Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle
We fished Jordanelle Sunday, my down rigger began “ singing “ loudly so we did not troll. There were plenty of trollers around the buoys at the rock cliff end, so many it was difficult to stay clear of them.
(07-31-2023, 12:18 PM)fishgiver Wrote: We fished Jordanelle Sunday, my down rigger began “ singing “ loudly so we did not troll. There were plenty of trollers around the buoys at the rock cliff end, so many it was difficult to stay clear of them.
It is the nature of the beast and is caused by the depth of the DR weight, the trolling speed, and the size of the weight used.  I've learned to just ignore it.  Now, it is just background noise that my brain tends to tune out.  Sort of like living close to railroad tracks; after awhile, you just don't notice the trains rumbling by.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-31-2023, 12:18 PM)fishgiver Wrote: We fished Jordanelle Sunday, my down rigger began “ singing “ loudly so we did not troll. There were plenty of trollers around the buoys at the rock cliff end, so many it was difficult to stay clear of them.

How fast where you going? I have never had a down rigger cable sing at the typical speeds I fish for kokanee or trout less than 2 mph. You probably need to just slow down.
Agree with Obi. I use a 10lb weight and have never heard my riggers "sing" at speeds under 2.5. If it really is an issue switch to braided line. No humming and less blowback as line diameter is thinner. Also never kinks. Downside is the stuff has a tendency to wrap around everything as it is also very limp. Really need to keep constant tension on it when not in use. I don't always remove my riggers with cable when trailering but I always do it with the braided line.
The buoy line area is a hot spot for bows but not usually for Kokenee until they start to stage for spawn. Haven't fished back there this year but I suspect by the number of boats I have seen back there that Kokes are being caught.