, 09:51 PM)dubob Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 06:42 PM)Kent Wrote: Using the instructions in the video "How to make the ultimate electric worm getter" (I used 1" PVC instead of 3/4" that the guy uses in the video.), I made a nightcrawler shocker.  I have owned them before, but they were really cheaply made and I wanted some that were higher quality.  I gave them a try and got 31 nightcrawlers (without moving the prongs) that were large enough for bait.  A fishing buddy told me that he had heard that shocked nightcrawlers died in short order.  I didn't recall experiencing that, but I will keep them separated and see if I notice any problems.  Be aware these can be dangerous to use and I would never use them around young children or pets.  They will also not work on a GFI outlet.

Do you have a link to the instructions that tell you how to make it?

No I do not.  Go to YouTube and do a search for [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]"How to make the ultimate electric worm getter" and watch the video.  As I mentioned, I wanted a little more room to work with, so I used 1" PVC, instead of the 3/4" that he used.[/font]
If those electric crawlers glow in the dark they should be good for night fishing.  Whatever they do, I'm guessing they will appeal to the sturgeon.  Maybe even some trout, carp, suckers or catfish.
My grandpa had a few of those and we loved getting night crawlers with him. He had a few boxes built with soil and a strip of carpet over the top just for keeping worms. Brings back some memories. Never got shocked, at least that I remember.
I just used my tool again and I caught 58 night crawlers, from one location (I didn't move the prongs from their initial location), on my lawn.  I checked my night crawlers, that I caught on June 19th, and the remaining ones (I have used some for bait.) were all healthy and I never heard a complaint, from any of them, so I assume they are doing just fine.