Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trial Lake Area 6/24 and intro
I guess I should introduce myself. I used to post on here a long time ago, but stopped for a while. I grew up here in SLC. Lived here my whole life. I enjoy bass fishing at Utah Lake and Jordanelle, but also enjoy chasing bigger trout in Strawberry and the Gorge. I don't own a boat, never been much of a trolling guy. Use to have a float tube. Have wondered if that might be fun to get back in to. I love to fish the high Uintas as well.

Heard the highway was open and grabbed my son and my dad and went up yesterday. Drove past Trial and parked along the street at Teapot and walked in. Water is really high, probably four or five feet higher than last fall. I caught one right of the bat, small tiger. We had a few bites. My son wanted to go try Lost. No luck at Lost, saw a few people catching small rainbows on bait. We decided to drive down to Washington. Washington was hard to access because of the river coming down Crystal and because the water was quite high on the shorline. There was still some ice/slush on the lake on the shady side. Trial had some similar looking stuff on it as well. We walked up to Crystal and we caught 5 grayling within about a half hour.

Not a lot of fish, no size to anything, but I have never caught a grayling previously so that was kind of neat to catch one, even if they were only 9 inches. I saw a kid land a big one (12-13 inch) in the river between Crystal and Washington. We were fishing with fly and bubbles. I like to use that technique there because it seems to work pretty well on any lake. I fish that most of the time up there, sometimes I'll use a spinner or super duper. We caught all the grayling on renegade flies. I like to use any flying ant pattern, mosquito pattern, gnat pattern, and sinking nymphs up there.
Wow, that was a lot of places you guys hit, sounds like a fun time with your dad and son. Last report from up that way said mirror lake was still frozen, did you by chance go by there and check it out?
(06-26-2023, 12:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that was a lot of places you guys hit, sounds like a fun time with your dad and son. Last report from up that way said mirror lake was still frozen, did you by chance go by there and check it out?

I went up yesterday again and to my surprise it was completely open. Last week there was so much ice and snow you couldn't even drive down to the lake. Probably was a couple feet of snow. This week you can drive down no problem and lake is completely open. I was shocked all that melted in just 7 days!
Wow, that is amazing but I was thinking with all those other places you fished, I thought maybe mirror might be open too. Can't believe it melted that quick. Thanks for the heads up.
Love to hear about them grayling. I love to chase them up there. And great to have you back posting.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-26-2023, 12:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that was a lot of places you guys hit, sounds like a fun time with your dad and son. Last report from up that way said mirror lake was still frozen, did you by chance go by there and check it out?

Did not drive over the hill. Wouldn't surprise me if it was still frozen, especially with Trial and Washington still having some ice.

I didn't read the whole thread. Maybe we need to head up to Mirror. I wonder how it is hiking in to Fehr and ones like that. Still lots of snow around.