Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poppin bass on the fly rod
The dragonflies were out in force, skimming the waters surface and occasionally just barely disturbing it. Most of them would land on surface vegetation or on a protruding reed. 
This is a dangerous dance when largemouth bass are below. 
Bass would explode on them. It was amazing to see how high they would launch for a chance at dragonfly snack. Or how accurately they would time a breach on a dragon fly cruising at full speed. 
Beautiful to witness. 
I grabbed the fly rod tied on 0x leader and some ten lb flouro for tippet and put on a black and blue popper with a head about the size of a quarter. 

[Image: IMG-8017.jpg]

[Image: IMG-8019.jpg]
I’ve fly fished for trout in quiet streams, I doubt I will any more. 

A Short, hard, strip cadence results in a loud Bloop! Bloop! Bloop! Then the water explodes.
I could actually see some of them coming and watching the popper fly before it would trigger them and they unloaded on it. 
The best part was thes fish were hitting that popper with extreme prejudice, hookups were fast and hooked well. All I had to do was enjoy the fight on the fly rod and grab for the pliers once I got them on the pontoon.
This was some of the most exciting fishing I have got to experience.
Looks like great fun.!! I've tried for wipers but not yet successful .
Now that sounds like fun. Did you tie into any hogs?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Not this time, but that was ok. Caught a number of 2-3 lb bass. Just a good time.
Excellent! Largies on top are a trip!
(07-16-2023, 11:16 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Now that sounds like fun. Did you tie into any hogs?

Looks like he was probably at Sand Hollow, and this time of year big bass can't tolerate the heat of the shallows. You'll catch all the 2 pounders you want though, which is super fun on a fly rod! You'll also come across some big gills that will hit the poppers as well...super fun. We've been getting the bigger girls in the 3-5lb class out in about 30-40' of water chasing big gill schools.
Way to be! I was out there 7/7 and saw the same thing, cool to witness! We didn't have any flies or small poppers, but we still caught a decent amount on frogs. They definitely preferred dragonflies though.