Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Strawberry 23 Kokanee Theory
Here goes, This has been an historical  water year, Strawberry is rising and cold. There is no thermocline or in the old days we called it turning over, which happened around memorial day. The kokaneee are hungry because the zoo plankton have not bloomed yet, they attack our gear out of aggression not hunger. The Kokes are all just low energy now and not interested in our gear. Compounding the situation there are fewer kokes being planted at the Berry as DWR putts them all over the state in other bodies of water. As far as the Cutts go, quit complaining about not getting to keep fish at the Berry and take home 14" Cutts and football bows. There will eventually be a koke bite at the Berry this summer, a few warm days will make a huge differance.
Good point Shawn. It's still great fishing.
Never going to complain about reeling fish in, that is one of the great things about Strawberry. I don’t believe I’ve ever been skunked there.
OK obione, I totally buy your theory for a dollar and a donut. With that said Jordanelle. Have you targeted that body of water much for kokes? I'm thinking the thermo is going to set in faster than the Berry with the elevation difference. I have never went after kokes there and would have a hard time passing up casting for browns to take the time. But I need something to do this weekend and I need some yummy candy off the smoker. It has been a long winter to be deprived of it!
(06-28-2023, 01:33 PM)BROWNBAGGN Wrote: OK obione, I totally buy your theory for a dollar and a donut. With that said Jordanelle. Have you targeted that body of water much for kokes? I'm thinking the thermo is going to set in faster than the Berry with the elevation difference. I have never went after kokes there and would have a hard time passing up casting for browns to take the time. But I need something to do this weekend and I need some yummy candy off the smoker. It has been a long winter to be deprived of it!

Funny you mention Jordanelle that is where I will be Friday.
Jordanelle was dynamite for Kokes two years ago. Not so much since then. Hoping things improve but from the half dozen times I've been up this year it doesn't look good. I'll give a go next week.
OK OBI ONE.....I know your catching KOKES.......LOL
I have been feverishly waiting for reports on the big res for kokes since the heat set in.

You'll notice... not a one. Good or bad. My suspicion is the bite is now "on" and no one wants their little secret out LOL.
(07-09-2023, 10:28 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: I have been feverishly waiting for reports on the big res for kokes since the heat set in.

You'll notice... not a one. Good or bad. My suspicion is the bite is now "on" and no one wants their little secret out LOL.

The bite has picked up a little.  I caught 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday.  Gold sling blade with a pink mini squid worked best.  They are starting to school up and easier to see on the fish finder, but still hard to entice to bite.

35 to 49ft deep.
I can't say that the bite has picked up exactly. You are going to have to work really hard. Dang Hard! I have yet to catch a koke on the strawberry side. 30 to 40 feet. Pink was the best color, but I have since tossed all my sling blades. They got out fished 8 to 0.
[Image: 2023.jpg]
(07-10-2023, 04:43 PM)BROWNBAGGN Wrote: I can't say that the bite has picked up exactly. You are going to have to work really hard. Dang Hard! I have yet to catch a koke on the strawberry side. 30 to 40 feet. Pink was the best color, but I have since tossed all my sling blades. They got out fished 8 to 0.
Nice koke, you don't see many that sized on the SC side. How long was it?
[Image: fillets.jpg]

I never measured.(18-19) He is in Brine getting ready for the smoker. After the glory days of the gorge, Its hard to judge strawberry kokes. They all look small. I'm just happy to be eating salmon again with some squash out of the garden. Fillets getting ready
(07-11-2023, 07:44 PM)BROWNBAGGN Wrote: I never measured.(18-19) He is in Brine getting ready for the smoker. After the glory days of the gorge, Its hard to judge strawberry kokes. They all look small. I'm just happy to be eating salmon again with some squash out of the garden. Fillets getting ready

Sounds good, we are getting fresh squash as well, along with green beans a snow peas, the garden season is finally here.