Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nano-fil
Any body know where I can get some 10 or 12 lbs test Nano-fil?
(08-01-2023, 04:43 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Any body know where I can get some 10 or 12 lbs test Nano-fil?

I'm also a Nano fan.  Haven't bought any for a while and heard it was being discontinued.  But it is available online through several outlets...including Amazon.  Just plug Nanofil into your search engine and compare prices.
On eBay.
On sale until gone... https://www.berkley-fishing.com/line/

I switched to Fireline Ultra 8 when NanoFil got hard to find. It isn't quite as slickerier as Nano, but it doesn't fray like Nano, either. But now I see they've discontinued that, too. Booger.
(08-01-2023, 07:05 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 04:43 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Any body know where I can get some 10 or 12 lbs test Nano-fil?

I'm also a Nano fan.  Haven't bought any for a while and heard it was being discontinued.  But it is available online through several outlets...including Amazon.  Just plug Nanofil into your search engine and compare prices.

Have only been able to find 4 lbs and 6 lbs on Amazon.

(08-01-2023, 07:59 PM)Kent Wrote: On eBay.

Tried eBay the other day and was not successful in logging on.
Been 4 or 5 years since I've used it.  Right now that appears to be the only option I have.

Going to Grand daughters soccer games today.  I'll see if my daughter can get me going.

I'm not that good at this computer stuff.
Just checked in on Ebay.  Looks like they have several different sizes and colors available.

LINK TO EBAY NANOFIL
(08-01-2023, 08:55 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: On sale until gone...  https://www.berkley-fishing.com/line/

I switched to Fireline Ultra 8 when NanoFil got hard to find. It isn't quite as slickerier as Nano, but it doesn't fray like Nano, either. But now I see they've discontinued that, too. Booger.

Tried that the other day and all I could find there was 4 lbs.  I bet that would cast.  I imagine it's about as thin as spider web.

At one time I had problems with 6 lbs so I have avoided the 4 lbs.
(08-02-2023, 05:18 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(08-01-2023, 07:05 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Have only been able to find 4 lbs and 6 lbs on Amazon.

(08-01-2023, 07:59 PM)Kent Wrote: On eBay.

Tried eBay the other day and was not successful in logging on.
Been 4 or 5 years since I've used it.  Right now that appears to be the only option I have.

Going to Grand daughters soccer games today.  I'll see if my daughter can get me going.

I'm not that good at this computer stuff.

I buy something on eBay on almost a weekly basis.  I find the prices (including shipping), on eBay, are consistently lower than on Amazon.
Apparently, this is what replaced Nano-Fil

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_...e-BX9.html

You might find a braid you like here:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Braided_...AIDED.html

(I'm intrigued by the Spiderwire UltraCast in aqua camo.)
There is plenty of cheap braid on Amazon. I get 1000 yds for the price of 150 yds nano. It’s not quite the same quality but I don’t swear so much when I get a knot. I use 4lb for small fish and 6 for big fish casting and 8 lb for trolling.
(08-02-2023, 08:27 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Apparently, this is what replaced Nano-Fil

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Berkley_...e-BX9.html 

You might find a braid you like here:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Braided_...AIDED.html 

(I'm intrigued by the Spiderwire UltraCast in aqua camo.)

I like the looks of that  X-9 braid.  I'm gonna try do some checking on it.

Thanks
I just went through some gear and found a new box of Spiderwire Thermally Fused 8#. Didn't know I had it. Looks to be a direct competitor to Nano. Claims to have superior abrasion resistance, which was the weak point (literally) of Nano. I swear that stuff would fray on any but the best line guides.

BTW, I usually fill my reels about halfway with mono, then tie in the braid or whatever I'm using to actually fish with. I have never cast far enough to get close to the mono, although if I did long-line trolling, it might get there. About 50-60 yards of the good stuff is plenty.
(08-04-2023, 04:38 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I just went through some gear and found a new box of Spiderwire Thermally Fused 8#. Didn't know I had it. Looks to be a direct competitor to Nano. Claims to have superior abrasion resistance, which was the weak point (literally) of Nano. I swear that stuff would fray on any but the best line guides.

BTW, I usually fill my reels about halfway with mono, then tie in the braid or whatever I'm using to actually fish with. I have never cast far enough to get close to the mono, although if I did long-line trolling, it might get there. About 50-60 yards of the good stuff is plenty.

It’s plenty until you get a tangle
Hasn't happened yet. I did get a monumental bird's nest in a casting reel recently. Just put it aside until I got home and then picked it out in less than a minute. It took a small wire pick to get to the offending loop. I ought to put one in the boat.
(08-05-2023, 11:26 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Hasn't happened yet. I did get a monumental bird's nest in a casting reel recently. Just put it aside until I got home and then picked it out in less than a minute. It took a small wire pick to get to the offending loop. I ought to put one in the boat.
Well. Duh!   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."