Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online AIS cert FYI
Today when I went through a Utah DWR AIS inspection station on the way over to the Gorge the tech said that starting July 1 you will need to have taken the online course to register your boat. 1st I have heard anything about it. So if he’s correct depending on when your vessel reg is due don’t get rid of your certificate, I guessing that if you do it online they will want the certificate #
(06-22-2023, 11:49 PM)2knots Wrote: Today when I went through a DWR AIS inspection station on the way over to the Gorge the tech said that starting July 1 you will need to have taken the online course to register your boat. 1st I have heard anything about it. So if he’s correct depending on when your vessel reg is due don’t get rid of your certificate, I guessing that if you do it online they will want the certificate #

Hey Alan, are you talking about a Wyoming AIS inspection station? Is so. are you talking about registering your boat I Wyo?
(06-23-2023, 12:11 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-22-2023, 11:49 PM)2knots Wrote: Today when I went through a DWR AIS inspection station on the way over to the Gorge the tech said that starting July 1 you will need to have taken the online course to register your boat. 1st I have heard anything about it. So if he’s correct depending on when your vessel reg is due don’t get rid of your certificate, I guessing that if you do it online they will want the certificate #

Hey Alan, are you talking about a Wyoming AIS inspection station? Is so. are you talking about registering your boat I Wyo?

No the Utah DWR inspection station is where I got the info. Had to stop at the 1 at the top of Logan Canyon at the Bear Lake overlook
(06-23-2023, 12:14 AM)2knots Wrote:

No the Utah DWR inspection station is where I got the info. Had to stop at the 1 at the top of Logan Canyon at the Bear Lake overlook
Good to know for next year.
(06-23-2023, 12:22 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Mine is due next month which is why he asked if I had done the online class
(06-23-2023, 12:25 AM)2knots Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 12:22 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Mine is due next month which is why he asked if I had done the online class

OK, got ya, mine was due this month.
If you have to do online test to register, does that eliminate the display in the windshield while at the launch site? We still pay for the AIS fee at DMV.  Is the online test tied into DMV registration to prevent someone from registering? 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Thanks for the heads up Alan.... I just updated my registration, so maybe I'll be okay until next year... At least they didn't ask me for that info when I did the registration... But my registration was due last month... Hope I remember to keep my cert number next year... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-23-2023, 01:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the heads up Alan.... I just updated my registration, so maybe I'll be okay until next year... At least they didn't ask me for that info when I did the registration... But my registration was due last month... Hope I remember to keep my cert number next year... Later Jeff

Even if you do forget to save your cert number, you can always go back and retrieve it, as long as you remember your password.
(06-23-2023, 01:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 01:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the heads up Alan.... I just updated my registration, so maybe I'll be okay until next year... At least they didn't ask me for that info when I did the registration... But my registration was due last month... Hope I remember to keep my cert number next year... Later Jeff

Even if you do forget to save your cert number, you can always go back and retrieve it, as long as you remember your password.

That's even harder for me to remember disposable passwords, maybe I need to come up with a password for that site that I write down so I can find it... Later Jeff
All y'all gonna love this; the $10 AIS fee that was previously INCLUDED in your boat registration cost is now going to be a SEPERATE $20 fee that you can pay it at the time of boat registration or pay it separately.  Not sure yet when or how you would pay it separately.  And Utah will give you yet another decal to put on your boat that certifies that you have passed the AIS course online and that you have paid the increased $20 AIS fee.  I would assume that because you will have a decal on your boat that the old AIS forms that you used to put on your tow vehicles dash will be discontinued.  If you need more information on this, you can call 801-538-5500 for more details regarding these latest changes to the AIS program and how it will affect your water vessel registration after July 1, 2023.  I can't do ALL the work for you.
Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(06-23-2023, 01:49 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 01:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

That's even harder for me to remember disposable passwords, maybe I need to come up with a password for that site that I write down so I can find it... Later Jeff

Jeff, I know this is old school but you could put pen to paper and write the password down. I've found that the older I get it works out much better, when trying to keep track of things. About 20 years ago I started keeping a fish journal for fishing trips and that is one place to keep such info but isn't there a section on your phone where you could keep notes too?
(06-23-2023, 02:23 PM)dubob Wrote: All y'all gonna love this; the $10 AIS fee that was previously INCLUDED in your boat registration cost is now going to be a SEPERATE $20 fee that you can pay it at the time of boat registration or pay it separately.  Not sure yet when or how you would pay it separately.  And Utah will give you yet another decal to put on your boat that certifies that you have passed the AIS course online and that you have paid the increased $20 AIS fee.  I would assume that because you will have a decal on your boat that the old AIS forms that you used to put on your tow vehicles dash will be discontinued.  If you need more information on this, you can call 801-538-5500 for more details regarding these latest changes to the AIS program and how it will affect your water vessel registration after July 1, 2023.  I can't do ALL the work for you.
Big Grin

Thanks for the info Bob, so let me get this straight, we will no longer be required to pay the extra $10 fee in our boat registration but in it's place we will have to pay a new separate $20 fee for AIS, is that correct? 
The problem as I see it when it comes to making a call to that number is that it's unlikely we will actually talk to a person. I called and got the answering machine, guess I'll wait like everyone else to get a reply, hopefully.
The past few years they have had all of my AIS information at the booth because I registered my boat with them. They know every state run launch ramp I have been to, and when for the past 3 years.
(06-22-2023, 11:49 PM)2knots Wrote: Today when I went through a Utah DWR AIS inspection station on the way over to the Gorge the tech said that starting July 1 you will need to have taken the online course to register your boat. 1st I have heard anything about it. So if he’s correct depending on when your vessel reg is due don’t get rid of your certificate, I guessing that if you do it online they will want the certificate #

https://stdofthesea.utah.gov/  

Looks like its true
It must be a rule that to justify budgets, they have to constantly invent new hoops to have us jump through - and charge us more to create them, of course.

My boat registration is in November. It will be amusing to see if they will have the 2024 online course up then, or if I'll have to use the 2023 certificate number.
Regarding passwords !! I have a stack of 3x5 cards with user names & passwords that is over 2" thick. Every time I need a password to whatever site I am going to, it takes 5 minutes to rifle through the stack to find the right one !! It is a PAIN IN THE DORSAL POSTERIOR !! Clerks look at me funny when I request a PAPER receipt rather than a electronic one.

As to the AIS online to register your boat !!Took em long enough to figure out that to get everyone to take the test, have it part of the registration process, DUH!! No all we have to do is get scanners installed on the Park gates so we can scan our pass' and get on the water before 6:30 !! ( when pigs fly !!)
There are such things as password managers, where you only have to remember one master password and it keeps track of all others, signs you in, and records any changes. I have long used RoboForm, which does that and also fills in forms with my info, credit card numbers, etc. It isn't free, but there are some password managers that are. Oh, and RoboForm is doubly encoded for security. 

Many browsers also have a password storage function, but may not be as secure as a dedicated one.
Has anyone asked how this new fee goes if you register more than one floater? Like a boat and a pontoon? I'm sure I'll have to pay the $20 twice... This really bites... Once upon a time I thought they were passing this fee along to paddler boards and kayaks as well that are non motorized, did that go through as well? If so are they now going to be licensed or just require the sticker... May have to sell my pontoon they are making it too expensive to keep, especially since I hardly use it anymore... But dang I prefer fishing from it at times, but it's not worth $80-$100 a year extra to have that ability... I think they need to look at the costs they are imposing on folks, some of these are unreasonable...
Guess it just depends on how much you get to use things and since I'm riding tractors instead of floats I guess the price seems overly high for the number of times I get out... Later J
YES, this makes no sense.