Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Boat Dip Tank Decontamination sites
LINK TO DWR NOTICE

DWR just posted this notice on their main website.  Tells about the new dip tank at Utah Lake...and other sites pending.  Also elaborates on the new requirements for Invasive Species test and sticker fees, etc.
As always Pat, you are on top of things that we all need to know !! One thing the notice did not clarify was about those who registered their craft PRIOR to July 1. If I understand it correctly, they are exempt for this year and only have to have the online certificate for the online test ! I hope I have read that correctly !! Thanks again for your timely post !!
Wow before everyone figures this out, we will all be ticketed a few times. Big expense.
We already pay extra for our state boat sticker. Will this be dropped?
Every time we turn around the state or DWR comes up with new ways to ding us for a few more bucks.  Enough to make ya quit turning around.

Bad enough for boaters, but I still have to clarify whether or not my inflated hunkarubber is also subject to the new fees and stickers.  I suspect it is.  And the DMV still can't figure out how to properly squeeze their money out of us float tubers.  Last year my "automated" invoice billed me for a "personal watercraft"...a motorized jet ski.  Only after a lengthy "discussion" with one of our "snivel servants"...with pictures of my rig and copies of past registrations...was I able to get my assessment reduced from totally ridiculous to only mildly insane.  As a float tuber I have to pay the equivalent of about 25 to 30% of the value of my trolling motor every year...just to float on our pristine waters.  If boaters had to pay an equivalent percentage...for some of those megahorsepower engines on their craft...there would be a revolting revolt.

But, then again, we keep getting so much more value and service every year from those who charge us that we should be properly grateful.  Gotta wonder if the folks who run DMV and the DWR are in cahoots with those who operate Pineview and Strawberry. 

CRASH!  Just fell off my soapbox.  What the hell is a soapbox, anyway?  I should be old enough to remember.  But then again, I am old enough to forget...a lot.
If you follow the link to the DNR website and then the link to the Vessel enrolment program, there is a note at the bottom.
If you have registered your motorized vessel with the Utah DMV from 01/01/2023 through 06/30/2023 you do not have to complete this AIS registration or display the 2023 AIS sticker on your boat. However, you will need to do so for each calendar year beginning in 2024.
Ok, so my boat registration comes due in October. I have my online mussels cert for this year. I hope I am legal until then. So if I do the online certification again in October, it will only be good until the end of this year, and then have to pay all over again for 2024?
These changes always come with questions. My registration came in April so I don’t need to register for the AIS in 2023. But do I just wait until April next year when I register with DMV or do I need to register AIS at the first of the year.
I have some thoughts on the new AIS requirements and have attached a PDF file discussing them.  My interpretation could be wrong.   Big Grin

.pdf   AIS Law.pdf (Size: 149.29 KB / Downloads: 21)
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I'm glad that they will be issuing a sticker to be attached to my boat. On a couple occasions, I have forgotten to put my certificate on my dash, and I was fortunate to just receive a warning (no ticket).
(07-09-2023, 02:25 PM)Kent Wrote: I'm glad that they will be issuing a sticker to be attached to my boat.  On a couple occasions, I have forgotten to put my certificate on my dash, and I was fortunate to just receive a warning (no ticket).

Kent,
Even though you get a sticker for your boat you still need to leave the paper certificate on your dash.
Dumb, dumb, dumb law.
You had to PASS test to GET the sticker!!
If someone at the State could just use common sense to issue two stickers, one for your boat and one for your trailer, it would make so much more sense.
Or, just simply make it law to have one sticker on boat and be fined by LEO if that sticker is not there!
Now let’s talk about something that makes more sense:
Since “If it floats, it’s a boat” and said boat has a motor on it not only did we pay registration fees but also AIS fees.
I say that if you are launching a currently registered boat and it has current AIS stickers on it, then there will be no fee for launch.
If a boat is not registered than user of that craft must pay a fee to launch.
So, what is more important? Having a $20 decal which should be serialized for the boat that says you are compliant? Or a certificate on your dash? The dash certificate if not displayed is double jeopardy to collect another fee. Since the plan is to push for the test still, DWR can provide an additional sticker for windshield, after all a waist of gov't money is in their DNA by mailing a decal is a spent. My opinion is having DMV collect the fee whether its $10 or $20 was good enough for registration compliant utilizing the boat registration decal, we are stuck with the online AIS test regardless. BTW, I pay an additional $25 in addition for vehicle registration for a personalized license plate in support of Utah Wildlife. But now, there was probable conflict within state gov't agencies who would collect fees. DMV saw the potential of what they could use the fees for and had a probable issue signing over that fund. DWR needs those funds to provide service & equipment in the combat of AIS, why do I feel this is a statement of stupidity. Huh NO HONOR AMONGST THIEVES!!!
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
while i have no problem paying fees and doing my part to help stop the spread of invasives
this idea that a sup or non motorized vessel carries the same risk and shoulder the same burden as a large, motorized vessel is quite laughable
and not supported by anyone at the DNR or boat check stations ive talked too
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom