Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow day at Utah Lake
I almost forgot to post this trip, so this is a quick one. Jon and I launched out of the state park last Saturday about 6:30 A.M. I wanted to go to the west side but the wind was a bit higher than I wanted. Instead we headed over by the new delta inlet looking for WB and a possible northern. They were all at a convention or just laughing at us, we go nary a sniff in almost 2 hours.

Headed out to 10 FOW and trolled flicker shad and spin n glos for 30 minutes and got 3 whites for bait. Next headed over by the airport and strolled the reed edges in 4 FOW. Three 24-26 inch cats was all we got in 90 minutes so headed out deeper. Nothing going out there. Next stop was the lighthouse. Picked up another WB on a crank while we watched the 4 boats anchored near the rocks. They were catching a few, but no better than we had done by the airport.

The evidence said stay shallow so we pulled the boat into the reeds in 3 FOW. Next 2 hours yielded for nicer cats, 27-28.5". It was time to go so we left them and went home. 

All the nicer cats still had bulging bellies so the spawn is still going strong. We probably should have just gone int othe reeds and stayed all morning. We did get a couple of fish to post for the contests and the company and weather turned out great so it was a good morning.

[Image: Channel-Cat-27.jpg]

[Image: Channel-Cat-28-inches.jpg]

[Image: Channel-Cat-28-5-inches.jpg]

[Image: White-Bass-11.jpg]

[Image: White-Bass-11-inches.jpg]
Some good looking cats. I dont think I have heard of a pike this year but I am sure a few have been caught
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-07-2023, 04:21 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Some good looking cats. I dont think I have heard of a pike this year but I am sure a few have been caught

Thanks! I heard of one in April I think, but it was in the old river channel. Mostly just goofing off while we looked for bait.
Was down to Utah Lake Tuesday morning of the 4th. West side by Pelican Bay only got 2 in 3 hours. Fished with shrimp and the wind changed directions 4 times. Alot of people there, they closed the lot about 10,00 oclock one out one in 3 boats waiting when we left.
(07-07-2023, 10:21 PM)catdaddygar Wrote: Was down to Utah Lake Tuesday morning of the 4th. West side by Pelican Bay only got 2 in 3 hours.  Fished with shrimp and the wind changed directions 4 times. Alot of people there, they closed the lot about 10,00 oclock one out one in 3 boats waiting when we left.

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you found some. Sounds like it was slow all over. Still fun though!