Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grand Daughter's first Catfish !!
Took my granddaughter fishing on Monday evening.  Launched out of Pelican Bay and let the Southwest wind drift us up the west bank.  We were using Santee rigs baited w/WB.  She was very anxious, wanting to check the rods as they bounced along the bottom.  I told her that when we would get a bite, the reel would go BZZZZZ as the fish would pull line off !  About 8:30, line began peeling off one of the rods.  She set the hook and it was on.  The rods we were using were to light and she had a difficult time bringing the fish in.  I had also for got the net ( took every thing out of the boat because I am selling it) and the Boca, but it was hooked really good and I was able to lift it in the boat.  Went 7.5lbs on the scale, no length measurement
[Image: IMG-8563.jpg]

( board was also out of the boat),  but we managed, got some good pics and a huge Smile from her !!  

Hopefully we'll get her out some more before she goes back to school at Southern Utah U.  Lots of fun !!!
Sounds like you did it right, congrats on getting her on a great fish... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Excellent.  Lovely granddaughter.  The fish...not so much.  I'm sure she racked up a new remembery that will stay with her for life.  I took each of my 3 kids fishing as often as possible and whenever we get together in later years it is a nonstop recounting of the travels and fishing trips we enjoyed together.

What excuse(s) do you have for failing to take all the vital stuff...like nets, measuring boards, etc?  Can't just be your age.  I am older than you and I NEVER leave anything behind.  At least I don't think I do.  I can't remember.
Pat! I purchased a 22 ft Pontoon to replace the Big Red Skeeter ! It is almost impossible to get in and out of the BRS these days, so I got something easier to get in and out of. Unfortunately, I don't have it up and running yet, have to modify the front, move the Trolling mtr, remove a couple of corner seats, rewire a few things, etc and I don;t move to well, so it takes time. She wanted to go, so we took the BRS which I had stripped down to sell and a few things got left behind !! Nest time, we'll have the heavier rods, the net, the boca, etc !! Like you say, I don't think I leave things behind !!

PS: Getting ready to trailer home, I fell out of the boat in the parking lot !! reinforced the purchase of the toon !!
(07-12-2023, 11:05 PM)Therapist Wrote: Pat!  I purchased a 22 ft Pontoon to replace the Big Red Skeeter !  It is almost impossible to get in and out of the BRS these days, so I got something easier to get in and out of.  Unfortunately,  I don't have it up and running yet, have to modify the front, move the Trolling mtr, remove a couple of corner seats, rewire a few things, etc and I don;t move to well, so it takes time.  She wanted to go, so we took the BRS which I had stripped down to sell and a few things got left behind !!  Nest time,  we'll have the heavier rods, the net, the boca, etc !!  Like you say, I don't think I leave things behind !!

PS:  Getting ready to trailer home,  I fell out of the boat in the parking lot !!  reinforced the purchase of the toon !!
Congrats on the pontoon.  I'm sure you will enjoy the wider and more stable fishing platform...as will your family.   It will be a bit more difficult to get it up on plane though. 

Hope you didn't injure more than your dignity with the fall.  Kinda scary at our age.  At least I ain't fallen out of my float tube...yet.