Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Truck Maintenance
Periodically I would put my code reader on checking for DTC codes. If I see a code pertaining to performance, I will clear it and drive around for a while to see if it comes back. Since my truck was due emissions testing for registration (the joke of this test is to check for an aftermarket performance mod or computer chip, no probe checking exhaust since my truck is too old with no catalytic converter), now is a good time rechecking for a DTC code. I now have a 2nd time offender pointing to low turbo boost pressure. Troubleshooting reveals Y-Pipe rubber boots leaking. There are 4 boots 2 orange in color & 2 blue in color on the Y-Pipe, 3 total had oily dirty buildup on the outside. At over 200G miles I felt it was best to replace these. This is not a cheap price as I spent $231 for 4 small boots. It was a PITA to change the lower orange boots and the 2 upper blues wasn't exactly a cake walk but task is done. There are 2 more blue boots which are longer and being referred to as hoses on parts diaphragm that fit on each side of the inter-cooler behind radiator connecting to a rigid pipe to Y-Pipe. These hoses are $92 each and are on backorder with no do in date. I didn't order these as I will clean and if necessary, do a temp repair.

[Image: Y-Pipe-Boot3.jpg]
The orange boot is mounted on Y-Pipe
under upper rigid pipe

[Image: Y-Pipe-Boot4.jpg]
The blue boots are upper that connect to
rigid pipe going to inter-cooler

[Image: Y-Pipe-Boot5.jpg]
All boots are 3" diameter, orange 2½"L

Blue boots are 3"L

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Heres an unsolicited tip. Keep a can of aerosol hairspray in your truck for a spell after replacing them. I battled slipping boots for a bit on one of my old strokers. I had them replaced as preventative maintenance while other repairs were taking place, not due to failure. After replacement, they would continually blow off when boost started climbing( stock motor). I can't tell you how many hills I was stopped mid climb on. The fix was generally quick and I would clean and tighten the connection as much as I dared. Rinse and repeat next time a steep grade came. Finally had a friend mention hairspray on both surfaces of the connection. Let dry, then slide together. Gave enough tackiness to hold and seal under higher boost, but not enough to be a permanent attachment.
Thanks EyLayo, while this is appearing to be a good tip, my orange boots have a ridge on the inside to fit in a groove on the inter-cooler pipe and the blue boots fit in between end ridges that are on both ends of mating surfaces. With that said, its must have been an issue in the past with slippage which prompted a fix by manufacturer. 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
UPDATE-After a previous trip to Strawberry fishing 7-17, found that my truck was struggling to pull the trailer out of the water. It got worse when I trailered the boat. It would go in gear but required a lot of power just to get it to move and very slow. Once on level ground all worked as should. I was thinking maybe I might have a transmission issue with band adjustment. I put it in the shop to have analyzed, mechanic says all is working as it should, but he couldn't get it to repeat what it was doing as I explained. He did mention turbo boost was just a little low and not enough to affect what I took it in for. I had the new intercooler boots on hand which cost me an aftermarket price of $29ea and ready to install after I got vehicle back. The next day I removed the radiator and intercooler so I can replace those boots.

[Image: Radiator.jpg]
After removing the radiator, this is 200K 

miles of collected dirt, debris & bugs. At this point
it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the radiator
considering its age now. That's another day eventually

[Image: Degreaser.jpg]
Found this at Sam's Club and decided to

give it a try!

[Image: Intercooler.jpg]
These intercoolers get oily from the CCV or 

as we know as a PCV which is mounted on 
valve cover vented into intercooler turbo boost 
system. Found on YouTube how to clean out 
cooler by mixing 1/2gal degreaser into very hot
water (adjusted water heater to max setting 
for this) letting soak 15min. this was boiling
suds out from both ports. Dump out intercooler &
repeat 2 more times doing a final rinse.

After re-installing all items and test drive, started getting better turbo boost indicated but hard to judge the power. So my trip to the Berry on 8-9 would be the real test while towing. Still hard to judge the power as truck seemed to always run great before. Boost is the only thing indicated that was higher. Going to the launch ramp is where I had the issue. After launching & trailering boat I had no more issue coming out of the water.
Harrisville UT