Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Report
Tough tough tough Spent 6 days fishing at the Gorge, fished from the confluence(Lost Dog) down to the state line. Took us 4 days to locate any groups/schools of Kokanee which wouldn’t have happened without the Live Scope. Then getting them to bite consistently was another story. Water temp was 62-64 on the surface through the week, dropped a temp probe down and didn’t change much until 45 where it dropped to 58 and then 54 at 50. Single marks in the water column just no schools and the 1st 4 days we would pick up 1 or 2 a day which kept us in ceviche and some fish tacos. Did catch a few pups and rainbows along with 1 cutt from the surface down to 50. On days 5 and 6 we located some numbers down in the pipeline area, they were holding tight to the structure from 20 to 45’ down, as the boat approached we could see them move out off the structure into deeper water with the live scope so we started doing big S turns to drag the gear through undisturbed water. Ended up with 5 nice fish from 18-21.5”s on Tuesday, Wednesday we went back down to the same area and finished up limits. Early on the am they would hit a RMT clear and pink UV hoochie, later they would hit a blue and UV beaded spinner or a Paulina Peak Tequila Sunrise spinner all pulled behind a RMT Hyperplaid sling blade. My friends that were out in another boat also did catch their fish along with a 14.5lb laker on the pink UV hoochie. Fun trip but you really had to work, not like the years past. Big thanks to Robert for introducing me to the Live Scope, definitely a huge help. 

[Image: IMG-0960.jpg]

(06-28-2023, 10:56 PM)2knots Wrote: Tough tough tough Spent 6 days fishing at the Gorge, fished from the confluence(Lost Dog) down to the state line. Took us 4 days to locate any groups/schools of Kokanee which wouldn’t have happened without the Live Scope. Then getting them to bite consistently was another story. Water temp was 62-64 on the surface through the week, dropped a temp probe down and didn’t change much until 45 where it dropped to 58 and then 54 at 50. Single marks in the water column just no schools and the 1st 4 days we would pick up 1 or 2 a day which kept us in ceviche and some fish tacos. Did catch a few pups and rainbows along with 1 cutt from the surface down to 50. On days 5 and 6 we located some numbers down in the pipeline area, they were holding tight to the structure from 20 to 45’ down, as the boat approached we could see them move out off the structure into deeper water with the live scope so we started doing big S turns to drag the gear through undisturbed water. Ended up with 5 nice fish from 18-21.5”s on Tuesday, Wednesday we went back down to the same area and finished up limits. Early on the am they would hit a RMT clear and pink UV hoochie, later they would hit a blue and UV beaded spinner or a Paulina Peak Tequila Sunrise spinner all pulled behind a RMT Hyperplaid sling blade. My friends that were out in another boat also did catch their fish along with a 14.5lb laker on the pink UV hoochie. Fun trip but you really had to work, not like the years past. Big thanks to Robert for introducing me to the Live Scope, definitely a huge help. 

[Image: IMG-0960.jpg]

ITs a grind out there this year my friend, way to stick with it and get a few.
I love tech but it is Sad when the fishery is so tight that you have to have it vs. want to have it.

Hope the koke fishing improves for all my salmon chasn BFTers
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds like you put in the time for those kokes Alan, at least they have some good size to them. I'm kind of surprised you didn't fish your other favorite lake up there.
Great report Alan, you really earned those fish, man it must be tough this year to take that much time and tech to finally make it happen.. Way to grind out the success... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
We fished a couple hours a day for them (last week), but not in the prime hours, and got blanked. Last year, when we got tired of jigging for macs we would troll for kokes so we could relax and caught some every single time very easily.

This year, we have caught exactly ZERO kokanee after THREE trips. I applaud you that you put in some effort to figure them out!

I'm not entirely sure that there is a shortage of fish...that lake is seriously messed up right now. Water temp was only 61 last last week...usually it's almost 70, and it's up about 15 or 20 feet higher than NORMAL (a lot higher than that compared to last fall when they were letting water out). We are not finding any fish where they usually are this time of year...I think everything is late this summer and it might get good later on.

Or not.
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.