Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porky
Lightbulb 
Packed up and headed for the pig at first light. Made it to paradise and told the wife that I forgot to grab her net but that it should be fine. After a few hours i used my downrigger as an achor and set up a couple of dead sticks. Had a few marks come up and look and finally had something hit. Fought him for about five minutes. I'd get him to the surface and he'd rip drag all the way back down to the bottom. Finally got him to the side of my kayak. Grabbed his gill plate with one hand and set the rod down to remove my hook. He thrashed and not wanting to hurt the fish I loosened my grip and he slipped away and darted for the bottom. Line got caught on the pole while i tried to pick it back up and he broke me off. He was 30-36" long and every ounce of ten pounds if not more.

Still no koke schools. Talked with another boater and he said they caught one fish in five hours.
(07-16-2023, 07:38 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Packed up and headed for the pig at first light. Made it to paradise and told the wife that I forgot to grab her net but that it should be fine. After a few hours i used my downrigger as an achor and set up a couple of dead sticks. Had a few marks come up and look and finally had something hit. Fought him for about five minutes. I'd get him to the surface and he'd rip drag all the way back down to the bottom. Finally got him to the side of my kayak. Grabbed his gill plate with one hand and set the rod down to remove my hook. He thrashed and not wanting to hurt the fish I loosened my grip and he slipped away and darted for the bottom. Line got caught on the pole while i tried to pick it back up and he broke me off. He was 30-36" long and every ounce of ten pounds if not more.

Still no koke schools. Talked with another boater and he said they caught one fish in five hours.

Too bad the kokes don't want to play lately but way to go on the big fish, was it a brown?
Ya it was a brown. Really wish I could have got it in the boat
(07-16-2023, 11:06 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Ya it was a brown. Really wish I could have got it in the boat
That's a great brown for the Pig, I've seen a few nice brown come out of there but a 30 inch plus brown is a great one for sure.
Nice DJ, a pic would be great but at least you got to see it and had a good fight
(07-16-2023, 11:40 PM)2knots Wrote: Nice DJ, a pic would be great but at least you got to see it and had a good fight

I wish I could have gotten a pic too but when it came down to trying to wear him out some more on the rod or tighten my grip and risk injuring the fish I'm glad I opted to loosen my grip. The wife was actually right next to me and was about to start recording when I lost him

(07-16-2023, 11:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-16-2023, 11:06 PM)DjHill16 Wrote: Ya it was a brown. Really wish I could have got it in the boat
That's a great brown for the Pig, I've seen a few nice brown come out of there but a 30 inch plus brown is a great one for sure.

It is I was beginning to worry the big ones hadn't made it the last few years so it's good to know at least one is still swimming around in there
Great fish, way to go.... I'll bet that was fun... Congrats... Jeff
Ps.. couple years ago I caught a koke up there that had a great big bite mark on it's side... now i know there might be fish big enough to make such marks..
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(07-17-2023, 04:59 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great fish, way to go.... I'll bet that was fun... Congrats... Jeff 
Ps.. couple years ago I caught a koke up there that had a great big bite mark on it's side... now i know there might be fish big enough to make such marks..

I was trolling with koke gear one day and didn't notice that one had hit cause it hadn't pulled out of the downrigger clip. All of a sudden my rod doubled over and I thought I was gonna lose it. Reeled everything in and had a koke head on my hook and nothing else.