Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton recovery
Any intell regarding the ongoing impact/recovery of Newton from the drought that taken it so low last couple years especially regarding musky and bass?
I hope you get some answers to your inquiry as I have wondered the same thing but have not got a chance to wander that way this summer to check and there seems to be little chatter about it.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Newton gets a little hard to fish in the summer when it’s higher unless you get out there early  all the wake boats out there muddy it up and make it hard to fish the last time I when out a managed a few bass but no muskies the wake boats where doing there thing and couldn’t do much trolling sure wish they would keep the wake boats off there it can be a fun little pond
I seen the division planted a batch of tiger musky in Newton, so there are some new ones on the way... I sure hope they had a good perch, gill, crappie and bass spawn there this year, but I haven't been over to check it out... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-03-2023, 01:05 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I seen the division planted a batch of tiger musky in Newton, so there are some new ones on the way... I sure hope they had a good perch, gill, crappie and bass spawn there this year, but I haven't been over to check it out... Later J

We went last weekend (shore fishing) and couldn't keep the baby bass from biting. Aside from a small perch and one strong tug that I didn't set the hook in time for, baby bass were all we saw.
Hey thanks for that reply, I do know there were a lot of tiny perch last winter, so if you found bass and I know there were still perch... I suspect the crappie and bluegill are probably still there as well, so hopefully with a good spawn for those as well, maybe in 3 years the fishing will get good again... (Hope it won't take that long, but usually seems like it takes longer than I'd like it to) I know it will at least be two years to get the size back to keeper range for the new crop... but it's always good to have a big crop on the way, hope everywhere else is recovering as well... Later J
Well, went to check things out for myself after doing a little research. Newton is currently at 66% of capacity which is 158% of average for this date. Elevation above sea level is 4760 which is 1 ft below the 4761 purportedly where the no wake painted yellow line is on the boat ramp. Hence thought maybe we would avaid the power squad though did not really expect that the no wake is enforced to any extend. Further, no yellow line visible on ramp which perhaps not surprising in that you could barely discern the boat trailer parking unless you got out and looked carefully. So, why would one expect paint on the ramp in spite of the signs which are still there? We trolled and cast for musky with no luck until power squat started to show at 10:30, troll back to dam and out. Amazing the size of what they will put on that small pond. One 30' pontoon with two 250 mercs would get up on plane. A 35' cabin cruiser made a run and then pulled out - maybe trying to sell? Out house were full literally to 2' below seat. What one does not put up with for a chance to fish.
Newton was the last place i took my family camping about three or four years ago, (we had to stay close because my FIL wanted to camp, but couldn't stay over night, so we'd shuttle him back and forth from camp during the daytime.) we found a great spot out on a peninsula that had room for the 3 family trailers, so we set up on a weekday and it was nice the first day or so, but as the weekend rolled in we had people come set up right next to us like 6' from our trailer then they partied all night long with loud thump thump music and folks rolling in clear till 4:00 AM crowding us right out... I gave up on camping after that trip it totally sucked... I prefer to just stay home so I have some space and peace and quiet... But I do live in Benson so I'm used to our nearest neighbor over a 1000' to their property line... Anyway it's Sad that our public areas are getting so over crowded, I guess I was blessed to grow up in a time when you had some room and peace when you went to recreate, sorry it's not still the same... I can definitely become a hermit on the farm so I don't have to deal with the masses... Later J