Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing BC / Canada / Alaska Help
Cookie and I have been toying with the idea of taking the month of June next year and making a long sweep through British Columbia or perhaps the Alaskan Highway with our RV. Intent would be to experience a lot of different fishing opportunities and of course see the amazing sites in these areas. Originally we had planed to do the Alaskan-Canadian highway but have been looking at option of just a big circle in British Columbia or some loop through through Canada in general (the Alcan is not out of the running as I have always wanted to drive it). Would like to get a mix species bag option. Mostly considering unguided bank fishing options but we might splurge on a bit of help here and there including a sea run - not limited the options right now. 

If you have any thoughts or experience on such an adventure we would love to hear about it. We would be using an RV - most likely our truck and trailer but considering a smaller class motor home option and maybe a few motels/lodges on the way to give us an RV break. 

Love to hear about the do and don'ts from anyone who has attempeted this.

I should note that with Buckwheat and his wheelchair and Cookie and her MS the pace light and fun - not me just speeding to the next fishing hole Smile
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Make sure to include the Cassiar Highway as a route to your trip.

Head through Banff and Jasper. No trip to that area is complete without seeing those Parks.
From Jasper, take Highway 16 to Prince George, and on to Kitwanga. This will get you to the Cassiar Highway (37). The area from Prince George to Houston is known as the "Lakes District". There is more water in this area than you can ever hope to imagine fishing. Salmon, pike, trout, lake trout, grayling.....whatever you want. You could head to Terrace and get some world class salmon fishing on the Skena River. Heck, continue to Prince Rupert and take the ferry back through the inland passage to Port Hardy, drive across Vancouver Island, then on to Vancouver / Seattle, if you want that to be your loop. Or, get back to the Cassiar all the way up to Watson Lake and the Liard River -- the Liard is WAY cool!! Take the 97 back down to Fort Nelson, Dawson Creek and Grand Prairie.

This would be fantastic trip -- something you'll never forget, and something you'll want to do again, and again, and again....

Once word of advice, considering that you're towing a trailer: As you get further north (upper Cassiar, Watson Lake, etc...) the roads will get worse. Expect sections of road (miles and miles) to be dirt, and under construction. Take your time! Go slow! Don't rip your bumper off your truck hitting frost heaves. Take an extra (or two) spare tires for the trailer, and maybe truck.

Be ready to fall in love with some spectacular country.
If sticking to the coast driving north from the Seattle area visiting Birch Bay can be really fun. There's an RV park there. If you are there during a minus tide you can wade out really far never even getting to waist deep and find huge crabs and even small flounder you can catch by hand. There is a nice water park if that's your fancy. Or just sit on the beach and just RELAX.
(07-31-2023, 03:49 PM)PBH Wrote: Make sure to include the Cassiar Highway as a route to your trip.

Head through Banff and Jasper.  No trip to that area is complete without seeing those Parks.
From Jasper, take Highway 16 to Prince George, and on to Kitwanga.  This will get you to the Cassiar Highway (37).  The area from Prince George to Houston is known as the "Lakes District".  There is more water in this area than you can ever hope to imagine fishing.  Salmon, pike, trout, lake trout, grayling.....whatever you want.  You could head to Terrace and get some world class salmon fishing on the Skena River.  Heck, continue to Prince Rupert and take the ferry back through the inland passage to Port Hardy, drive across Vancouver Island, then on to Vancouver / Seattle, if you want that to be your loop.  Or, get back to the Cassiar all the way up to Watson Lake and the Liard River -- the Liard is WAY cool!!  Take the 97 back down to Fort Nelson, Dawson Creek and Grand Prairie.

This would be fantastic trip -- something you'll never forget, and something you'll want to do again, and again, and again....

Once word of advice, considering that you're towing a trailer:  As you get further north (upper Cassiar, Watson Lake, etc...) the roads will get worse.  Expect sections of road (miles and miles) to be dirt, and under construction.  Take your time!  Go slow!  Don't rip your bumper off your truck hitting frost heaves.  Take an extra (or two) spare tires for the trailer, and maybe truck.

Be ready to fall in love with some spectacular country.
Been studying that route you suggest. Watched some youtubers RV it. It looks amazing. Definitely on the top of the list

(07-31-2023, 04:50 PM)jjannie Wrote: If sticking to the coast driving north from the Seattle area visiting Birch Bay can be really fun. There's an RV park there. If you are there during a minus tide you can wade out really far never even getting to waist deep and find huge crabs and even small flounder you can catch by hand. There is a nice water park if that's your fancy. Or just sit on the beach and just RELAX.

I have been promising my bride for years a run around Victoria and a trip up the inside passage. She could sit in a tide pool forever. Or at least until I yell shark. Then I am sitting in it with a lump on my head.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
My wife and I have driven to Alaska twice, once on the inland highway, once on the ALCAN highway. When taking the inland highway we drove up to Rupert BC and caught the ferry from there to Juneau Alaska. There are two routes, the long route and the short one, you just stop at more locations on the long route but all stops have some special appeal and we took our car, I know you can take a truck and trailer but you would have to ask them about a motor home. We stayed for 4 or 5 days in Juneau before we came back but there is so much to see it turned out to be an awesome trip, lots of fishing in the Juneau, mainly salmon. Not sure what the cost is now but when we went the ferry cost $500 for me, $500 for my wife and $500 for our car and that was round trip, so that was around $1,500 total.
CowboyPirate Wrote:Love to hear about the do and don'ts from anyone who has attempeted this.

I should note that with Buckwheat and his wheelchair and Cookie and her MS the pace light and fun - not me just speeding to the next fishing hole

Do's:
Take a sign from your home town. Stop at Watson Lake and post your sign at the Watson Lake Signpost forest.
https://yukoninfo.com/watson-lake-signpost-forest/
Stop and check out the Yukon River gorge at Miles Canyon (Whitehorse).
Read the poem: The Cremation of Sam McGee
Then spend a night in Whitehorse and visit some of Sam's old stomping grounds.
If you continue on the Alcan towards Alaska, stop at Sheep Mountain on Kluane Lake.
Drive across the Liard River.
Take a dip in the Liard Hot Springs.
Banff / Jasper -- absolutely, do NOT miss driving through Banff and Jasper (Ice Fields Parkway)!
Stop and see the Athabasca Glacier and the Columbia Icefield -- the beginnings of rivers that flow to the Pacific Ocean (Fraser and Columbia River), Atlantic Ocean / Hudson Bay (Saskatchewan River), and the Arctic Ocean (Athabasca River --> McKenzie River).
Stop and see Sunwapta Falls.
Stop and see Athabasca Falls.
Take the Jasper SkyTram.
Play golf at Fairmont Banff Springs golf course.
Enjoy the views at Lake Loiuse.
Get a root beer float in Vanderhoof.
Check out the Fulton River spawning channels on Babine Lake (depending on timing of Sockeye salmon run).
Stop in Houston and inquire about fishing. Lot's of guide services here.
Stop at Telkwa, and drive over the bridge at the confluence of the Bulkley and Telkwa river -- see if any salmon are running.
Stop and watch the First Nations people dip-net salmon from the Bulkley River at Witset Canyon.
Pull the RV into the Ksan Campground RV park for a night at the confluence of the Bulkley and Skeena River.
Stop at a local farmer's market / flea market and buy some fresh fruit or vegetables, a trinket, or souvenir.

Don't:
Hurry.
Try to include Alaska and Canada in the same trip. There's too much to see in Canada. Make Alaska it's own trip.