Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell
Went to Bullfrog to do some maintenance on the house boat to get ready for fall fishing got to fish a few hrs yesterday evening and this morning. Pretty slow fishing for bass did get a few and a handful of big bluegills caught plenty of stripers I counted 6 different boils from Moki to the halls bouy Field they are a hoot to get on top water
Did / are the water levels impacting your house boat location or use?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-02-2023, 11:39 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Did / are the water levels impacting your house boat location or use?

It's a small boat as far as house boats go and we have it on a trailer in dry storage the lake is high enough for the main ramp to be used so we can launch before they extended the ex ramp we couldn't launch.
I spent last week at Padre Bay and the fishing was great! We trolled cranks and caught bass and stripers and then casted cranks and jigs when we got within casting distance of a boil. (pretty much anything will work in a boil) Kids also caught cats off the back of the houseboat. The fish are fat and healthy! No anorexic stripers like happens sometimes at Powell. I agree that it doesn't get much better than casting into a boil and hooking a 4 pound fat striper! Good times.
(08-02-2023, 10:58 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: Went to Bullfrog to do some maintenance on the house boat to get ready for fall fishing got to fish a few hrs yesterday evening and this morning. Pretty slow fishing for bass did get a few and a handful of big bluegills caught plenty of stripers I counted 6 different boils from Moki to the halls bouy Field they are a hoot to get on top water

How big were the stripers in the boils? It seems like this time of year they can be all 12-14 inches, 16-18 inches or 20 to 24 inches.
(08-03-2023, 05:37 PM)Piscophilic Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 10:58 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: Went to Bullfrog to do some maintenance on the house boat to get ready for fall fishing got to fish a few hrs yesterday evening and this morning. Pretty slow fishing for bass did get a few and a handful of big bluegills caught plenty of stripers I counted 6 different boils from Moki to the halls bouy Field they are a hoot to get on top water

How big were the stripers in the boils? It seems like this time of year they can be all 12-14 inches, 16-18 inches or 20 to 24 inches.

All the strips were in 12 to 14 inch range these are the one we like to eat the best the red meat isn't as thick and l think they aren't quite as oily. My opinion of course
We just got back from a week on the lake, and was in Padre as well. Fishing was tougher than I had hoped for. The stripers were boiling, but they only stayed up for a minute or two. Everyone in our group at least got a few on top water. In between boils we also trolled cranks for the occasional hookup. Stripers were 16-18” and 22-24” and healthy. Great trip barring the insane amount of wake boats and it was hot- we expected both. Limited our fishing to 6:00 am-10:00.
(08-03-2023, 10:29 PM)Bubman1 Wrote:
(08-03-2023, 05:37 PM)Piscophilic Wrote:

All the strips were in 12 to 14 inch range these are the one we like to eat the best the red meat isn't as thick and l think they aren't quite as oily. My opinion of course
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping you would say. I think that size makes the best table fare as well!