Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Island 7/9/23
Don, Randy and I teamed up on Bird Island on Friday.  Had the place entirely to ourselves, until a boat showed up for a brief time around noon.  The catching was steady (we caught at least 75).  We were a little disappointed that we didn't get any big ones (Randy caught the largest at 29"), but the quantity made up for it.  Only frustration with fishing Bird Island is that one snags up and breaks off several times.  Almost impossible to know where a rock is sticking up from the bottom (with the higher water, the ugly rocks are all underwater).  Good to see that much water in Utah Lake though.
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing! Julie and I went out on Saturday but had some boat problems and stayed close to the harbor at Provo. We go 4 asn a carp. The largest cat was also 29". We had some quality, but the quantity was really lacking. Not bad for no gas motor though Smile.
(07-09-2023, 06:02 PM)Kent Wrote: Don, Randy and I teamed up on Bird Island on Friday.  Had the place entirely to ourselves, until a boat showed up for a brief time around noon.  The catching was steady (we caught at least 75).  We were a little disappointed that we didn't get any big ones (Randy caught the largest at 29"), but the quantity made up for it.  Only frustration with fishing Bird Island is that one snags up and breaks off several times.  Almost impossible to know where a rock is sticking up from the bottom (with the higher water, the ugly rocks are all underwater).  Good to see that much water in Utah Lake though.

Kent! The boat and crew that interrupted your day was me taking the g-grand kids out for a ride. I thought it would be interesting for them to see the birds. How deep of water were you fishing

Richard J
(07-09-2023, 09:42 PM)Mr. J Wrote:
(07-09-2023, 06:02 PM)Kent Wrote: Don, Randy and I teamed up on Bird Island on Friday.  Had the place entirely to ourselves, until a boat showed up for a brief time around noon.  The catching was steady (we caught at least 75).  We were a little disappointed that we didn't get any big ones (Randy caught the largest at 29"), but the quantity made up for it.  Only frustration with fishing Bird Island is that one snags up and breaks off several times.  Almost impossible to know where a rock is sticking up from the bottom (with the higher water, the ugly rocks are all underwater).  Good to see that much water in Utah Lake though.

Kent! The boat and crew that interrupted your day was me taking the g-grand kids out for a ride. I thought it would be interesting for them to see the birds. How deep of water were you fishing

Richard J

We were anchored up in 6' of water.  It is anyone's guess how deep of water we were actually fishing.  I saw a couple of your g-kids wade up to and onto the island.  I have gotten on the island before and it is definitely covered in bird poop.