Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot sauce
My son has lately become a hot sauce connoisesseur (had to look up the correct spelling of that one). We have 24 bottles on a shelf near the dinner table. He puts some on almost everything he eats and has built up his tolerance so that the hotter ones don't bother him. Anyway, I'd like to know what your favorites are and why. I'm partial to Tapatio and Frank's and put a few drops of good old Tabasco in the beef stew I made last night. His favorite is one called Secret Aardvark. It is flavorful and on the hotter side.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

My go to is 'Cholula'.  It has a less bitter aftertaste than does Tabasco.  I also think the heat effect and overall flavor is slightly smoother than Tabasco.
Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Cholula is the first step on the ladder of hot sauces. Quite good, too.

I've tried many, many kinds. I do not like the ones that are compounded strictly to be the hottest thing this side of the sun. Most of them have terrible chemical aftertaste. The better ones are in the mid-range of heat. Examples include Frank's, Tapatio, Texas Pete, Louisiana, Crystal, Tabasco, and others in that range. My favorite has long been Arizona Gunslinger. The original is made from sun-ripened jalapenos and is a lot thicker than the vinegar-based ones like Tabasco. They now make many varieties. For an intro, get their three-pack of Original, Chipotle, and Green. https://azgunslinger.com/store/

Hint: try a few drops of AZG Original on potato salad. Trust me on this; you'll thank me.

The bargain sauce is Crystal. You get three times as much for one-third the price of Tabasco - and I like it better.
Excellent replies. I bought two 2 oz bottles of Cholula to take with me when I eat out, just in case. Was going to put it down as my fourth choice. I've been on a Cajun-cooking kick and in studying that I learned that hot sauces can, mostly, be divided into two types: Mexican and Louisiana. The Louisiana sauces are vinegar and chili based. Two examples are Tabasco and Crystal. Got to get me some Crystal. Some that aren't in that dichotomy are Sriracha and some that come from different places and cultures such as the Carribean.

Rocky, I'm sure we will be ordering up some of your selections.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I prefer Crystal to Tabasco given a choice. Sriracha is good, but it is pretty heavy with garlic, and that doesn't go so well with a lot of foods. I like sauces with a moderate amount of heat, low vinegar, and a lot of flavor besides the heat. AZG hits all three of those. Sadly, I can't find it locally anywhere and have to order it in. (Right now, I looks like their website is having issues. Keep trying.)