Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Creek
So we are heading to current creek camping this weekend and will take the boat along.  It's been 20-plus years since I have been up there fishing.  What are the best options for fishing bait and Tactics from the boat?  Any help would be greatly appreciated
(07-05-2023, 03:08 PM)big_griggs Wrote: So we are heading to current creek camping this weekend and will take the boat along.  It's been 20-plus years since I have been up there fishing.  What are the best options for fishing bait and Tactics from the boat?  Any help would be greatly appreciated

I fished there 2 weekends ago with decent success.  I fished from shore so take that for what it's worth.  Rainbows can be had in the am and pm on powerbait.  Corn flavor seemed to work well.   If you are going after the tigers or cutthroats try red sided shiners.  Sportsman's sells frozen ones. Or bring a minnow trap. 

The road in once you leave the pavement is rough.  Washboard and washed out areas from the big winter.  I'd bring a towel or two to wipe all the dust off everything once you arrive.  Also bring bug dope.  The deers flies were just starting to get bad.  By now they could be worse, or better?
So how did you end up doing, did you catch anything?
(07-20-2023, 09:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: So how did you end up doing, did you catch anything?

Yup caught major sunburn and 5 bows 1 tiger and a crap ton of leaches. LOL
[Image: image-67198721.jpg]
[Image: image-67226113.jpg]

Red Sided shiners on the Tiger and worm 2 ft under bobber in the inlet was the Key

[Image: image-67228673.jpg]
Wow, that looks like some bad sunburn, thanks for the report. Leaches? Were they in the water, did you find them by wading when fishing?
So like what is the deal with the deer flies this year? I've never seen them as thick as they were the last two days. I killed over 30 the other night and it seems like I usually just see two or three at a time. Big hatch this year in Cache Valley... They always seem to get me no matter how careful I am to try and keep an eye out for them and man I hate their bites... At least they don't leave the month long welt of the horse flies... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(07-21-2023, 01:48 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that looks like some bad sunburn, thanks for the report. Leaches? Were they in the water, did you find them by wading when fishing?

Found while swimming and seeing around the shallow inlet
(07-21-2023, 02:51 PM)big_griggs Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 01:48 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that looks like some bad sunburn, thanks for the report. Leaches? Were they in the water, did you find them by wading when fishing?

Found while swimming and seeing around the shallow inlet

Sounds like they would be great bait at that lake, if there are that many in there.
I will be up there with a group  on the 10th of Aug.. My boat and their trailers. How rough is the gravel section? How crowded were the campsites? Can a boat be left in the water overnight? Any answers are appreciated.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(07-22-2023, 08:05 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I will be up there with a group  on the 10th of Aug.. My boat and their trailers. How rough is the gravel section? How crowded were the campsites? Can a boat be left in the water overnight? Any answers are appreciated.

You might be able to launch a boat but I just read a report on FB that said the ramp is now out of the water Undecided no idea if it is true but you should be able to contact someone at CC state park and find out for sure.
(07-22-2023, 08:05 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I will be up there with a group  on the 10th of Aug.. My boat and their trailers. How rough is the gravel section? How crowded were the campsites? Can a boat be left in the water overnight? Any answers are appreciated.

I can't answer your other questions but the boat ramp should be fine.  The reservoir is 90% full so launching shouldn't be a problem.  You will have to take it slow for the approximately 18 miles for the sake of your boat. Sad
(07-22-2023, 10:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

You might be able to launch a boat but I just read a report on FB that said the ramp is now out of the water Undecided no idea if it is true but you should be able to contact someone at CC state park and find out for sure.

No state park at Currant Creek.  From the Recreation.Gov website: "[font="Open Sans", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Due to a recent DNR test, the lake level has dropped multiple feet in the last few days. The boat ramp is no longer touching the water, and watercraft that require trailering into the water will not be able to launch at this time. The test is complete and the lake is rising about 6” per day."[/font]
(07-23-2023, 01:38 AM)Kent Wrote:
(07-22-2023, 10:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

No state park at Currant Creek.  From the Recreation.Gov website:  "[font="Open Sans", "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Due to a recent DNR test, the lake level has dropped multiple feet in the last few days. The boat ramp is no longer touching the water, and watercraft that require trailering into the water will not be able to launch at this time. The test is complete and the lake is rising about 6” per day."[/font]
That must be one short boat ramp to not reach the water at 90% capacity. Confused
Recreation.gov shows that it was dropped 6-7 feet. Rising 6"  a day should make that up by the time I arrive. Thanks.
That must be one short boat ramp to not reach the water at 90% capacity. Confused
[/quote]

Is it possible that the website just has not been updated on when it said 90%?
If it only dropped 6 or 7 ft that is for sure a short ramp.
[quote="Kent" pid="1147642" dateline="1690076315"]

No state park at Currant Creek.  From the Recreation.Gov website:  "Due to a recent DNR test, the lake level has dropped multiple feet in the last few days. The boat ramp is no longer touching the water, and watercraft that require trailering into the water will not be able to launch at this time. The test is complete and the lake is rising about 6” per day."

If the state parks don't run it do you know who does Kent? Is it the same company as runs Strawberry?
(07-23-2023, 02:46 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 01:38 AM)Kent Wrote: No state park at Currant Creek.  From the Recreation.Gov website:  "Due to a recent DNR test, the lake level has dropped multiple feet in the last few days. The boat ramp is no longer touching the water, and watercraft that require trailering into the water will not be able to launch at this time. The test is complete and the lake is rising about 6” per day."

If the state parks don't run it do you know who does Kent? Is it the same company as runs Strawberry?
I made camp reservations there thru Recreation.gov

I would not leave the boat in the water overnight.  Campsites were full but they do have a first come first serve loop and its usually not that full.  The camp hosts are not the friendliest but it's a good campground.  the boat ramp was not dry when we went.  we went all three routes to the lake and they all were nice and not to washboard.
(07-24-2023, 04:43 PM)big_griggs Wrote:

I would not leave the boat in the water overnight.  Campsites were full but they do have a first come first serve loop and its usually not that full.  The camp hosts are not the friendliest but it's a good campground.  the boat ramp was not dry when we went.  we went all three routes to the lake and they all were nice and not to washboard.

Thanks for the insight.
(07-24-2023, 04:43 PM)big_griggs Wrote:

Any issues with the leaches while swimming? We were going to go camping up there but I'm pretty sure if my daughter saw a leach she wouldn't go in the water again.