Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookie is at it Again
Took off this week and headed up high for cooler temps, camping, and a bit of fishing.

Camped near the Bear River in the Uintas. Fished forks of the Bear with Grasshoppers, Bourbon Lake (walk in) with flies and spinners, and met up with Cookies' niece and nephews for a little bit of trout action on Whitney

Temps were pretty warm for the high mts. and the horse flies like to have ate me alive. Mosquitos active bit not horrible.

Bear River

I was trying to teach Cookie how I use to catch and fish with live grasshopers. Had some help from my nieces and nephews catching a bunch but the area we were catching them in had mostly smaller newly hatched hoppers. Everyone i got on a hook got a bite either drifting on the surface or with a tiny split shot - however because they were so small and tender the slightest bit would tear off the hopper so my bite - to hook - to land ratio, was not so good (did get some on the bank). Had hoped to shoot of video of the method but need bigger hoppers. Will put a couple shorts out with the footage. I will say the hopper bite is still not at its best up there. A few more weeks and it should be great.

Burbon Lake.

This is a small walk in lake off 150 with brookies. Never caught any real size in it but utilizing a old jeep trail we can get close enough for Cookie to walk in with her MS. It was a mid day trip, so not prime time but they had pretty stead action off gold and silver bling for some pretty mt brookies. (side note: all my intel suggest that Whiskey had a hard winter and there are not many Grayling left - have not confirmed that report myself))

Whitney.

This lake has been hit hard but stocked a bunch too. Tons of little 4 inch tigers and still plenty of rainbows and bigger tigers to keep kids like me happy. Birds of prey were having a feast - fun to watch them. Cookie is fascinated with all the commercial trout baits available and wanted to shoot a video comparing a few different types so we went to Cabelas and picked up 10 or 12 bottles. She opted to test Powerbait corn and garlic vs. Gulp corn nuggets and garlic. Her niece and nephews had a good time and wanted a video with them in it so we made one - link below. In short corn flavor won the day. Now she wants to test the cheese flavor baits against the old velveta chesse that she used as a kid. Its good to have a bride that comes up with reason to go fishing

Back to bothering smallmouth this week with a new drop shot hook - should be fun.

https://youtu.be/jy1pR7lNgPM

I am hoping to take next June and explore British Columbia for a month. I will post about that soon but if you have any info or advice I will be seeking it over the course of the winter as we plan the adventure (Will be a RV trip)
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
What happened to the focusing? It started out good then went immediately downhill. I tried crossing my eyes to focus.  Huh Still enjoyed the adventure.  Cool
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(07-31-2023, 01:44 PM)Bduck Wrote: What happened to the focusing? It started out good then went immediately downhill. I tried crossing my eyes to focus.  Huh Still enjoyed the adventure.  Cool

So did it get blurry at some point I shot the second part of the fottage (when the kids joined us) on a different day and I dont think my lens was clean

if that is not what you mean then I still think I have some issues with rendering. I upgraded my video editing software and may not have the settings right

Curious if anyone else is seeing the issue
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
When filming the kids, there is a smudge on the left side of your lens, but not a huge problem.
I thought it was great! You guys do fishing right, always looks like fun when you're out getting it done.
Thanks for the report. Sure looks like a fun time. I hear ya on the deer/horse flies. They were bad at Current Creek a week or so ago.