Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Cover Help
My 20 year old Lund cover needs some work. Anyone have a good boat cover maker recommendation in the SLC area? Much appreciated.
Sunrise on the water
(07-19-2023, 02:43 PM)WET1 Wrote: My 20 year old Lund cover needs some work. Anyone have a good boat cover maker recommendation in the SLC area? Much appreciated.

We have had really good luck with Brians Canvas in clearfield. Had them build and repair several boat cover, built full enlosures, etc.
(07-19-2023, 03:07 PM)WalleyeAl Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 02:43 PM)WET1 Wrote: My 20 year old Lund cover needs some work. Anyone have a good boat cover maker recommendation in the SLC area? Much appreciated.

We have had really good luck with Brians Canvas in clearfield. Had them build and repair several boat cover, built full enlosures, etc.

I have had two boat covers made by Brians Canvas.  The first one worked out OK (lasted 5 years) and the second one has been a disappointment (I will be replacing it this fall after only two years.).  They made the second cover too large and the flapping in the wind has destroyed it earlier than it should have.
Try these guys, haven't used them myself.  But I have a couple buddies that have been happy with them.

https://sugarhouse.us/
Todd,

Brians is a crap shoot.  The quality comes and goes.  Sugarhouse is the better choice for a quality build every time.  But you will have to pay more for that quality.  Brians is in Clearfield and Sugarhouse is in SLC.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have used Sewlong in SLC once, very good quality workmanship. I would definately go back. 
[Image: IMG-3074.png]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I've been using Brian's in Freeport Center, Clearfield for over 10 years. Have had 2 travel covers made (custom) and an additional sun shade for the front of the boat (for when the wife is with me)  Have also had several tote bags and an A/C unit cover made. Never had a single complaint.

[Image: 0101.jpg]

[Image: 025-new-top-without-side-curtains.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(07-19-2023, 09:39 PM)dubob Wrote: Todd,

Brians is a crap shoot.  The quality comes and goes.  Sugarhouse is the better choice for a quality build every time.  But you will have to pay more for that quality.  Brians is in Clearfield and Sugarhouse is in SLC.

Thanks Bob, great info.

Thank you

(07-19-2023, 04:34 PM)Kent Wrote:

I have had two boat covers made by Brians Canvas.  The first one worked out OK (lasted 5 years) and the second one has been a disappointment (I will be replacing it this fall after only two years.).  They made the second cover too large and the flapping in the wind has destroyed it earlier than it should have.
Thanks Kent

(07-19-2023, 07:20 PM)Coho975 Wrote: Try these guys, haven't used them myself.  But I have a couple buddies that have been happy with them.

https://sugarhouse.us/

Thank you
Sunrise on the water
(07-20-2023, 03:55 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: I've been using Brian's in Freeport Center, Clearfield for over 10 years. Have had 2 travel covers made (custom) and an additional sun shade for the front of the boat (for when the wife is with me)  Have also had several tote bags and an A/C unit cover made. Never had a single complaint.

[Image: 0101.jpg]

[Image: 025-new-top-without-side-curtains.jpg]
It's great that you are pleased with the work Brians did for you.  I have three friends that had Brians do some bimini top work on an 18 ft Tracker, a 21 ft Hewes Craft, and a 21 ft Ranger.  All said afterwards they wished they had gone to Sugerhouse.  As I said, based on what I see posted here and my friends experiences, Brians can be hit or miss.  But they ARE less expensive than Sugerhouse Awning.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
My buddy and I have had many covers and other boat related items made at Cohen canvas in SLC
Small shop and can be busy but good work at very fair pricing.
Talk to Lisa

(801) 359-1291
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I had this company build me a cover out of sumbrella. I sold the boat 12 years later and it was still in great shape. It was a snap fastened cover on a 1650 Crestliner. It was very reasonably priced. When my new boats cover needs to be replaced, I’ll use them again.
[Image: CDCCDEA9-3-F8-C-459-C-95-DC-EAC13-EB69-AB3.png]
(07-21-2023, 04:09 AM)MACMAN Wrote: I had this company build me a cover out of sumbrella. I sold the boat 12 years later and it was still in great shape. It was a snap fastened cover on a 1650 Crestliner. It was very reasonably priced. When my new boats cover needs to be replaced, I’ll use them again.

I was told that boat covers, made out of Sunbrella, needed to be stored indoors.  Were you able to store this boat indoors?
Kent,
I've never heard that you have to store sunbrella indoors. The name implies it is made for outdoor sun and won't deteriorate. I had sunbrella material and two work boats and both were outside the majority of the year with no noticeable issues with either cover.
As far as the original post goes, I've used Sugarhouse and SewLong. Both are top notch places that do quality work. Sugarhouse is larger and they can crank stuff out faster than most other places. Both are pricey, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I like the material other than Sunbrella. I find Sunbrella material is on the thinner side. I like the waterproof material that is heavier duty, albiet it only comes in grey (or it used to?). Sunbrella comes in every color of the rainbow. The heavier duty material just seems to wear better though.
(07-21-2023, 10:43 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Kent,
I've never heard that you have to store sunbrella indoors.  The name implies it is made for outdoor sun and won't deteriorate.  I had sunbrella material and two work boats and both were outside the majority of the year with no noticeable issues with either cover. 
As far as the original post goes, I've used Sugarhouse and SewLong.  Both are top notch places that do quality work.  Sugarhouse is larger and they can crank stuff out faster than most other places.  Both are pricey, but you get what you pay for.  Personally, I like the material other than Sunbrella.  I find Sunbrella material is on the thinner side.  I like the waterproof material that is heavier duty, albiet it only comes in grey (or it used to?).  Sunbrella comes in every color of the rainbow.  The heavier duty material just seems to wear better though.

Less than a month ago, I called Sugarhouse Awning and inquired about having a snap-on cover made.  I explained that I stored my boat outdoors.  The person I spoke to said that snap-on covers could only be made out of Sunbrella and it would shed some rain but would not handle the weight of snow.
(07-21-2023, 01:30 PM)Kent Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 04:09 AM)MACMAN Wrote: I had this company build me a cover out of sumbrella. I sold the boat 12 years later and it was still in great shape. It was a snap fastened cover on a 1650 Crestliner. It was very reasonably priced. When my new boats cover needs to be replaced, I’ll use them again.

I was told that boat covers, made out of Sunbrella, needed to be stored indoors.  Were you able to store this boat indoors?
It was stored in a carport. So no snow load, but kind of exposed. If water pooled on it, it would slowly seep through. I’d think if you could support it so there wasn’t pooling spots, it would shed water. If I stored outdoors through the winter, I’d shrink wrap it. Pretty much with any cover.
(07-21-2023, 10:43 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Personally, I like the material other than Sunbrella.  I find Sunbrella material is on the thinner side.  I like the waterproof material that is heavier duty, albiet it only comes in grey (or it used to?).  Sunbrella comes in every color of the rainbow.  The heavier duty material just seems to wear better though.

I agree with Scott about the heavier material. When I bought the current boat I have, it came with a Bimini, side windows (plastic), and a see thru backdrop, good for cooler or cold temps when fishing made with Top Gun material. I had a travel cover specifically made from Top Gun constructed by Park-A-Way RV & Marine in Chubbuck, ID. My older boat had Sunbrella which I always kept garaged but the material did fade out after a couple years being exposed. 

This link provided is a business that has an abundant of different material and its uses. I really like this place, have ordered from them before.
Marine Canvas: Sunbrella, Top Gun, SeaMark, Sur Last (sailrite.com)

[Image: Starbrite-Waterproofing.jpg]
This is a good product for covers
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I did not understand that you were looking for snowload. If you must store your boat outdoors, then I would just use whatever canvas material cover you have and then go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap plastic tarp and grommet kit, and put the plastic cover over the canvas so it will shed the snow easier. I don't look at snowload as a failure of a particular material, but more of improper supporting it so snow and/water does not pool-up on it. As BDuck said. the TopGun material is what I have used for my current boat cover. It can be trailered with it and I have never had a problem even going 80mph in a 50mph "breeze" though Idaho and Oregon. I like the TopGun stuff since it is heavier than Sunbrella. I just could not remember the name of it until BDuck mentioned it. I'm fortunate enough to store my boat either under a carport or in a garage. You might consider one of those portable "carport covers" to store your boat under instead of spending big $$ on a super, heavy duty cover. Just a thought.
There is 2 Top Gun materials and I have both. My Bimini and surrounding enclosure is of Top Gun which is a reversable side use material. The Top Gun 1S is what my travel cover is which only one side is facing down toward boat. The application can still be used for Bimini, etc.
Harrisville UT
(07-22-2023, 08:53 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: I did not understand that you were looking for snowload.  If you must store your boat outdoors, then I would just use whatever canvas material cover you have and then go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap plastic tarp and grommet kit, and put the plastic cover over the canvas so it will shed the snow easier.  I don't look at snowload as a failure of a particular material, but more of improper supporting it so snow and/water does not pool-up on it.  As BDuck said. the TopGun material is what I have used for my current boat cover.  It can be trailered with it and I have never had a problem even going 80mph in a 50mph "breeze" though Idaho and Oregon.  I like the TopGun stuff since it is heavier than Sunbrella.  I just could not remember the name of it until BDuck mentioned it.  I'm fortunate enough to store my boat either under a carport or in a garage.  You might consider one of those portable "carport covers" to store your boat under instead of spending big $$ on a super, heavy duty cover.  Just a thought.

Snow load has not been an issue.  I sweep it off after every storm.   What has been a problem is having a cover not fit tightly and as a result it flops in the wind, while being trailered.  A cover that is flopping down the highway does not last very long.