Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry boat ramp question
What are the limitations on sizes of boats that can be launched from the new Chicken Creek East boat ramp?
(06-27-2023, 10:43 PM)Kent Wrote: What are the limitations on sizes of boats that can be launched from the new Chicken Creek East boat ramp?

Kent, I googled it a week ago and it sounded like human powered craft only was the intention.
If you find out differently please correct me.
I didn't see any signs when I launched my 17' Crestliner there but there is no dock so it's a little tricky getting aboard from the ramp/beach. Larger boats would have a hard time there so I think the no dock situation will keep most bigger boats away.
(06-28-2023, 02:34 AM)MrShane Wrote:
(06-27-2023, 10:43 PM)Kent Wrote: What are the limitations on sizes of boats that can be launched from the new Chicken Creek East boat ramp?

Kent, I googled it a week ago and it sounded like human powered craft only was the intention.
If you find out differently please correct me.

I had heard that there was no dock, so I just went to Strawberry Marina.
How do you pay the fee there? I stopped by awhile back and did not see an envelope box
(06-29-2023, 02:34 AM)Lundude Wrote: How do you pay the fee there? I stopped by awhile back and did not see an envelope box

There is no fee for the new ramp.
Until that Greedy McAvarice company finds a way to charge one, that is. If they demand $20 to launch a kayak at Pineview, they WILL find a way.
(06-29-2023, 09:52 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Until that Greedy McAvarice company finds a way to charge one, that is. If they demand $20 to launch a kayak at Pineview, they WILL find a way.

The forest service already made a statement last year that they would change a fee at some point. I think right now they don't have enough employees to patrol every area they have added in recent years. I think they will add another spot or two like that before they start charging, that way you will have no option but to pay or not fish. I think the plan is to put a pay station at every pull over spot around the lake, at that point you will not have any choice when they start charging to park.
(06-29-2023, 11:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 09:52 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Until that Greedy McAvarice company finds a way to charge one, that is. If they demand $20 to launch a kayak at Pineview, they WILL find a way.

The forest service already made a statement last year that they would change a fee at some point. I think right now they don't have enough employees to patrol every area they have added in recent years. I think they will add another spot or two like that before they start charging, that way you will have no option but to pay or not fish. I think the plan is to put a pay station at every pull over spot around the lake, at that point you will not have any choice when they start charging to park.

I've had some real problems at Strawberry with the management company that charges fees to launch, camp or even drive in to certain areas at Strawberry. They do not own the land or improvements nor did they install them but they bully and intimidate users even in areas that are no fee areas. This is straight from the Forest Service Website for Haws Point Picnic Area:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/re...4&actid=70

Haws Point Picnic Area

This is an open-setting, non-fee picnic area, which has single picnic sites. Popular local activities include lake fishing.

At a Glance
No Fee Area.

Even though this is a no fee area as per the Forest Service, I was hassled by the management company who came there and started yelling at families who were parked there fishing, crawdadding and just enjoying their day. Ranger dipshiz, the employee of American Land and Leisure showed up and started yelling at people to pay a $10 parking fee. He even came down to the beach and started yelling " who owns the white Ford" etc. Then he left envelopes with threats of a lawsuit if we didn't pay. I was there with my family and couldn't believe that they were trying to collect fees in a no fee area. Anyway, until the forest service puts up notice that it is now a fee area, I am not paying any fees at Chicken Creek or Haws Point or any other no fee area no matter what Mr. Golf Cart says.
(06-30-2023, 09:03 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 11:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I've had some real problems at Strawberry with the management company that charges charge fees to launch, camp or even drive in to certain areas at Strawberry. They do not own the land or improvements nor did they install them but they bully and intimidate users even in areas that are no fee areas. This is straight from the Forest Service Website for Haws Point Picnic Area:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcnf/re...4&actid=70

Haws Point Picnic Area

This is an open-setting, non-fee picnic area, which has single picnic sites. Popular local activities include lake fishing.

At a Glance
No Fee Area.

Even though this is a no fee area as per the Forest Service, I was hassled by the management company who came there and started yelling at families who were parked there fishing, crawdadding and just enjoying there day. Ranger dipshiz, the employee of American Land and Leisure showed up and started yelling at people to pay a $10 parking fee. He even came down to the beach and started yelling " who owns the white Ford" etc. Then he left envelopes with threats of a lawsuit if we didn't pay. I was there with my family and couldn't believe that they were trying to collect fees in a no fee area. Anyway, until the forest service puts up notice that it is now a fee area, I am not paying any fees at Chicken Creek or Haws Point or any other no fee area no matter what Mr. Golf Cart says.

I agree, there is no reason you should have to pay until they put up a sign saying you must pay. All I was saying is that at some time in future, they will make you pay to fish but who knows when that will be.
Well I went to that new ramp today, it is most definitely a fee area now. There is a box for the fee envelope and another one full of fresh envelopes. There are also 3 red signs saying it is a few area. The bad thing is that I forgot the check book and my wallet has zero money in it. So,,,,,,, I decided it was best to just return home and get the check book. So I didn't get on the water until 8am.
(07-06-2023, 07:54 PM)Lundude Wrote: Well I went to that new ramp today, it is most definitely a fee area now. There is a box for the fee envelope and another one full of fresh envelopes. There are also 3 red signs saying it is a few area. The bad thing is that I forgot the check book and my wallet has zero money in it. So,,,,,,, I decided it was best to just return home and get the check book. So I didn't get on the water until 8am.

What is the fee amount?
(07-06-2023, 07:54 PM)Lundude Wrote: Well I went to that new ramp today, it is most definitely a fee area now. There is a box for the fee envelope and another one full of fresh envelopes. There are also 3 red signs saying it is a few area. The bad thing is that I forgot the check book and my wallet has zero money in it. So,,,,,,, I decided it was best to just return home and get the check book. So I didn't get on the water until 8am.

That a bummer they put it up so quick, I know I saw a pay station at Mud creek last year and I heard there was one at Haws point, I wonder if there is one at the ladders yet Undecided

How was the fishing, any kokes?
No on the kokes. I caught 12 cutt/rainbow. 11 of them were smaller than uintah fish. Pretty pathetic for strawberry.

(07-06-2023, 08:06 PM)talyn Wrote:

What is the fee amount?

I think it said $10 but not positive, I was so irritated at myself for forgetting money to launch. I guess I thought it was going to be free, so that's my story
(07-06-2023, 09:11 PM)Lundude Wrote: No on the kokes. I caught 12 cutt/rainbow. 11 of them were smaller than uintah fish. Pretty pathetic for strawberry.

What is the fee amount?

I think it said $10 but not positive, I was so irritated at myself for forgetting money to launch. I guess I thought it was going to be free, so that's my story

Did you have any problems launching at the new ramp?
(07-06-2023, 09:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-06-2023, 09:11 PM)Lundude Wrote: No on the kokes. I caught 12 cutt/rainbow. 11 of them were smaller than uintah fish. Pretty pathetic for strawberry.

What is the fee amount?

Did you have any problems launching at the new ramp?

Being that I live in fruitland, after getting the check book, I just went to soldier creek marina rather than going farther down the road to chicken creek, because I was by myself and launching without a dock sucks. Only went to the new ramp because I was under the impression it was going to be free.
Again, when are we going to mount a campaign to take the management of both Pineview and Strawberry/Soldier Creek away from the Forest Service and put them under State control ! I refuse to go to either location due to the unreasonable fees and the poor service's provided. I have written my Congressman every year and both our Senators, but so far no action on their parts. Until the public gets on board and demands that the State take over, nothing will happen. Everyone needs to write our congressional reps and Senators to DEMAND that the State be given control over these two waters. They are mismanaged and should be under State control anyway !! GET ON BOARD FOLKS!!