Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 6/24/23
Brett and I fished out of Renegade on Saturday. In most ways it was not a good day for us. We only caught three trout. And of course no kokes. We learned some things about long-lining with weights. We managed to lose several setups when they got too deep and hung up in the rocks. Late in the afternoon we got tired of banging our heads against the wall and tried something else. We went up a cove that I think was Horse Creek and anchored up in 14' of water. We tried jigging and casting a lot of different things. I had a white tube jig hanging near the bottom just over the side of the boat. I had added a crawler and let it trail out enticingly (so I thought). Then I pulled it in and gobbed the worm up on the hook and sent it back down and dead-sticked it. Boy was I getting bored. I got up to get something from up in the bow when something caught my eye. My rod was pulsing and jerking. Finally, no skunk. I reeled up a pretty good cutthroat, just what I set as my goal for the day. When we got it on the tape its tail fin just stretched to 20", another of my goals. I was happy to think that that would put me in first place in the Spring Challenge. It did and it didn't. At the same time Dirt Bag was fishing with Pisco over at Scofield and he caught a 20"er too. That left us in a dead heat for first place. Congrats, Jon. This is really coming down to a nail biter.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-28-2023, 07:20 AM)catchinon Wrote: Brett and I fished out of Renegade on Saturday. In most ways it was not a good day for us. We only caught three trout. And of course no kokes. We learned some things about long-lining with weights. We managed to lose several setups when they got too deep and hung up in the rocks. Late in the afternoon we got tired of banging our heads against the wall and tried something else. We went up a cove that I think was Horse Creek and anchored up in 14' of water. We tried jigging and casting a lot of different things. I had a white tube jig hanging near the bottom just over the side of the boat. I had added a crawler and let it trail out enticingly (so I thought). Then I pulled it in and gobbed the worm up on the hook and sent it back down and dead-sticked it. Boy was I getting bored. I got up to get something from up in the bow when something caught my eye. My rod was pulsing and jerking. Finally, no skunk. I reeled up a pretty good cutthroat, just what I set as my goal for the day. When we got it on the tape its tail fin just stretched to 20", another of my goals. I was happy to think that that would put me in first place in the Spring Challenge. It did and it didn't. At the same time Dirt Bag was fishing with Pisco over at Scofield and he caught a 20"er too. That left us in a dead heat for first place. Congrats, Jon. This is really coming down to a nail biter.

Sounds like a tough day Craig, glad you finally got the skunk off. How many hours were you guys up there fishing?