Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake - Summer Fishing
Question for those that frequent Utah Lake during summer… I was looking for local “warmwater” options to get my float tube out in the evenings (quick trips) and portions of Utah Lake are close enough to fit this description. However, before I get myself into trouble (maybe a violation in etiquette):

Is floating/fishing in, and around, the boat harbors acceptable… or would I be “in the way” and strongly discouraged?

And while I am at it… are the harbors worth fishing at all during summer?

I would be strictly targeting panfish with the fly rod.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
(08-01-2023, 04:32 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote: Question for those that frequent Utah Lake during summer… I was looking for local “warmwater” options to get my float tube out in the evenings (quick trips) and portions of Utah Lake are close enough to fit this description. However, before I get myself into trouble (maybe a violation in etiquette):

Is floating/fishing in, and around, the boat harbors acceptable… or would I be “in the way” and strongly discouraged?

And while I am at it… are the harbors worth fishing at all during summer?

I would be strictly targeting panfish with the fly rod.

As long as you're outside the main concourse of the harbors, you will be just fine. I think of Provo Harbor - there is a marked channel, but also a very large impoundment to the south. If you aren't loitering in the channel in the way of boats coming and going, I don't see the issue.

Some of the other harbors, such as Saratoga and Lincoln Beach, there's not nearly as much room, and you might need to find a corner to hug.

The harbors are always worth fishing because there's often inflows as well as rock jetties. They offer structure, in a largely structure-less lake.
Provo State park, American Fork, Pelican Point, and Lindon all have areas where you can launch a tube w/o interfering with boat traffic. AF has a couple of spots on the outside that are good to launch, Pelican Point has a whole second area for kayaks, tubes etc. Lindon is TD's favorite launch site, and there is another public ( no fee ) just south of Lindon with a ramp down to the water. You can also go down to the south end of the lake and find many access points to launch a tube. Just drive around the lake and look for public access points. to launch at !! Have fun !!
I am attaching a PDF file of the list of access points as provided by DWR.  This list is from 2017 and there have been changes and new sites added since then.  But it should serve as a good place to start.  Also attaching a "map pack".

Fly rodding for bluegills, green sunfish and crappie can be good wherever you find the right depth with some vegetation...reeds, etc.  Along the south dike at Lincoln Beach and back up into the shallow arm to the south has been good at times.  Ditto for fishing both inside and outside the "L" in that area.  They cleared out the phrags from one of the old launch ramps inside the L last year and that might make it both a good place to launch and a good place to fish.

Attached Files
.pdf   DWR UL ACCESS 2017.pdf (Size: 847.17 KB / Downloads: 19)
.pdf   UTAH LAKE MAP PACK 2017.pdf (Size: 6.49 MB / Downloads: 19)
Good morning Everyone,

Thank you so much for the help and advice! And Tube Dude, legendary, thank you for the attached files.

I was poking around online and found this link to an interactive map for Utah Lake access points… not sure how up-to-date it is, but still a good resource: Utah Lake access

Lindon and American Fork areas are probably closest to me for an “after dinner” trip (I live in Sandy). Area around the Provo inlet and Lincoln Beach look inviting as well. I used to ice fish Lincoln Beach and American Fork Harbor frequently and did quite well on all panfish (even the occasional Yellow Perch), so I have been wanting for a while to get the fly rod and tube out.

I will report back with any success (or lack thereof).

Thanks again!
(08-02-2023, 02:11 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote: Good morning Everyone,

Thank you so much for the help and advice! And Tube Dude, legendary, thank you for the attached files.

I was poking around online and found this link to an interactive map for Utah Lake access points… not sure how up-to-date it is, but still a good resource: Utah Lake access

Lindon and American Fork areas are probably closest to me for an “after dinner” trip (I live in Sandy). Area around the Provo inlet and Lincoln Beach look inviting as well. I used to ice fish Lincoln Beach and American Fork Harbor frequently and did quite well on all panfish (even the occasional Yellow Perch), so I have been wanting for a while to get the fly rod and tube out.

Thanks again!
Lindon has lots of good fly flingin' panfish potential.  Two best spots are 1. between the harbor and the Battle Creek inlet.  2.  The whole reedy shoreline between the harbor and the bubbleup.  But if you get to the bubbleup it can be fun playing with the whities on a fly rod along the pipe too.  Good luck and let us know what you find.

Thanks again!
Surprised that the Jordon river hasn't been mentioned, at the outlet. I have tubed down through there and ran out of time before I ever ran out of river. Banging the banks with a silver or white bugger will work.  Do not be surprised if you hook into a big cat or a bass either.  I would rig for it, myself.  Other place would be Provo Boat harbor.  I would launch at the old ramp on the south side of the dike, TD has it marked as "small launch ramp" in the middle picture of panel #4. Fin across and bang those reed island banks with poppers, big poppers on a 7wt. The area is known for holding pike. Hair Frogs, Gurglers, game changers...
(08-02-2023, 03:47 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:

Thanks again!
Surprised that the Jordon river hasn't been mentioned, at the outlet. I have tubed down through there and ran out of time before I ever ran out of river. Banging the banks with a silver or white bugger will work.  Do not be surprised if you hook into a big cat or a bass either.  I would rig for it, myself.  Other place would be Provo Boat harbor.  I would launch at the old ramp on the south side of the dike, TD has it marked as "small launch ramp" in the middle picture of panel #4. Fin across and bang those reed island banks with poppers, big poppers on a 7wt. The area is known for holding pike.  Hair Frogs, Gurglers, game changers...
Good suggestion.  Back in the OLDEN days, I used wade and fish that area between the Provo River and the airport.  Did well on smaller stuff during the day.  But in those days there were also a lot of largemouth bass that hung out there.  On a moonlit night I was catching a few bass on poppers when I noticed some unusual slurps and rises around one weed bed.  Flipped one of my poppers in there and was amazed to hang a walleye...and then a few more.  They were in there feeding either on big emerging aquatic insects or young of the year fry of some species.  One of the only times I have ever taken walleyes on topwater.
Good morning All,

Thanks again for the additional info. Thinking that I will be targeting Lindon, American Fork, and Provo inlet (launch) in the upcoming evenings… all within (or close to) half hour drive of home. Now I just need Mother Nature to cooperate.

I will report back any findings!
(08-03-2023, 01:58 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote: Good morning All,

Thanks again for the additional info. Thinking that I will be targeting Lindon, American Fork, and Provo inlet (launch) in the upcoming evenings… all within (or close to) half hour drive of home. Now I just need Mother Nature to cooperate.

Remember that each of those places has a different charging entity. Meaning your state parks pass is only good at state parks, you can slip into AF on the beach, the Bubble up I don't think has a fee, AF, pay AF. Lindin, pay Lindin ect, ect,ect.
Just a reminder to bring the correct pass or expect to pay some money at many places.
(08-03-2023, 11:43 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 01:58 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote: Good morning All,

Remember that each of those places has a different charging entity.  Meaning your state parks pass is only good at state parks, you can slip into AF on the beach, the Bubble up I don't think has a fee, AF, pay AF.  Lindin, pay Lindin ect, ect,ect.
Just a reminder to bring the correct pass or expect to pay some money at many places.

Thanks and yes I was thinking about that. I don't frequent State Parks very much so the only annual pass I get my money's worth out of is the one for Uintas/Alpine Loop. Others I pay as I go.