Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Perch and Bass
Made a return trip to Rockport with Cookie (Friday)  to see if we could redeem ourselves from the last trip. This day treated us much better. Maybe that storm from the last time had them hiding their heads. 

Anywho.... we fished our typical rocky to mud flat transitions. Picked up perch pretty steady in the early AM and as the perch bite slowed the Smallies obliged us by getting pretty active. Nothing really big. One perch about 11 inches and the rest were 7-9. The bass were typical RP Smallies. We kept a few for lunch and sent the others on their way with a stern talking to about chasing foam bugs on a string.

We fished our homemade pugly perch bugs tipped with a worm about six inches on a drop shot set up. Had to switch to Pats patented hanger shots as  the rocks were eating our drop shot sinkers like popcorn at a Marvel Movie. We caught most of the perch on the deadstick vs the active jigging rods. Seems letting them sit for a few minutes then just a very suttle twich got them worked up.

Water was 73 ish and we fished depths from about 2 ft to 22 ft.

I am very encouraged with the number of 2-5 inch smallies schooled up around the rock edges. Looks like a great crop of youngns coming up and so many bait fish that everything should be growing fast.

Link to video
https://youtu.be/edAgUBFnu9o
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-24-2023, 12:35 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Made a return trip to Rockport with Cookie (Friday)  to see if we could redeem ourselves from the last trip. This day treated us much better. Maybe that storm from the last time had them hiding their heads. 

Anywho.... we fished our typical rocky to mud flat transitions. Picked up perch pretty steady in the early AM and as the perch bite slowed the Smallies obliged us by getting pretty active. Nothing really big. One perch about 11 inches and the rest were 7-9. The bass were typical RP Smallies. We kept a few for lunch and sent the others on their way with a stern talking to about chasing foam bugs on a string.

We fished our homemade pugly perch bugs tipped with a worm about six inches on a drop shot set up. Had to switch to Pats patented hanger shots as  the rocks were eating our drop shot sinkers like popcorn at a Marvel Movie. We caught most of the perch on the deadstick vs the active jigging rods. Seems letting them sit for a few minutes then just a very suttle twich got them worked up.

I am very encouraged with the number of 2-5 inch smallies schooled up around the rock edges. Looks like a great crop of youngns coming up and so many bait fish that everything should be growing fast.

Link to video

Way to go you two, what a turn around from your last trip there and one of your better video's Lance, thanks for sharing it with us. Pretty amazing how far that water has come up since last Fall, much easier hike down to the water and back it looks like.
Did you see any of those boaters catching fish out there in front of you there?
Yes we did Curt. The cowbell trollers were getting some bows and we watch a yak attack on smallies. Looked like he was tossing ned rigs from our view.

(07-24-2023, 01:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-24-2023, 12:35 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Made a return trip to Rockport with Cookie (Friday)  to see if we could redeem ourselves from the last trip. This day treated us much better. Maybe that storm from the last time had them hiding their heads. 

Link to video

Way to go you two, what a turn around from your last trip there and one of your better video's Lance, thanks for sharing it with us. Pretty amazing how far that water has come up since last Fall, much easier hike down to the water and back it looks like.
Did you see any of those boaters catching fish out there in front of you there?

I responded about the boat fishermen but thanks on the video. We thought it was maybe our best one. Trying to come up with an idea and then a script is hard because it all flys out the window when you open the truck door cause the fish don't bother reading the script. I find the whole process fascinating and am completely emmersed right now in training on how to edit video and sound. It is fun and frustrating at the same time. A sneak peek at our next one. I found an old insect net and have my eye on some long legged bugs out in the tall grass.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Fun video thanks for posting it. I'm hitting East Canyon next, but Rockport and Echo trips aren't far behind. I've always liked fishing Rockport. 

Since you fished Friday before a 3 day holiday weekend was there a lot of power boats on the water before you left. The water looked pretty calm.
(07-24-2023, 04:55 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Fun video thanks for posting it. I'm hitting East Canyon next, but Rockport and Echo trips aren't far behind. I've always liked fishing Rockport. 

Since you fished Friday before a 3 day holiday weekend was there a lot of power boats on the water before you left. The water looked pretty calm.

There were a fair number of craft up in the inlet chasing critters but the main lake was pretty peaceful for a Friday. Echo on the other hand was a madhouse when we drove by.
Yes I agree I thought it was your best video to date, loved the music you used and using the trees or brush to come up from was a nice touch.
(07-24-2023, 06:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Yes I agree I thought it was your best video to date, loved the music you used and using the trees or brush to come up from was a nice touch.

Daddy thought I was special but momma always believed I could be taught a few things if I tried hard enough
Catchinon and I were headed up there last Saturday but he couldn’t make it last minute so I made a solo trip and tried dropshotting for the first time. It worked well, but you must have educated all of the bigger fish. The biggest perch I caught was 7.5 inches, with the longest smallmouth going 7 inches. I also lost several drop shot weights. I may have taken a short cut a little on the jigs, but added some details to several Northland gum drop floating jig heads, see photo. Caught most fish on the greener version shown. 

Thanks for the inspiration! It made for a fun morning until the wind and waves came up and silted up the near shore water. 

[Image: 3-E4-B655-A-CEFC-45-F7-B8-D5-40-DAEE49880-A.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
(08-01-2023, 04:01 AM)joatmon Wrote: Catchinon and I were headed up there last Saturday but he couldn’t make it last minute so I made a solo trip and tried dropshotting for the first time. It worked well, but you must have educated all of the bigger fish. The biggest perch I caught was 7.5 inches, with the longest smallmouth going 7 inches. I also lost several drop shot weights. I may have taken a short cut a little on the jigs, but added some details to several Northland gum drop floating jig heads, see photo. Caught most fish on the greener version shown. 

Thanks for the inspiration! It made for a fun morning until the wind and waves came up and silted up the near shore water. 

[Image: 3-E4-B655-A-CEFC-45-F7-B8-D5-40-DAEE49880-A.jpg]
Those are some cool looking mods. I can see why the fish wanted to chomp them