Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
North Fork Duchesne
My wife and I along with our two dogs went camping this last week at the Hades campground next to the north fork.  Not necessarily a fishing trip (only caught one 15" bow), fishing about 3 hours over four days. Mostly there for relaxing and letting the dogs off leash. I'm' trying to learn how to fly fish so most of my fishing time was focused on that. It is absolutely beautiful up there and we will be going back. I found a great spot to practice as seen in the photos below. Perfect.
[Image: 20230629-074132.jpg]

[Image: 20230629-074124.jpg]
Thanks for the report and pictures.  That is some pretty country up there.  

You're right, that is a great place to learn to fly fish, not many trees to worry about. Smile

Good luck learning a fun way to catch fish.
Beautiful photos.. i am familiar with that area.. wonder place to chill and toss a line..

I have taught a few to fly fish. It is a great way to catch fish. It is a personal preference but I don't like to teach it on a glass smooth section of stream. The presentation has to be very good or you slap the water and scare the fish. Also you typically need a longer leader to create more space between the more visible fly line and the fly. Finally in slow glass water the fish can stare at it forever before committing. Lots of time for them to spot a fake.

On a section that has a little more movement and structure they have to make a quick decision and I can fish it with shorter leader which is much easier for a new fly fisherman to handle. You do have to pay attention to line mending in current so the drift looks natural and brush on the side can be a challenge but over all on small streams, in structure and current, I think you can make a lot more mistake while learning and still get a lot of takes. As for not snagging in a brushy side creek, I like to be in the water where I can direct my back cast over water ( parallel) vs behind me into brush.

Enjoy the journey. Nothing feels better than to watch a 10" brookie that thinks he is jaws come out of the water after my elk hair caddis
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thank you for the reply. I had a 7 1/2' leader on. I wanted to try from in the water but it was very cold and I haven't invested in any waders. I guess if I really want to do this right I'll need to go shopping again. Thank you again for the information.
Some fish don't like guys like me, yeah but some fish do. But just a few.
Looks like a beautiful area, it's been a while since I was up there, is this below the road that splits, one way going to Moon lake, the other going to the upper Stillwater or above it?
It's 6 or 7 miles north of the Stockmore Ranger Station on FR 144 at the very bottom of the canyon coming down from Wolf Creek Pass. Next to DeFa's Dude Ranch. I didn't realize Stillwater was that close. I'll be visiting there on my next trip up that way.
Some fish don't like guys like me, yeah but some fish do. But just a few.
(07-03-2023, 06:26 PM)2021ang Wrote: It's 6 or 7 miles north of the Stockmore Ranger Station on FR 144 at the very bottom of the canyon coming down from Wolf Creek Pass. Next to DeFa's Dude Ranch. I didn't realize Stillwater was that close. I'll be visiting there on my next trip up that way.

OK, that's farther West than I thought. Yes, Stillwater isn't far from there.
Yes, Moon Lake is two canyons east of there. The creek that comes out of the Upper Stillwater, Rock Creek, has a lot of small trout but they sure are fun. There are some ponds down on the Lower Stillwater that have good fishing, too. Maybe Ron will chime in and correct any errors I may have made in my names and descriptions.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(07-03-2023, 07:23 PM)catchinon Wrote: Yes, Moon Lake is two canyons east of there. The creek that comes out of the Upper Stillwater, Rock Creek, has a lot of small trout but they sure are fun. There are some ponds down on the Lower Stillwater that have good fishing, too. Maybe Ron will chime in and correct any errors I may have made in my names and descriptions.

That is where I thought he was talking about, that area between the upper Still water and the lower before the ponds but isn't there indian land mixed in that area somewhere? I've seen some big fish come out of those ponds.
(07-02-2023, 05:02 PM)2021ang Wrote: My wife and I along with our two dogs went camping this last week at the Hades campground next to the north fork.  Not necessarily a fishing trip (only caught one 15" bow), fishing about 3 hours over four days. Mostly there for relaxing and letting the dogs off leash. I'm' trying to learn how to fly fish so most of my fishing time was focused on that. It is absolutely beautiful up there and we will be going back. I found a great spot to practice as seen in the photos below. Perfect.
[Image: 20230629-074132.jpg]

[Image: 20230629-074124.jpg]

Awesome, We camp up there in Aspen C.G alot. In fact that area is what has me also trying to learn how to fly fish. Glad you were able to get on one.
Upper Stillwater is coming over the spillway- what an awesome sight to see! Last year when we were there, the water level was about 80' lower and the boat ramp was closed- about 50 yards of gravel after the ramp to the water. The ramp is closed now because the water is too high. All water feeding Rock Creek is from the spillway right now. Rock Creek is clear, but really high. I didn't even bother fishing it. The mud slides last year (from the wildfires) have really impacted part of the canyon, and I am sure have messed up some of the fishing and aquatic life.
What a great time to be in the Uintahs right now!
I have to chime in on this. Absolutely gorgeous up there. I’ll be at Defa’s for the entire Mountain Jam. My plan after that is to stay at Hades or Aspen or Iron Mountain depending on how it goes. Or. I might just stay at Defa’s a few more days. Will fish a bit. Either way it’s the highlight of my year.

(07-10-2023, 07:20 PM)JazzyM Wrote: I have to chime in on this. Absolutely gorgeous up there. I’ll be at Defa’s for the entire Mountain Jam. My plan after that is to stay at Hades or Aspen or Iron Mountain depending on how it goes. Or. I might just stay at Defa’s a few more days. Will fish a bit. Either way it’s the highlight of my year.

Iron Mine. Oops