Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brookies
We spent the 4th Holiday up on the Wyoming side of the Uinta's - Meeks Cabin area - for a family reunion. I was able to sneak away a couple times to test my fly rod skills on the Black's Fork (both Wyoming and Utah) . Hit all three (East, Middle, West). Still very high water run off situation. Most of my normal holes were raging but I applied time tested methods my dad taught me to find the seams and edges that create a slower hole that the Brookies could rest and wait for food to swing by. It was a lot harder fly fishing than I normally expect in this area. To high and fast for me to do much wading so I was limited to my side of the creek but with the help of my Fish Finder (the Wookie) we managed to have a great time catching Jaws Jr. I do so love those little buggers when they come crashing out like a tuna after a fly. You really need to get up there for no other reason than the amazing wild flower year the water has brought on.

I used mostly locater flies as not much in the way of a hatch (elk hair caddis, renegade, woolly bugger, and such ) Flies I could fish wet or dry worked the best. Most of my takes were wet 1-5 inches under but plenty on the surface too. I did not use nymphs as I did not have my strike indicators with me, but I am sure they would have got action.

Bugs were tolerable. 

Cookie was busy with family so just me and the Wookie enjoying "boy" time

Video as proof Smile

https://youtu.be/2H2b0EBXu0g

Video Feedback request. I noticed when I watched the final version on YouTube it looks grainy. It is shot in HD and should look, well, amazing, except for the old guy that keeps showing up. It does on my editing final result.

I am trying to trouble shoot to see if it is just our bad internet quality here of if I have a rendering issue. Going to watch a few older ones and see if the same issue exists. If you happen to watch a few minutes of it would you let me know if it is crystal clear and sharp or grainy.

Txs
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-10-2023, 01:50 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: We spent the 4th Holiday up on the Wyoming side of the Uinta's - Meeks Cabin area - for a family reunion. I was able to sneak away a couple times to test my fly rod skills on the Black's Fork (both Wyoming and Utah) . Hit all three (East, Middle, West). Still very high water run off situation. Most of my normal holes were raging but I applied time tested methods my dad taught me to find the seams and edges that create a slower hole that the Brookies could rest and wait for food to swing by. It was a lot harder fly fishing than I normally expect in this area. To high and fast for me to do much wading so I was limited to my side of the creek but with the help of my Fish Finder (the Wookie) we managed to have a great time catching Jaws Jr. I do so love those little buggers when they come crashing out like a tuna after a fly. You really need to get up there for no other reason than the amazing wild flower year the water has brought on.

I used mostly locater flies as not much in the way of a hatch (elk hair caddis, renegade, woolly bugger, and such ) Flies I could fish wet or dry worked the best. Most of my takes were wet 1-5 inches under but plenty on the surface too. I did not use nymphs as I did not have my strike indicators with me, but I am sure they would have got action.

Bugs were tolerable. 

Video as proof Smile

Video Feedback request. I noticed when I watched the final version on YouTube it looks grainy. It is shot in HD and should look, well, amazing, except for the old guy that keeps showing up. It does on my editing final result.

I am trying to trouble shoot to see if it is just our bad internet quality here of if I have a rendering issue.  Going to watch a few older ones and see if the same issue exists. If you happen to watch a few minutes of it would you let me know if it is crystal clear and sharp or grainy.

Txs

I did not notice any issues Lance, looked as good as all your videos. Those little brookies were more than willing, you were lucky to have the Wookie there to point them out for you, lol.  It has been many years since I was up at Meeks Cabin, were you fishing above the lake or below it?
Nice video. No issues noted
(07-10-2023, 01:27 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-10-2023, 01:50 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: We spent the 4th Holiday up on the Wyoming side of the Uinta's - Meeks Cabin area - for a family reunion. I was able to sneak away a couple times to test my fly rod skills on the Black's Fork (both Wyoming and Utah) . Hit all three (East, Middle, West). Still very high water run off situation. Most of my normal holes were raging but I applied time tested methods my dad taught me to find the seams and edges that create a slower hole that the Brookies could rest and wait for food to swing by. It was a lot harder fly fishing than I normally expect in this area. To high and fast for me to do much wading so I was limited to my side of the creek but with the help of my Fish Finder (the Wookie) we managed to have a great time catching Jaws Jr. I do so love those little buggers when they come crashing out like a tuna after a fly. You really need to get up there for no other reason than the amazing wild flower year the water has brought on.

Bugs were tolerable. 

Video as proof Smile

I am trying to trouble shoot to see if it is just our bad internet quality here of if I have a rendering issue.  Going to watch a few older ones and see if the same issue exists. If you happen to watch a few minutes of it would you let me know if it is crystal clear and sharp or grainy.

Txs

I did not notice any issues Lance, looked as good as all your videos. Those little brookies were more than willing, you were lucky to have the Wookie there to point them out for you, lol.  It has been many years since I was up at Meeks Cabin, were you fishing above the lake or below it?

Both. Fished around the youth camp but that had the history flow. Still coming over the spillway. And above on all three forks. Lots of brookies in each of them
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew

Bugs were tolerable. 

Video as proof Smile

Txs

Video looked good to me, nice Brookies.