Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humbled at Rockport
I hate posting these reports but it is part of the learning process. Cookie and I hit RP early this morning. Fished mid Lake on the east side in some of my favorite coves. Set up looked good. Lots of transition of mud flats to gravel and rocky structures. Stuff we love to fish. We only had an hour to fish as we needed to go help our youngest move but that should have been plenty of time to get a dinners worth of perch. Alas It was a complete skunk for both of us. Not even a smallmouth graced us with a tug. I tossed the deeper chirp sonar and really searched the coves - never seen hide nor hair of a critter longer than 2 inches. Depth between 5-28 ft were explored. Surface temps started at 71 and climbed to 74. Worked some flooded brush and not a wiggle. Did see a few bows pulled in from the boys towing cowbells. I guess we should have tossed out some powerbait but my pride would not let me. Got to remember tugs is tugs as our famous Tubedude would say. Of note, the shoreline shallow water had tons and tons of small minnows. Most i have ever seen at RP. Maybe the shear number of dinner choices had the critters being picky. Maybe the high water had them more towards the flooded inlet brush. Maybe the heat and front had them down deeper. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.... 

Maybe next time....
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-20-2023, 12:24 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I hate posting these reports but it is part of the learning process. Cookie and I hit RP early this morning. Fished mid Lake on the east side in some of my favorite coves. Set up looked good. Lots of transition of mud flats to gravel and rocky structures. Stuff we love to fish. We only had an hour to fish as we needed to go help our youngest move but that should have been plenty of time to get a dinners worth of perch. Alas It was a complete skunk for both of us. Not even a smallmouth graced us with a tug. I tossed the deeper chirp sonar and really searched the coves - never seen hide nor hair of a critter longer than 2 inches. Depth between 5-28 ft were explored. Surface temps started at 71 and climbed to 74. Worked some flooded brush and not a wiggle. Did see a few bows pulled in from the boys towing cowbells. I guess we should have tossed out some powerbait but my pride would not let me. Got to remember tugs is tugs as our famous Tubedude would say. Of note, the shoreline shallow water had tons and tons of small minnows. Most i have ever seen at RP. Maybe the shear number of dinner choices had the critters being picky. Maybe the high water had them more towards the flooded inlet brush. Maybe the heat and front had them down deeper. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.... 

Maybe next time....

At least you gave it a shot but one hour might not give you enough time to really tell how it would be if you stayed longer., IMO. Thanks for the report Lance and better luck next time.
(07-20-2023, 12:24 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I hate posting these reports but it is part of the learning process. Cookie and I hit RP early this morning. Fished mid Lake on the east side in some of my favorite coves. Set up looked good. Lots of transition of mud flats to gravel and rocky structures. Stuff we love to fish. We only had an hour to fish as we needed to go help our youngest move but that should have been plenty of time to get a dinners worth of perch. Alas It was a complete skunk for both of us. Not even a smallmouth graced us with a tug. I tossed the deeper chirp sonar and really searched the coves - never seen hide nor hair of a critter longer than 2 inches. Depth between 5-28 ft were explored. Surface temps started at 71 and climbed to 74. Worked some flooded brush and not a wiggle. Did see a few bows pulled in from the boys towing cowbells. I guess we should have tossed out some powerbait but my pride would not let me. Got to remember tugs is tugs as our famous Tubedude would say. Of note, the shoreline shallow water had tons and tons of small minnows. Most i have ever seen at RP. Maybe the shear number of dinner choices had the critters being picky. Maybe the high water had them more towards the flooded inlet brush. Maybe the heat and front had them down deeper. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.... 

Maybe next time....

Thanks for the report, too bad you couldn't find the fish. Well, I hope I am treated better at Rockport. I will be out there in the float tube this evening, looking for them tasty walleye cousins. I have an area I have scored them in the past, hopefully the perch will remember they like that area I have in mind. 
Gabe
(07-20-2023, 03:56 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

Maybe next time....

Thanks for the report, too bad you couldn't find the fish. Well, I hope I am treated better at Rockport. I will be out there in the float tube this evening, looking for them tasty walleye cousins. I have an area I have scored them in the past, hopefully the perch will remember they like that area I have in mind. 
Gabe

Hey Gabe and Curt. One hour was not enough for me to bow my head in shame. Gona wake Cookie up in the morning and try again. I better tell her? Smile Got a bit more time to test our trade this time. Now where.... I want go to the flooded areas but with the water temps up I might move to deeper sections. The game is afoot.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-20-2023, 09:07 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

Maybe next time....

Gabe

Hey Gabe and Curt. One hour was not enough for me to bow my head in shame. Gona wake Cookie up in the morning and try again. I better tell her? Smile Got a bit more time to test our trade this time. Now where.... I want go to the flooded areas but with the water temps up I might move to deeper sections. The game is afoot.
I found plenty of perch in the spot I tried yesterday. I was in water from 12 to 15 ft. A dozen under 9 inches, and 11 more from 10-12 inches in length. I wanted to find the weeds out in deeper water, but they aren't there yet. Caught them on a jig and a worm, also on a jig and small soft plastics. The water was a bit murky and like 73 degrees. I want to go out and get more.

Gabe
(07-21-2023, 10:36 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

Maybe next time....

Gabe

I found plenty of perch in the spot I tried yesterday. I was in water from 12 to 15 ft. A dozen under 9 inches, and 11 more from 10-12 inches in length. I wanted to find the weeds out in deeper water, but they aren't there yet. Caught them on a jig and a worm, also on a jig and small soft plastics. The water was a bit murky and like 73 degrees. I want to go out and get more.

Gabe
Ya we did much better today as well. Maybe that little front the day we went out had them ducking thier heads. Cookie will post a report later.

Maybe next time....

Gabe

Gabe

Great report Gabe, sounds like you did really good. How many hours were you fishing?
(07-22-2023, 12:12 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Maybe next time....

Gabe

Gabe

Great report Gabe, sounds like you did really good. How many hours were you fishing?

I was out for about two hours. It was fun.
Gabe