Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Fishing for pup lake trout at Flaming Gorge
Everyone seems to agree that the pup lake trout are eating way too many kokanee at Lake Trout, so I decided to try my luck at thinning out the population of lake trout pups. Only problem is that I haven't fished at Flaming Gorge since I was a teenager, and that was many decades ago.  I would really appreciate any guidance you more experienced folks can give me on how and where to catch the pups at the Gorge. I've seen recent episodes on pups at Flaming Gorge on both KSL Outdoors and Hooked on Utah, but I'd be happy to hear about your personal experience and recommendations.  I'll be going to the lower part of the reservoir near Dutch John.  Internet sites  talk about Mustang Ridge, Jarvies Canyon, Hideout, Linwood Bay, Antelope Flats, Stateliness, Anvil Draw, and Buckboard, but I'm not sure if these locations are good for trophy lake trout, or pups.  On the TV shows, the fishermen use big tube jigs and spoons and either troll (with or without popper) or jig vertically.  If you can fill in some of the details regarding gear, bait, and techniques, or at least tell about your recent experience at the Gorge, I'll be very grateful.
(06-26-2023, 09:41 PM)SkinnyLynnie Wrote: Everyone seems to agree that the pup lake trout are eating way too many kokanee at Lake Trout, so I decided to try my luck at thinning out the population of lake trout pups. Only problem is that I haven't fished at Flaming Gorge since I was a teenager, and that was many decades ago.  I would really appreciate any guidance you more experienced folks can give me on how and where to catch the pups at the Gorge. I've seen recent episodes on pups at Flaming Gorge on both KSL Outdoors and Hooked on Utah, but I'd be happy to hear about your personal experience and recommendations.  I'll be going to the lower part of the reservoir near Dutch John.  Internet sites  talk about Mustang Ridge, Jarvies Canyon, Hideout, Linwood Bay, Antelope Flats, Stateliness, Anvil Draw, and Buckboard, but I'm not sure if these locations are good for trophy lake trout, or pups.  On the TV shows, the fishermen use big tube jigs and spoons and either troll (with or without popper) or jig vertically.  If you can fill in some of the details regarding gear, bait, and techniques, or at least tell about your recent experience at the Gorge, I'll be very grateful.

are you going to troll for them are jig.   I have only fished by the dam 2 times 
a lot of the time the pups are under the kokanee.
I used to use very large pop gear with a frozen minnow or sucker meat at the end. Of course that was the days I used flat fish also. Some of the places you have listed are up on the Wyoming side of the Lake and the rest around Linwood bay. Up in Wyoming I would target humps on the bottom of the lake. Down near the Damn the water is quite deep, so targetting the bottom would put you very close to shore. I would run plug type minow imitations, with lots of scent added. Fun thing I like to do, is run a kokanee type set up with a dodger, but instead of a squid run a Rapala. Flash brings them in from a distance to check it out.
(06-27-2023, 06:01 PM)BROWNBAGGN Wrote: I used to use very large pop gear with a frozen minnow or sucker meat at the end. Of course that was the days I used flat fish also. Some of the places you have listed are up on the Wyoming side of the Lake and the rest around Linwood bay. Up in Wyoming I would target humps on the bottom of the lake. Down near the Damn the water is quite deep, so targetting the bottom would put you very close to shore. I would run plug type minow imitations, with lots of scent added. Fun thing I like to do, is run a kokanee type set up with a dodger, but instead of a squid run a Rapala. Flash brings them in from a distance to check it out.

thanks for the info.
Brownbaggn provided some good techniques to use near the dam. Good spots to look down there are around the islands near the dam, specifically the main channel side. Also look at the shoreline along highway 191 near the Cart Creek bridge. Last summer there were a lot of pups along there, suspended 60-80ft, and catchable via trolling and jigging. Going uplake, Gold Point and Jarvies along the east wall and near the campground can also be good. The cliffs at the campground can hold a lot of pups. Continuing uplake North Skull Creek is another spot to try. Once again, I've found them along the cliffs at the mouth of the canyon on the uplake side.

Hope that helps and good luck! Ryno