Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A first for me
I can't even imagine how many times I have fished Strawberry, but last week I caught a couple fish on a black plastic tube jig.
This was a first for me.
I have caught piles of em on black woolly buggers and is my go to color.  I often try just because of the principle of the thing but never have had success.

Kind of funny but I  seem to catch very few on white wooly buggers but this is my go to color for plastic and literally catch hundreds on it.
Interesting.

Whenever someone watches me catch a fish, and asks in a less-than-humble way what I'm catching them on, I always lie and say I am catching them on "black jigs". It's become a running joke among my friend group that I'm always fishing with black jigs. I caught a sailfish in Costa Rica back in May and when I posted a photo on social media, my buddies were commenting "black jig?"

I guess I need to make up a new lie, since black jigs apparently work.
The right day and black does very well... I always keep one available, especially the one with the chartreuse tail, but that is mostly on small mouth waters, I typically haven't used the plastic jigs much for trout. (well except for Bear Lake) Interesting combos you mention, guess it's always good to adjust colors and lures, thanks for the reminder... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-01-2023, 05:58 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: Interesting.

Whenever someone watches me catch a fish, and asks in a less-than-humble way what I'm catching them on, I always lie and say I am catching them on "black jigs". It's become a running joke among my friend group that I'm always fishing with black jigs. I caught a sailfish in Costa Rica back in May and when I posted a photo on social media, my buddies were commenting "black jig?"

I guess I need to make up a new lie, since black jigs apparently work.

The story I use is this.

When asked how many fish I've caught my go to answer is "three".

I have no idea how many times I have been asked during the day "how many's that?"   I still answer three.  It's fun with little kids.
(08-01-2023, 04:41 PM)PACMEN Wrote: I can't even imagine how many times I have fished Strawberry, but last week I caught a couple fish on a black plastic tube jig.
This was a first for me.
I have caught piles of em on black woolly buggers and is my go to color.  I often try just because of the principle of the thing but never have had success.

Kind of funny but I  seem to catch very few on white wooly buggers but this is my go to color for plastic and literally catch hundreds on it.

Years ago I used to fish Lee's Ferry, below the dam at Powell, and a black marabou jig  was the go to for trout. You might have inadvertently helped a lot of people catch fish on black jigs Smile
Black jigs, marabou especially deadly for all trout. I also fished lees ferry back in the early 80,s before the high water years that flushed it all away. Caught rainbows to 14lbs, Only lure we ever used was black marabou jigs.
. Tube jigs were just coming into play back then. The big trout loved them too. I have caught many rainbows, browns, cutts, Brookies, tigers and splake on black jigs both feather and plastic. Fish thrn from the Uintahs , boulders, Henry’s lake, Hebgen, Strawberry and rivers and more. Black can be deadly . Hence the name fishing buddies and I have called them for years “Black Death” ? don’t overlook it.
For lake trout I do better with white, Pearl and 136 in tube jigs. Have caught a bunch on white marabou over the years.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Some days, I have caught lots of cutthroat and an occasional rainbow on black tube jigs, at Strawberry. White tube jigs, white with black, blue or brown specks often work well. The whitest white, that one can get, will always catch them, at Strawberry, if they are biting anything.