Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bullfrogs in Davis/Weber County?
Hello, recently the DWR had an article about catching bullfrogs in Utah.
I want to take a group of boys out and try and catch some.
Does anyone know where in Davis/Weber county we might find some?
Any techniques on catching them?
Thanks in advance for any information you may have.
(07-10-2023, 03:49 AM)RBL Wrote: Hello, recently the DWR had an article about catching bullfrogs in Utah.
I want to take a group of boys out and try and catch some.
Does anyone know where in Davis/Weber county we might find some?
Any techniques on catching them?
Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

I don’t know any locations, but I’d have to assume they’d be in any shallow pond or irrigation ditch with lots of cattails and reeds. Now, I do have some experience catching them. There are tons of ways to catch them, but it is easiest at night. A powerful headlamp or spotlight is a must. Their eyes light up like glow in the dark marbles, so they are pretty easy to see. When you find one you can do a few things to catch it. You can net them, spear them, grab them by hand, or my favorite way is to snag them with a fly rod or long stick. What I will do is tie about 6-7 feet of line to the end of a rod and put on a grasshopper fly, small crappie jig, or whatever small lure you have. Dangle it right in front of them and they won’t be able to resist the urge to eat it. Once hooked, throw it in a bucket with a lid and get ready for some extremely good frog legs. Let me know if you need some cleaning and cooking tips!
I have got them at Mantua herd there are some in the pond south of Weber basin water in Layton. I also herd oa few in the south Marina at Willard bay last week and also in the lower Weber river
Thank you guys for the info.
By the pond south of weber basin water do you mean Hobbs reservoir?
Yes I couldn't think of it's name
Thanks much!
I live in Davis County and frequent a lot of the community fisheries. I haven't found one that has an abundance of bullfrogs, but there seem to be a few at most of them. I hear them far more than I see them. Could always remove a few red-eared sliders out of those places too. I see plenty of them.
I'll have ro check closer at the ponds. I go to jensen a lot and have seen the red ears but never noticed frogs. Also saw a huge goldfish last time I was there.
Check with DWR! I would think that the Great Salt Lake marshes would be a prime spot also!